Retake MCAT for the 3rd time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thethinker92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so as you can guess, I have a pretty serious problem. I received my second MCAT score today, and it was worse than my first.

8/2014 MCAT: 09/11/10 - cumulative 30 (PS/VR/BS)
1/2014 MCAT: 08/10/09, exactly one point less on each section.

I'm not really sure why this happened, other than that I had a pretty bad test center experience the second time around (different than my first). My AAMC average for the second time around was like 33-34.

I'm pretty embarrassed about my predicament, but I want to know whether it would be worth retaking the exam (the 2015 version)? Additionally, do I need to report my scores from the old version of the test if I take the new version (prob, right?)

Some pro's are that the new version has a more extensive verbal section, and it is a stronger area for me. However, there are notable con's. I am working full-time (with particularly long commute time ~3.5 hrs round trip), and probably because of this, I'm burnt out. Additionally, I'm currently experiencing feelings of apathy/depression (actually, I have been for a while, but these feelings have been exacerbated by constant work/study and living in a new city with no social support whatsoever). I don't want to come off as complaining about my situation, but I want to get some input regarding my prospects of MD admission. I am not interested in DO.

I get the feeling that my prospects are dim; therefore, I am leaning on retaking the exam. But are there alternatives? Is this really bad (i.e. is the score drop even redeemable?)

Members don't see this ad.

1. Why would you retake a balanced 30 when you are only scoring 3-4 pts higher on practice exams. You can easily fluctuate a few points here or there.

2. Your "I'm not interested in DO" stance won't win you many fans here. You either want to be a US trained physician or not. Sure DO has a harder time getting into competitive specialties/top ACGME residencies but they are still docs. And quite honestly beggars can't be choosers.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. I retook because although +1,2 points can seem marginal, to me, it seemed that there was a fairly large percentage increase with a few more points. I needed a higher score because my GPA is just average.

2. I didn't mean to suggest DO's are sub-MD. I just think there are some philosophical differences (at least from the way I perceive the DO program).

u could consider targeting the medical schools that will take your best Scores from all your sets. Many schools will take your MOST recent score, which will screw you.

You should call all schools to figure out what their policies are. Off the top of my head I think GW, TCMC, BUSM, SUNY buffalo, Cooper-Rowan take your best scores.

and you should certainly not feel ashamed for shooting for MD. While the differences in education are non-existent, it will make a difference in residency applications. You're in a tough spot, definitely shoot for MD, but keep DO as a backup option.

Reactions: 1 users
1. I retook because although +1,2 points can seem marginal, to me, it seemed that there was a fairly large percentage increase with a few more points. I needed a higher score because my GPA is just average.

2. I didn't mean to suggest DO's are sub-MD. I just think there are some philosophical differences (at least from the way I perceive the DO program).
This just serves to show on narrow minded you are. Besides the OMM, MD curriculum = DO curriculum.

It's unfortunate that you retook the 30 without having significantly higher practice scores. But you can't change the past.

The verbal section on the 2015 MCAT is longer, but it is actually a smaller portion of the exam, because the exam is now 4 sections (1 verbal) instead of 3 sections. So your verbal strength will not help much, except to the extent it helps on other sections because all sections require reading and reasoning.

You should probably take a few 2015 MCAT practice tests and see if you can trounce your 30 in terms of percentile. Otherwise, apply with the scores you have.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user