Retake Dual Enrollment Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hh786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a couple dual enrollment classes in high school at a local CC but due to a lack of maturity,etc. I failed a Gen Physics I class. After completing my first year at a 4 year university, I have a 3.42 GPA and am making a whole-hearted effort for the next 2 years to raise that GPA before applying however I was wondering if I should go back next summer to the CC and retake the Gen Physics I class (they replace the grade but I know AMCAS will average them -- still retaking the class will increase the average?). Additionally, I already took Physics 1 at my university and received an A- in the class. I'm confident I can go back and get an A in the class though I don't know how med schools would feel about community college classes. I want to apply to high tier schools and they don't really care much about them, but they still screen applicants via GPA (taking to account the failed class would be a significant drop obviously).

Furthermore, I'm in sort of a dilemma as a premed. This is really a valuable summer before starting my AMCAS app and I'd like to boost my GPA as stated above, but also I'd like to apply to various REU's / invest my time in a research-intensive internship for a good chunk of the summer. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to take the community college class / other university classes to boost my GPA at the same time.

I'd really appreciate if you could assess everything and give me an informed opinion as to what the best action would be to take. Should I go back in summer and retake the class / take other GPA boosting classes next summer, or should I go to a summer research program/internship if given the chance?

Members don't see this ad.