Retakers who improved

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tonic1025

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is geared for people who took the mcat more than once and managed to improve their score...

What did you do to study differently? More classes? Different prep course? Different study habits? What advice would you give for retakers?

Members don't see this ad.

Tonic1025 said:
This is geared for people who took the mcat more than once and managed to improve their score...

What did you do to study differently? More classes? Different prep course? Different study habits? What advice would you give for retakers?

I took a Princeton Review course. I studied each lesson before the class, went to the class and paid a lot of attention, and then studied after the class while doing the homework. I did personal study on topics I didn't understand thoroughly. I memorized all the physics and most of the g-chem equations in the books they give out. I took all the practice tests they administered. I improved from a 32 to a 36.

I took Aug 2002 and Aug 2003. I studied my a$$ off for the second time around. Having previous experience with the MCAT also helped. My score went from a V6 P8 (Q) B9 (23Q) to a V9 P9 (R) B11 (29R)

Tonic1025 said:

I went from a 31->37, with 3 years between tests. I took quite a few graduate level courses that focused on thinking rather than memorization, I studied 5 hrs/day, 6 days a week for 2 months, did a boatload of full length tests (more than 15), used kaplan and EK. If I were in your shoes, I would do a ton of practice problems and understand where you went wrong on every single one you miss.

I went from a 27 --> 32 using the EK Review books. There was a four year gap between the exams, and I never took another pre-req class in btwn. Though I did take tons of grad school courses, they didn't actually apply to the MCAT. Anyhoo, I actually *studied* for this exam (starting in late January) which is why I improved. However, in a perfect universe I would have started in October so that I could have mastered the Physical science topics better (my weakest area).

Hope that this helps.