Resources for step-by-step calculations on parenteral nutrition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rawlithium

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking for resources on how to figure out how much of macronutrients and micronutrients need to be in parenteral nutrition. I'm finding myself in a conundrum of a medical resident assigning me to figure out everything that goes into a PN bag, and the critical care pharmacist isn't always around to help me. Does anyone have any resources on where to start? I have a good idea about how to figure out how much protein to give, but I'm a little clueless on how to figure out how much dextrose, lipids, and then how to make that fit with the osmolarity of the PN? And then like how to figure out how much fluids from TPN they should be receiving? I'd appreciate any input, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I am looking for resources on how to figure out how much of macronutrients and micronutrients need to be in parenteral nutrition. I'm finding myself in a conundrum of a medical resident assigning me to figure out everything that goes into a PN bag, and the critical care pharmacist isn't always around to help me. Does anyone have any resources on where to start? I have a good idea about how to figure out how much protein to give, but I'm a little clueless on how to figure out how much dextrose, lipids, and then how to make that fit with the osmolarity of the PN? And then like how to figure out how much fluids from TPN they should be receiving? I'd appreciate any input, thanks!
A quick google search turned up this calculator:

And their recommended reading had a (broken) link to this which seems sufficiently comprehensive (but is A few years old):

Reactions: 1 users
A quick google search turned up this calculator:

And their recommended reading had a (broken) link to this which seems sufficiently comprehensive (but is A few years old):

Thank you! I've seen the calculator but I appreciate the reading too!