retake mcat before scores released??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2006DWB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the mcat last Saturday and feel horrible about it. I'm just so uncertain on how I performed and it was all such a blur. I don't even remotely remember even what the first 3 verbal passages were about let alone how I answered. I took 13 practice test and my average was a 30 with an even break down usually. My question is the only spots open to retake are on Nov 7th and I don't forsee any spots coming open after that? Anyone have any advice on if it's too big of a risk to retake before the current scores come out? I never scored below a 27 on a practice test and would take anything above a 25 on the real deal as I'm only applying DO. Like I said I'm just so unsure about my performance and if I did worse than a 25 it was definitely due to nerves since I never scored that low on a practice test. Aamc 11 was the last test I took and scored a 32 on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are unsure about your performance, you probably got no lower than 2-3 points below your average so I would not sign up. I think I did worse on the real thing and ended up only doing slightly (1-2 points) below my average.

I don't think you should retake the exam before you see your score. Who knows, maybe you ended up with above a 30! Waiting would be the best thing to do in this case. Don't make any decisions to retake until you see what score you received.