Retake classes or Master's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Master's or Retake Classes

• Master's

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Retake Classes

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

youngandambitious1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I will be graduating by the end of this summer. I haven't taken the MCAT's yet but started studying. My sGPA is currently a 2.97(possibly could become a 3.1 if i do well in 2 upper-div. science courses) and a cGPA of 3.33. I was wondering if I should retake some of the prereq science courses or apply to a Master's program and do really well on the upper-division science courses. I am conflicted and am hoping to get into a D.O school, hopefully in New York. If i were to retake the classes i got below a B in, it would be at a CC. Thanks for the responses.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd study and focus on the MCAT first. Once you get a score you can decide whether to do retakes then go DO or do a SMP and go MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I was looking at the Hunter post-bacc program as well. I was wondering if that was a viable option too. The problem with retaking courses with me is that most of the courses I took were 5 credits(3 credit lecture and 2 credit lab seperate) and most schools, instead, have (3 credit lecture and 1 credit lab combined) and grade-replacement wouldn't work. Retaking 3-5 courses in my undergrad would be expensive so I'm conflicted on what to do. Thanks for your input/responses. Much appreciated.

I don't understand why that wouldn't work.
Just use the combined lecture + lab course to replace the lecture only.
AACOMAS allows grade replacement if the new course is equal OR above the original in terms of credits. You just wouldn't replace the lab in this case.

The post bacc will likely be more expensive than retakes.

Actually something new aacomas now allows you to replace a 5 unit class with a 3 unit class. As long as it is the same or similar class you could replace a lesser unit class with one that has more units... Don't bash me on this, I've done my research and there was a thread on here that went through a lengthy debate and it was true. I also called aacomas
(617) 612-2889 and verified it with a supervisor as well. This is a new policy that's been implemented for the first time this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't that only for semester to quarter replacement? I.e 3 unit semester class can replace 5 unit quarter class?

No a 3 unit semester class can replace a 5 unit semester class and same goes for quarter system. I didn't believe it myself when I read it here at first so I called and verified. I suggest u do the same too for your own peace of mind. That number was taken right off the aacomas website

Hey guys, so I will be graduating by the end of this summer. I haven't taken the MCAT's yet but started studying. My sGPA is currently a 2.97(possibly could become a 3.1 if i do well in 2 upper-div. science courses) and a cGPA of 3.33. I was wondering if I should retake some of the prereq science courses or apply to a Master's program and do really well on the upper-division science courses. I am conflicted and am hoping to get into a D.O school, hopefully in New York. If i were to retake the classes i got below a B in, it would be at a CC. Thanks for the responses.

If I were you I would retake your basic pre reqs that you got a C or lower in. While you you retaking the courses it would be the perfect time to study for the MCAT alongside those classes. This way all the material is fresh in your mind. Then if your score comes back good and your GPA ends up being around 3.3 then you could send out applications. If you fail to get in then a SMP or another masters degree at a DO school would be a good idea. I know many people who have had success with an SMP program. I was also successful with a less then stellar MCAT, but a good GPA, so it is possible!

Retake the classes and do some serious test prep.

Don't rush the application, it is long and expensive....so make sure you are ready!

Hope this helps!

----Sean
www.pathtomedicine.com

Actually something new aacomas now allows you to replace a 5 unit class with a 3 unit class. As long as it is the same or similar class you could replace a lesser unit class with one that has more units... Don't bash me on this, I've done my research and there was a thread on here that went through a lengthy debate and it was true. I also called aacomas
(617) 612-2889 and verified it with a supervisor as well. This is a new policy that's been implemented for the first time this cycle.
is this really true?

is this really true?
As I said here's the number from the official aacomas website
(617) 612-2889 call and ask because I was skeptical when I read it off the thread here. The thread was made about a ur ago a little before the start of the 2015 cycle. A lesser unit class can replace a class with a greater amount of units as long as they're the same course. i.e. Immunology 4 units replaced by immunology 3 units. That's my specific case.

Reactions: 1 user

@gonnif @Goro

It's easier to simply retake all F/D/C science coursework.

This has been the official policy for sometime. The issue in the past year was AACOMAS changing its online application system to a third party provider (ie outside company) and there was a very steep learning curve the workers there. There was significant misunderstanding/misunderstanding between AACOMAS policy and the workers doing the verification and processing. The phone number above is the third party provider so perhaps now they will have it correct. I will try to verify directly with AACOMAS on this.
Thank you. I also emailed them asking about this. Update when you verify. Appreciate it!

Last question...sorry just wanted a definite answer. Would it matter if I retake the 4-5 classes at a 2 year CUNY community college vs a 4 year CUNY college(hard to enroll in science classes because of over enrollment)