Resume vs CV, what to include?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christy101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, recent graduate trying to apply for job. Sometimes I'm not sure whether to use a resume or CV on job search like retail. Should I include anything about my rotations on my 1 page resume? Its not possible to fit to one page if I include rotations. I was thinking of putting my retail rotations only on my resume for retail jobs and hospital rotations for my hospital jobs applications but then a friend told me that will be strange and that section will look incomplete if I leave out other rotations if I plan to put them in. Anyone can give me some insight? Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

CV vs resume is profession dependent, for pharmacy a CV is the norm, you can give a resume if you can put the appropriate info but you're at a disadvantage since it limits you.

I hate when people put their rotations on their resume - I just skim right over that. I know they tell you to do that, but it doesn't really say much about you. IF you are a new grad, I guess you can put that info on it, but focus more on the presentations, projects you have done.

If you have been out of school and just changing RPh jobs, DONT, you can do a CV, without having to put that on it

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate when people put their rotations on their resume - I just skim right over that. I know they tell you to do that, but it doesn't really say much about you. IF you are a new grad, I guess you can put that info on it, but focus more on the presentations, projects you have done.

If you have been out of school and just changing RPh jobs, DONT, you can do a CV, without having to put that on it
That's interesting. So what do you look in terms of experience? Paid intern work? Some of us newer grads don't have that unfortunately.

I created a resume now but have been building my CV since November for residencies/hospital. I have heard CVs are recommended for residency/hospital. I put everything from projects, extra classes and training, etc. for retail, I have heard you don't need as intense of detail, esp don't put hospital on a retail resume because then they will probably wonder why you are trying to do retail and what retail oriented experiences you have.

Make a CV first and then you can easily make a resume from there. I am using my resume for non-hospital jobs, retail and other non-traditional positions I am applying to.

Also feel free to PM me. I am a recent graduate too looking for work. Can exchange experiences, tips and help and it would be nice to keep each other posted

That's interesting. So what do you look in terms of experience? Paid intern work? Some of us newer grads don't have that unfortunately.

I created a resume now but have been building my CV since November for residencies/hospital. I have heard CVs are recommended for residency/hospital. I put everything from projects, extra classes and training, etc. for retail, I have heard you don't need as intense of detail, esp don't put hospital on a retail resume because then they will probably wonder why you are trying to do retail and what retail oriented experiences you have.

Make a CV first and then you can easily make a resume from there. I am using my resume for non-hospital jobs, retail and other non-traditional positions I am applying to.

Also feel free to PM me. I am a recent graduate too looking for work. Can exchange experiences, tips and help and it would be nice to keep each other posted
what you are doing is correct- I just personally think it is a waste, but that is me. But definitely put all experience (hospital, retail, LTC, keeping stats at football game, etc) if you are a new grad, show that you know how to work.

Reactions: 1 user
Somewhat related (and unsolicited):

Don't try to rock a 6 page CV fresh out of school unless you genuinely merit such a beast of a document. Find ways to make it a manageable document, eliminating fluff and focusing on what makes you stand out.

If I was applying for a retail position, I'd definitely have a one page resume, with education, paid internships or previous non-pharmacy employers (if relevant), and certifications.

Somewhat related (and unsolicited):

Don't try to rock a 6 page CV fresh out of school unless you genuinely merit such a beast of a document. Find ways to make it a manageable document, eliminating fluff and focusing on what makes you stand out.

If I was applying for a retail position, I'd definitely have a one page resume, with education, paid internships or previous non-pharmacy employers (if relevant), and certifications.
this - my resume is 2.5 pages - and I have 20x the experience as a new grad

I once saw a CV of a 25 year veteran, it was 27 pages, I read one page and threw it in the shredder bin.

a typical new grad will be pushing it to have 3 pages of legit information

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user