resources for learning neuroanatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afugazzi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M4 going into neuro. I'm going to have a buttload of free time before intern year starts. Obviously the majority of this will be spent improving my character in Skyrim, etc., but as I can only play video games so many hours a day, I thought it might be good to spend a little time learning some basic neuro stuff.

My knowledge of neuroanatomy, particularly the basic neuromuscular anatomy (e.g., what nerve roots/nerves innervate anterior tibialis and what the heck does anterior tibialis do) blows. Does anyone know any good resource, like an online table or something, summarizing that kind of stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

This gave me such a laugh, I had to post.
...it *is* a joke, right?...

I never joke about Skyrim, son.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Get the book, Aids the the Peripheral Nervous System Exam. It is about 30 dollars and is about 30-40 pages. It is a pretty concise/user friendly guide to what muscles do and how they are innervated, particularly clinically relevant ones. If you know most of the material in the book you will be better off than most people entering neuro residency. Next google "Learn to draw the brachial plexus in 5 minutes". Once you are good at drawing it, work on integrating the details from the book with the drawing.

This book looks awesome - thanks so much for this advice!

You could also try "Neuroanatomy Draw it to Know It." It's a thick book but you could just use what you needed.

You could also try "Neuroanatomy Draw it to Know It." It's a thick book but you could just use what you needed.

They have turned the book into website and iPad app to follow along the tutorials... There's this coupon on Facebook Royal15

As a clinician, I always found it easier to remember if it was rooted in a case. Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases by Hal Blumenfeld. Good text.

Also, Neurological Differential Diagnosis by Patten. Old school, but some really useful Neuroanatomy there, again through cases.

There is a lot of neuroanatomy that you can learn, that has no practical relevance besides gunning for the top RITE score. Ooh, let's list the intralaminar nuclear group of thalamic nuclei!