Restroom & Retail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FoamD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Isn't it a violation of the law to leave the pharmacy area unsupervised by a pharmacist? What happens if you are about to experience a diarrhea episode and the restroom isn't directly connected to the pharmacy area, and the chain that you work for doesn't provide lunch breaks to use the restroom? Would sneaking off to the restrooms (and leaving the pharmacy area unsupervised) be a terminable offense? Serious question.

Members don't see this ad.

Per federal pharmacy law, you can use the restroom if you have explosive diarrhea. You are limited to 5 minutes. However, you must have your cell phone with you just in case a pharmacist consultation is needed.

Reactions: 1 users
Isn't it a violation of the law to leave the pharmacy area unsupervised by a pharmacist? What happens if you are about to experience a diarrhea episode and the restroom isn't directly connected to the pharmacy area, and the chain that you work for doesn't provide lunch breaks to use the restroom? Would sneaking off to the restrooms (and leaving the pharmacy area unsupervised) be a terminable offense? Serious question.
It's illegal in many states, but will never be enforced by the BOP.

Members don't see this ad :)
In CA, you're allowed to leave pharmacy for 30 mins. Unless your company has a more stringent policy (Walmart), you can leave the pharmacy for 30 mins

Reactions: 1 user
I use the rest all the time at work . You don't have to have explosive diarrhea to go use the rest room. If it's illegal in your state, then the company you work for should have made provision for their pharmacists. I wont work for a company that will terminate me for using the restroom.

Your state pharmacy law probably includes a provision for the pharmacist to leave temporarily, sometimes even for an entire lunch break, WITHOUT shutting down the whole pharmacy.

In Florida:

64B16-28.109
(1) The prescription department of any community pharmacy permittee shall be considered closed whenever the establishment is open and a pharmacist is not present and on duty. [next sentence omitted]
(2) The term “not present and on duty” shall not be construed to prevent a pharmacist from exiting the prescription department for the purpose of consulting or responding to inquiries or providing assistance to patients or customers, attending to personal hygiene needs, taking a meal break pursuant to Rule 64B16-27.1001, F.A.C., or performing any other function for which the pharmacist is responsible, provided that such activities are conducted in a manner consistent with the pharmacist’s responsibility to provide pharmacy services.

This is something that will never be enforced. In many pharmacies there are parts of the store under the pharmacists area (an OTC area) that are not in view of the pharmacy department. We are still expected to go to these places with customers to answer questions. How is that different than being in the restroom?

1. Depends on your state.

2. If you have to ask this question - what the hell does this say about the profession/company you work for?????

Reactions: 3 users
I use the rest all the time at work . You don't have to have explosive diarrhea to go use the rest room. If it's illegal in your state, then the company you work for should have made provision for their pharmacists. I wont work for a company that will terminate me for using the restroom.

I would check on this. I am pretty sure you have to have "explosive" diarrhea in order to use the restroom.

It's illegal to operate a pharmacy in Oklahoma without a pharmacist inside the pharmacy area which is why so many pharmacists wear diapers

Reactions: 1 users
in texas, u can be on-site but not physically be in the pharmacy. had one lunch, one snack break and one poop break on my shift yesterday

As has been said, depends on the state. If it isn't allowed by the practice act your employer *could* use it as an excuse to write you up or fire you for violating the practice act..though I have never heard of this being used as a reason

Members don't see this ad :)
Wag has some areas where the pharmacist isn't even in the pharmacy anymore. They are usually walking around helping customers all day.

is verification/DUR done remotely?

I think he is referring to the "well experience" pilot stores...last I heard they were in trouble for PCI exposure...haven't heard anything else about them since

this is irrelevant because any self-respecting adult takes bathroom breaks when they need to. quit being a punk

Just say that you are running to the bathroom and be back within 5-10 minutes. I'v never seen a pharmacist who didn't do this and I'v never seen anyone have an issue with it. Just don't exit the building.

Man, just go. It takes 2 minutes to pee, 5 minutes to poop. Some consults takes longer than that. I had to leave the store all the time to move my car when they plowed the parking lot.

i hope to god some of the replies here are being sarcastic

and i really hope the OP isn't seriously afraid to use the bathroom... what the actual ****

I like to take relaxing poops, not 5 minutes push as hard as you can and break off a turd midway and make a wiping mess. How are you supposed to relax and have a proper void when you can feel the red piling up.

I like to take relaxing poops, not 5 minutes push as hard as you can and break off a turd midway and make a wiping mess. How are you supposed to relax and have a proper void when you can feel the red piling up.

One must become immune to caring about metrics if they are to have a relaxing dump and not work off the clock.

Man, when I'm working at the hospital.

"I'm going to the bathroom." = "See you ****ers in 20 minutes."
"Gonna get some coffee, want anything?" = "I'm gonna grab breakfast and bring you back some coffee, be back in 15-20 minutes."

Gotta love it.

in maryland if you have diarrhea you have to call in sick before u can leave the pharmacy. then take a day off.

in maryland if you have diarrhea you have to call in sick before u can leave the pharmacy. then take a day off.

And you have to send a sample to the board within 72 hours as proof.

And you have to send a sample to the board within 72 hours as proof.
I worked with a guy who had his license suspended due to diarrhea. Granted it was Shigellosis, but yeah, the board temporarily suspended him for public health.

What about people with IBS? Take every day off?

What if you are by yourself and have no tech? Legit question.

I usually run off to pee as fast as I can and return to at least one snide comment or a pt asking "hello, is anyone home?"

This post is sad.