Retake old prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplepuppy391

Reaction score
I'm planning on applying in 2024 to matriculate in 2025, and by that time all of my prereqs will be 10+ years old. I just started a DIY post-bacc with the original intention to apply in 2023, so I was just going to do upper level coursework. I know that most schools don't have a hard cut-off, but I wondered if it might be in my best interest to redo my prereqs to increase the number of schools I can apply to. My main concern is getting accepted to a school that is in an area where my fiance can get a job. They have a phD and would be looking for a research job at a university or industry job. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your geographical constraints? If you know, locate schools in that area and do your research about them. Contact them on their policy about prerequisites.

Would the university jobs be in SLACs , MSIs, or academic medical centers?

What are your geographical constraints? If you know, locate schools in that area and do your research about them. Contact them on their policy about prerequisites.

Would the university jobs be in SLACs , MSIs, or academic medical centers?
They do physics research so definitely not medical center. Ideally they’d want a faculty job at a liberal arts college (I’m assuming that’s what SLAC is) but would probably be open to a position at a university. Not sure what MSI is. Apparently tenure positions in physics are either super competitive and rare so there’s no guarantee that it will even happen.

As for geographical constraints right now we are more thinking of states we wouldn’t want to live in which doesn’t narrow it down that much. But maybe I can make a list of some liberal arts colleges they would like to work at and see what areas those are in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Physics faculty jobs are extremely tough, and higher ed is not really considered a great place to be short-term. Regardless, the location question should be mutual, and once that has been decided you can better decide about your next steps.

From the list of smaller colleges, find out from their prehealth offices if they have linkages with medical schools. You can't apply for them but it will help you figure out what Medical Schools have heard of the college where your spouse will be working. There may be visits from admissions officers to that campus, and that will ultimately help you.

Physics faculty jobs are extremely tough, and higher ed is not really considered a great place to be short-term. Regardless, the location question should be mutual, and once that has been decided you can better decide about your next steps.

From the list of smaller colleges, find out from their prehealth offices if they have linkages with medical schools. You can't apply for them but it will help you figure out what Medical Schools have heard of the college where your spouse will be working. There may be visits from admissions officers to that campus, and that will ultimately help you.
What do you mean about the linkages with medical schools? I’m only familiar with linkages in postbacc programs.

in general do you recommend people not to retake old prereqs if you got C or higher and to just apply to schools that don’t have strict requirements?

If I decide to retake prereqs, will adcoms look down on me redoing them instead of upper level since I did well on them originally? Not sure if I would have to take upper level stuff also.

Last edited:
What do you mean about the linkages with medical schools? I’m only familiar with linkages in postbacc programs.
Many SLAC's have linkages with putting their undergrads into direct admission tracks to various health professions programs on other campuses. (LECOM is a great example of this.) Again you wouldn't be eligible as a postbac, but the advisors would be able to help get you connected. But this includes having your spouse getting a job on the SLAC campus so you could take postbac classes at a discount.

There are some SLAC's with postbac programs, though I'm not sure about specific linkages (you would have to ask, and postbac programs are popping up like mushrooms after a spring storm. Check the prehealth advising offices at each SLAC.

MSI = minority serving institution.

Of course, talk with your spouse. Figure out the timing and geography.

Reactions: 1 user