Retail questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

internPharmD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work as intern for independent pharmacy. Yesterday, I got 2 rx for oxycodone from 2 different doctors for the same patient. One rx was written after the other 1 day. One is #20 and the other is #10. The patient asked me if the insurance would cover both of the rx. However, my question is that if I can fill these 2 rx. Can anyone answer the patient's question and my question.
My second question is that when we send the refill request to MD. As I understand, with some medication such as antibiotics, pt actually needs to make appointment with MD to reevaluate to get a new rx.
My third question, do you usually call the MD to let them know that the rx need authorization or you ask the pt to call?

Members don't see this ad.

I work as intern for independent pharmacy. Yesterday, I got 2 rx for oxycodone from 2 different doctors for the same patient. One rx was written after the other 1 day. One is #20 and the other is #10. The patient asked me if the insurance would cover both of the rx. However, my question is that if I can fill these 2 rx. Can anyone answer the patient's question and my question.
My second question is that when we send the refill request to MD. As I understand, with some medication such as antibiotics, pt actually needs to make appointment with MD to reevaluate to get a new rx.
My third question, do you usually call the MD to let them know that the rx need authorization or you ask the pt to call?

1) I don't fill both prescriptions for CIIs. I put one on hold and fill the other one. Patient can fill the second one after the calculated days (based on the quantity and sig of the prescription). Insurance will not pay for both at the same time.

2) If physician wants patient to make an appointment before getting a new rx, MD can deny the refill authorization request and when patient contacts pharmacy you can tell them their refill authorization request has been denied and they should see their doctor to get a new rx after evaluation.

3) I usually fax doctors to get refill authorization

Last edited:

Where is your pharmacist? She/he should know you won't fill the same medication (C-II no less!) on the same day.. and no the insurance will not pay for both, can't believe the patient would even ask that... he must have noticed you were a newbie and was trying to push his/her luck.

And refill? Do you mean on the C-II? No refills of course. And as for other classes, it depends on the medication and the prescriber. If you get a rx from urgent care/ER, don't bother faxing /calling for refills.

You also call both doctors and let them know they are getting oxy from each other.

I fax everything that can be legally filled via e-RX and let the doctor and patient worry about it

I only call the the doctor if it's an extreme situation, I usually fax. The patient can start calling if they "really" need it fast