Retail chains with highest projected growth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willrocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

The time has come to pick a company to intern for. As retail is retail, the most important factor in selecting a company is the projected future growth of the chain. Based on your knowledge, which chains are expected to add the most stores in the coming years? WAG and CVS growth has slowed, RAD is not a wise choice for obvious reasons, but chains like Walmart and Target seem hell-bent on expansion. Input?

Best,
William

Members don't see this ad.

CVS and Walgreens are your best bet for growth though that is not anything I would base a decision on....

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd pick Wegmans. I'm trying to figure out why they have not invaded the NYC/Long Island area yet. I think they should be able to take down Pathmark (I hate shopping at Pathmark.)

Wegman's hired three of their interns last year as pharmacists. Great if you have an "in", but otherwise, no dice.

Go for CVS or an independent. I say CVS over Walgreens because I hate the Wags workflow...random labels printing out bother me.

I'd pick Wegmans. I'm trying to figure out why they have not invaded the NYC/Long Island area yet. I think they should be able to take down Pathmark (I hate shopping at Pathmark.)

I think they have some kind of agreement with Kinney that they won't intrude on the others territory (so one is in Western New York, the other is in Central and Downstate New York). This may have just been baseless scuttlebutt, but apparently one doesn't operate in an area where the other does. If anyone can either confirm or deny this, I'd appreciate it.

Hello all,

The time has come to pick a company to intern for. As retail is retail, the most important factor in selecting a company is the projected future growth of the chain. Based on your knowledge, which chains are expected to add the most stores in the coming years? WAG and CVS growth has slowed, RAD is not a wise choice for obvious reasons, but chains like Walmart and Target seem hell-bent on expansion. Input?

Best,
William

No - you need to pick a company based on quality of life issues, so you won't become burned out in 5 years like a lot of folks in retail. I would have definitely made a different choice for interning quite a few years ago if I had had any idea that the job market would fall apart like it has. Now I feel like I may end up being locked into my intern company, even though their pharmacist schedules are crappy.