Retake MCAT for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted731525

I rushed applications to a few DO schools fairly late this cycle(complete late October/Early November) and it looks like I wont be getting in anywhere. The good news is I didnt apply any MD so I wont be a re-applicant for AMCAS. The bad news is that my stats are in that awkward borderline spot for MD where I am not sure if I should retake the MCAT or not. I took it this past June(unprepared tbh, I hadnt taken a biochem course and really halfassed my psych/sociology studying and didnt spend enough time preparing overall). I got a 510 with a 125/131/127/127 breakdown in physics/CARS/bio/sociology and psych. My overall GPA is 3.65 and my science gpa is 3.7x(not sure on the exact sgpa because AACOMAS calculates it differently). So do you think it would be worth it to retake the MCAT for this application cycle? I plan to apply day 1 this time.

Members don't see this ad.

If you've got the money and are willing to do it, I see no reason to say no. I am in a very similar range as you are on both MCAT and GPA, and I've gotten an interview. Never hurts to try if you can swing it.

Why did you take the MCAT without knowing biochem?

I believe a 510 is a 31. That won't keep you out if your sGPA is above 3.6, but it does close doors that you could have potentially had open if you did better.

I don't want to sound preachy, but you rushed the MCAT, you rushed your app cycle this year. Be sure to be on time with the MD cycle to give yourself the best chance

Members don't see this ad :)
Retaking the MCAT depends on a few things:

1) How were your practice tests? If you were scoring around that range or lower, you should definetly NOT retake it.

2) What is your state of residency? This is very important: State of residency is a big factor. If you are a resident of California, you will have difficulty getting accepted with your stats, but if you live in Texas you will probably have a lot of success with those stats.

3) What are your goals? If your goal is to get accepted into a top 20 medical school, you would need to retake. If your goal is to become a doctor, then you should not retake.

Retaking the MCAT depends on a few things:

1) How were your practice tests? If you were scoring around that range or lower, you should definetly NOT retake it.

2) What is your state of residency? This is very important: State of residency is a big factor. If you are a resident of California, you will have difficulty getting accepted with your stats, but if you live in Texas you will probably have a lot of success with those stats.

3) What are your goals? If your goal is to get accepted into a top 20 medical school, you would need to retake. If your goal is to become a doctor, then you should not retake.
I'm in NY and my goal is to get into a U.S. MD school, any US MD school. So I shouldn't retake? Then again NY is a competitive state, Touro NY(a DO school usually has a mcat average over 30). To the other poster I took the mcat without Biochem because I thought I could self study for it and as an older student I wanted to give myself a chance of starting a year earlier. As for practice tests the only one that was available just gave you the percentage you got right.

If you apply broadly (and wisely) then you shouldn't have a problem getting MD interviews with your current stats, given your ECs check out. If you truly think it's worth the time and effort to re-take, and that you can improve significantly then go for it. But unless you're gunning for a top program (it doesn't sound like you are) then I wouldn't bother - you're at or slightly above the medians for most schools.

one other concern, is the 125 in a subsection going to screen me out at a lot of places?

I'm in NY and my goal is to get into a U.S. MD school, any US MD school. So I shouldn't retake? Then again NY is a competitive state, Touro NY(a DO school usually has a mcat average over 30). To the other poster I took the mcat without Biochem because I thought I could self study for it and as an older student I wanted to give myself a chance of starting a year earlier. As for practice tests the only one that was available just gave you the percentage you got right.
I PM'ed you with my advice since our stats are very similar.

Congrats on the acceptance! I think my stats are very similar too :p Would you mind if we chatted a bit via PM as well? I'm looking for all the advice I can get as well.
That's a DO acceptance. Don't have an MD yet, but I'm still hopeful! I PM'ed you too.

That's a DO acceptance. Don't have an MD yet, but I'm still hopeful! I PM'ed you too.
You're future Dr. PugsAndHugs to me! Plus, I have my fingers crossed for you for an MD. I feel like good things are coming your way.

Reactions: 1 user