Retake Advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banzi22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So today's been a horrible day. I got my MCAT back and got a score of 29, 8VR/11PS/10BS. I was averaging 32- 35 on my AAMCs so I'm pretty shocked. I am a senior and I'm planning on taking a gap year. I only took the MCAT because I didn't want to take the 2015 test and be overwhelmed by it. I consider myself pretty capable of getting a 35 on the real test, but I don't want to make the wrong decision. I'm so surprised at my result...

So here's my question. There's no doubt in my mind that I want to retake because I KNOW, considering my gpa (3.77) and being a chemistry major, that I can do better. However, should I retake the 2014 test that i'd have to study for during the semester and winter break, OR should I prepare for the 2015 test during my gap year? I have taken a psychology course but I don't know what kind of questions the MCAT will ask. Also, I took all the AAMC tests so I don't really know what materials I would use to retake? I'm so disappointed but I'm trying to look on the bright side and not freak out too much. Please help me out guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in an eerily similar boat as you. I plan on still taking the current MCAT (even though I overloaded myself on classes again). My issue is that I have no idea how to study anymore (idk what my study schedule should look like at all or even how to study after I did all that content review...)

I am also in a eerily similar boat... Chemistry major, 3.75 GPA, taking a gap year, and averaging the same numbers, and avoiding the 2015 MCAT like the plague...

Thanks for replying! I feel a little better knowing you guys are in a similar situation. I've been talking to my friends and honestly, I'm leaning towards taking the 2015 test. I have only one year left in college and only a couple months before I'd have to retake the mcat if I decided on taking it in January. My courseload is kinda heavy and I'm trying to shadow some physicians as well. I don't know how much more I could improve with all these distractions and I certainly don't want another disappointment -- I'd like to improve my score by at least 3 to 4 points. What's making you guys feel so strongly about avoiding the 2015 MCAT? Esp if you're taking a gap year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also in a eerily similar boat... , 3.55 GPA and a 30 MCAT...Average was 31-32, I feel I need to pull a 35+ since my gpa isn't so stellar. I know SDN advises against, however I don't want to wonder what if.

I'm debating retake, I checked to sign up and its already full in all exam sites in my state. If I do plan on retaking, I'm going to have to fly out to a state and take it. I really hate the situation we are in where we are rushed to either take the current MCAT or revamp everything and take the new one. If I do retake, its going to be the current one.

Ugh, right? The spots are filling up in my state too... Okay since you might be retaking, what things will you guys strive to do differently? I used up all the AAMCs and I don't know what other material to use..

Thanks for replying! I feel a little better knowing you guys are in a similar situation. I've been talking to my friends and honestly, I'm leaning towards taking the 2015 test. I have only one year left in college and only a couple months before I'd have to retake the mcat if I decided on taking it in January. My courseload is kinda heavy and I'm trying to shadow some physicians as well. I don't know how much more I could improve with all these distractions and I certainly don't want another disappointment -- I'd like to improve my score by at least 3 to 4 points. What's making you guys feel so strongly about avoiding the 2015 MCAT? Esp if you're taking a gap year?

I just don't want to take a six hour long test on new subjects that I'm not prepared for. I've taken sociology, psychology, and biochemistry classes; however, those subjects can be taught vastly differently depending on the professor and curriculum. If I don't break a 30, I will likely take the new MCAT. But I'm going to work hard to make sure that does not happen.

I'm going to follow spinach method to break 34/35 hopefully. I follow Sn2 plan and I feel reflecting back I spent to much time on content review and not enough on practice and analysis afterwards.

Best of luck!

Yeah, ymartino, I'm in the same situation. I've taken those classes before but in a different context, not pre-med related at all. Ugh. I'm trying to aim for a 35 if I retake.
Ugh swolebrah, I did the sN2 method too and it was WAYY too content focused. Half way through I remember thinking wow i really need to focus on the exam but I stuck to the method anyways. What's the spinach method? Also, how long do you think you'll have to properly study for it? Hard decisions...

I'm on my phone so this might contain typos, but my plan is to just try to go over my weak areas with EK 1001 + TPR Hyperlearning . Fully understand missed concepts and then my winterbreak (1 month) just do all of spinach method . My weakness was PS and VR , so that the plan . Again super focused on practice >passive content review !

I remember reading from an official AAMC guide for medical school admission staff that the "true" MCAT score should be regarded as somewhere in the plus/minus 3 range of your actual score (because they're aware that there's some luck components involved, too). Technically, having a 29 already puts you in the favorable range. I would go ahead and apply with it. Not too long ago, one of my sister's friends got into St. Louis med school (one of the top 10 in the country) with a 29, so it's not entirely impossible that you wouldn't get in somewhere. Try writing a really good & captivating PS to prove them that you truly know what issues are going on with the medical profession these days & suggests a clear & better way to fix it from a physician point of view, instead of writing a PS with those cheap & ambiguous "I-want-to-be-an-MD-because-I-want-to-help-people" styles. Apply widely enough & I think you'll make it. Good luck!

Here's the link to that guide:
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/267622/data/mcatstudentselectionguide.pdf

I remember reading from an official AAMC guide for medical school admission staff that the "true" MCAT score should be regarded as somewhere in the plus/minus 3 range of your actual score (because they're aware that there's some luck components involved, too). Technically, having a 29 already puts you in the favorable range. I would go ahead and apply with it. Not too long ago, one of my sister's friends got into St. Louis med school (one of the top 10 in the country) with a 29, so it's not entirely impossible that you wouldn't get in somewhere. Try writing a really good & captivating PS to prove them that you truly know what issues are going on with the medical profession these days & suggests a clear & better way to fix it from a physician point of view, instead of writing a PS with those cheap & ambiguous "I-want-to-be-an-MD-because-I-want-to-help-people" styles. Apply widely enough & I think you'll make it. Good luck!

Here's the link to that guide:
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/267622/data/mcatstudentselectionguide.pdf
Nice appreciate it bro .