Retail published top salary rates staff,manager

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickpic007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
CVS has begun putting 82/hr as the top of payscale for rx manager in job postings (this is 170.5K) also they are putting 74/hr as top of payscale for staff in their postings (154K)

WM internally publishes 155K is top for staff, 170K is top for manager, though I am pretty sure there are lots of exemptions for old timers on these at WM

Wanting to know published top rates at other companies please...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this location dependent? 74/hr in CA is much different than say TX or FL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this location dependent? 74/hr in CA is much different than say TX or FL.
No, the published max is 74.xx nationally, but everything is negotiable (funny, CVS recruiter told me to negotiate hard). For most hard to staff/expensive it will be 70s plus sign on (20K and up)

For both RURAL Texas and California, 50K/2 years should be on the table, no matter the cost of living. Cant imagine rent in rural CA being more than 2K a month for 2 or 3 beds.

I got paid $159k as a CVS night shift last year...sooo... Yeah.
Whats your breakdown, when I was Overnights 5 years ago I had 68/hr before midnight and 70/hr midnight to 8AM

How short are they in PA now for night and day floaters?
Once you hit the cap, your raise is going to be 2% even tho inflation is 9%. One way to “increase” your salary is to max out ESPP but only if you can sell immediately after the purchase date.

We might have to cut healthcare cost moving forward. Don’t be too surprised if your earning power keeps going down.

Yes, true, what to do other than ETF and work? Best side hustle?

No, the published max is 74.xx nationally, but everything is negotiable (funny, CVS recruiter told me to negotiate hard). For most hard to staff/expensive it will be 70s plus sign on (20K and up)

For both RURAL Texas and California, 50K/2 years should be on the table, no matter the cost of living. Cant imagine rent in rural CA being more than 2K a month for 2 or 3 beds.

Whats your breakdown, when I was Overnights 5 years ago I had 68/hr before midnight and 70/hr midnight to 8AM

How short are they in PA now for night and day floaters?

Yes, true, what to do other than ETF and work? Best side hustle?

In FL, it’s 2k for 1-2 bedroom apt. Seems way too cheap for California (even rural). Texas sounds right.

Seeing your numbers.... Im getting jipped hard :mad:. This is why its always good to disclose what you are getting with colleagues

these corp s get away with murder

Seeing your numbers.... Im getting jipped hard :mad:. This is why its always good to disclose what you are getting with colleagues

just sent you a DM

Any tips?
look hard at yourself in the mirror and figure out how you are bringing value to the hiring manager.
I am filling a hard to staff spot, which came off of 2 failed managers. I expect my total comp including wages,sign on, annual bonus, 401k to be around 170. If i was in california it would be over 200k easy.

If you are a good floater, you need to jump companies or districts and demand raises or else you wont get hardly any raise.
Floaters can make good money in mileage,drive time in certain companies and states.

If I was young and smart again I would be a california floater, charging for drivetime.

look around, Safeway,cvs,walgreen,walmart all doing 50k and up sign on for just 2 years. also remember both the number of graduates and retail stores are falling. less rphs coming out soon but less stores. retail has never been hated more by students=opportunity for experienced retails

look hard at yourself in the mirror and figure out how you are bringing value to the hiring manager.
I am filling a hard to staff spot, which came off of 2 failed managers. I expect my total comp including wages,sign on, annual bonus, 401k to be around 170. If i was in california it would be over 200k easy.

If you are a good floater, you need to jump companies or districts and demand raises or else you wont get hardly any raise.
Floaters can make good money in mileage,drive time in certain companies and states.

If I was young and smart again I would be a california floater, charging for drivetime.

look around, Safeway,cvs,walgreen,walmart all doing 50k and up sign on for just 2 years. also remember both the number of graduates and retail stores are falling. less rphs coming out soon but less stores. retail has never been hated more by students=opportunity for experienced retails

50k after uncle sam is 30k, 15k per year or $1000ish per month. That’s before having to consider that if you leave are fired (more common than most think), you have to pay it back. APR clauses in some of them too and hourly pay being so low the 50-100k bonuses are a joke, and the working conditions for those stores (they’re not just giving you 50k for no reason, no one else with half a brain wants those stores), better off to negotiate hourly increases.

“Applications” are decreasing, graduates have remained ~15,000 per year, hence the 90%+ acceptance rate.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm not a floater, but I just realized I am making way less than I should be. Definitely going to make some salary demands in the coming weeks.

Reactions: 2 users
50k after uncle sam is 30k, 15k per year or $1000ish per month. That’s before having to consider that if you leave are fired (more common than most think), you have to pay it back. APR clauses in some of them too and hourly pay being so low the 50-100k bonuses are a joke, and the working conditions for those stores (they’re not just giving you 50k for no reason, no one else with half a brain wants those stores), better off to negotiate hourly increases.

“Applications” are decreasing, graduates have remained ~15,000 per year, hence the 90%+ acceptance rate.
Ive heard this APR, but never found out what company?
Ive been told WG is prorate on the bonus. WM is full repayment only if quit or fired for ethics (read-not incompetence or metrics)

CVS 75/100/+28 relo bonus was on top of the 141 salary. 178K+ even for a busy cvs is still respectable. Wasnt able to confirm they are paying the 100 on top of top rate 170.5 salary

I'm not a floater, but I just realized I am making way less than I should be. Definitely going to make some salary demands in the coming weeks.
at my company, staff (non float) is tough, responsible for metrics but small bonus.

same here. I have already requested a meeting with my manager. they have not replied

Members don't see this ad :)

At most corporate-managed pharmacies, they, HR, (more than) frowns up on employees discussing salaries. This would be grounds for termination. So disclose away.

At most corporate-managed pharmacies, they, HR, (more than) frowns up on employees discussing salaries. This would be grounds for termination. So disclose away.
Illegal to terminate for discussing salary. I won’t say it doesn’t happen, but when it does it’s illegal. The employees could sue.

Illegal to terminate for discussing salary. I won’t say it doesn’t happen, but when it does it’s illegal. The employees could sue.
Not just making this up. Having worked for the 4 largest hospital systems in Georgia, this was actually in the employee handbook AND emphasized by HR in various orientations. Good luck with a law suite against a 25000 employee healthcare system. On an actual unlawful termination matter (age discrimination), I consulted with an employment attorney. Was informed that unless I was a minority female, or transgender (transitioning), I would have no case against the Hospital. As a privileged white male, I was SOL.

• Sad
so what do you do when you have been with cvs for 10 years and found out the new grad is making more than you ?

• Angry

New grad rate is 45-50/hr, they might’ve given them more because there’s no one or a temp higher entry, but 75-80/yr is the new grad rates. If you account for COL, it’s lower.

New grad rate is 45-50/hr, they might’ve given them more because there’s no one or a temp higher entry, but 75-80/yr is the new grad rates. If you account for COL, it’s lower.
nope not anymore !

nope not anymore !

Yes, still the case, based on extensive nationwide salary datasheets. It may be somewhat different in your small sample size but it is the case, and will likely get worse once loans resume. Many have admitted they only left pharmacy (for significant pay cuts) only because loan pauses allowed them to. Once the loans come back knocking, it will get to pre COVID times (which many seem to have forgotten), when PGYs couldn’t even get jobs or 28-32 hrs and even PRN was incredibly difficult to get. There is still a massive oversupply of pharmacists, some just confuse the shortage of pharmacists willing to work, with an actual shortage of pharmacists (which hasn’t been the case in almost 10 years).

Not just making this up. Having worked for the 4 largest hospital systems in Georgia, this was actually in the employee handbook AND emphasized by HR in various orientations. Good luck with a law suite against a 25000 employee healthcare system. On an actual unlawful termination matter (age discrimination), I consulted with an employment attorney. Was informed that unless I was a minority female, or transgender (transitioning), I would have no case against the Hospital. As a privileged white male, I was SOL.
An employer violating federal law in writing is not a winnable case?

An employer violating federal law in writing is not a winnable case?

I suspect that they are conflating being asked not to discuss wages with a written policy of terminating for discussing wages. I suspect most HR depts would not be so inept as to have a written policy that so demonstrably violates federal law and would be a slam dunk for any lawsuit.

Then again so many people are afraid to exercise their rights that maybe it is exactly as they describe.

From my experience, the best way to negotiate anything is to give in your 2 weeks. If you're a good employee and they want to keep you, they will bend over backwards to get you to stay (especially during flu season).

First time I gave in my 2 weeks, they told me I can step down from manager and later let me transfer closer to home. Second time I gave in my 2 weeks, I was told to go on leave instead (which I did since I didn't have anything lined up. I just hated CVS). Now they're begging me to come back from leave by offering me a raise, whatever schedule/hour I wanted to work (3 days a week and no Mondays), and transfer to a districted closer to home. I laughed and told them no.

The caveat, of course, is that I already paid off my loans, have a sizeable saving, and living at home. I'm treating this as a sabbatical until I find another job or change career completely.

From my experience, the best way to negotiate anything is to give in your 2 weeks. If you're a good employee and they want to keep you, they will bend over backwards to get you to stay (especially during flu season).

First time I gave in my 2 weeks, they told me I can step down from manager and later let me transfer closer to home. Second time I gave in my 2 weeks, I was told to go on leave instead (which I did since I didn't have anything lined up. I just hated CVS). Now they're begging me to come back from leave by offering me a raise, whatever schedule/hour I wanted to work (3 days a week and no Mondays), and transfer to a districted closer to home. I laughed and told them no.

The caveat, of course, is that I already paid off my loans, have a sizeable saving, and living at home. I'm treating this as a sabbatical until I find another job or change career completely.
Sorry, but even though this has repeatedly worked for you, I just don't see it as standard modus operandi for too many of us! I have been around the block one or two hundred times, but playing chicken with a large corporate HR is suicide.
Here is a funny but sad example:

1998 - a large Hem/Onc Practice hired me to start their infusion center and manage their chemo patients. Extremely nice doctors, it was like having 9 direct supervisors! I was the clinical/compounding pharmacist, ran it for 5 years. The Idea of working inpatient/hospital and 7on/7off got me interested. Put in a one month notice. Their very young HR lady came to me and asked why I was leaving, I said more money and better hours. She asked me how much would it take to keep me, I gave her a figure. She said, that number is no problem, and she would take it to the doctors.
She came back the next day and said
"the doctors wish you lots of luck on your next job!"
negotiations over, good thing I wasn't bluffing about the hospital offer!

Sorry, but even though this has repeatedly worked for you, I just don't see it as standard modus operandi for too many of us! I have been around the block one or two hundred times, but playing chicken with a large corporate HR is suicide.
Here is a funny but sad example:

1998 - a large Hem/Onc Practice hired me to start their infusion center and manage their chemo patients. Extremely nice doctors, it was like having 9 direct supervisors! I was the clinical/compounding pharmacist, ran it for 5 years. The Idea of working inpatient/hospital and 7on/7off got me interested. Put in a one month notice. Their very young HR lady came to me and asked why I was leaving, I said more money and better hours. She asked me how much would it take to keep me, I gave her a figure. She said, that number is no problem, and she would take it to the doctors.
She came back the next day and said
"the doctors wish you lots of luck on your next job!"
negotiations over, good thing I wasn't bluffing about the hospital offer!

I know, which is why I prefaced it with it being from my own experience and also added a caveat at the end stating that I had no problem walking away due to my financial situation.

I would say at this very moment, pharmacists working in retail actually have a lot more negotiating power than before. Retail is hemorrhaging pharmacist right now due COVID burnt outs. There's a new grad who were able to finesse $65/hr in my district and someone else was able to get $80/hr as PIC is another district. I don't even live in a hard to staff area. NY is very saturated but no one wants to work retail anymore, so there's more leverage than before.

Also, other sector of pharmacy has always been harder to negotiate since the jobs are more in demand. I was only referring to retail as I only have experience negotiating in retail.