Retakers who improved...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Geoff

Mzungu
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just need a little advice... I have decided to retake...

P 07 V 09 B 10

Obviously I wasn't happy with my physical science score. I studied using exam krackers, however I felt rushed this summer and didn't get as much practice tests in as I wanted too. So, In general I know my score will improve overall because I am going to be more prepared. I figure I will still use the exam krackers books again because I liked them. However, I was wondering what you guys used for your retake and did you score better? I was thinking about getting the chem and phy 1001 questions book because that is where I need my work. Anyone use these? Just give me some input on how you went about it? Thanks, and congrats on those that did score well.

- jeff

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Geoff said:

P 07 V 09 B 10

Obviously I wasn't happy with my physical science score. I studied using exam krackers, however I felt rushed this summer and didn't get as much practice tests in as I wanted too. So, In general I know my score will improve overall because I am going to be more prepared. I figure I will still use the exam krackers books again because I liked them. However, I was wondering what you guys used for your retake and did you score better? I was thinking about getting the chem and phy 1001 questions book because that is where I need my work. Anyone use these? Just give me some input on how you went about it? Thanks, and congrats on those that did score well.

- jeff

the ek books are really good....get the 1001 books ( all of them) i used them and the HUGE kaplan book and went up 5 pnts...from a 25 to a 30 :) ull get it..just work hard and good luck. :luck:

I rose 5 pts as well:
Aug. 2003: 22R
Aug. 2004: 27Q

The first tiem I used Barron's and godl standard... Barron's was terrible and Gold standard was good.

This time around I used audio osmosis, the big Kaplan book EK verbal and ek verbal 1001. I also used the aamc exams, which i thought were great!

I went from a 26 to a 33. It's all in the attitude.

The first time I took PR and used EK books on the side. I felt okay going in, but just didn't have my head on straight. When the passages didn't look exactly like what I studeied, especially verbal, I stressed out. Nothing I had done prepared me for the little panic at the start of physical sciences.

This time I took BR and followed their advice. I went in to the exam with a much better attitude. I'm sure the BR books worked better for me than PR or EK, but that's because I connected with their methods. I went in thinking I'd own it this time. I was definitely calmer, which I know for sure helped. And although I didn't do as well as I thought I was going to do, I'm pretty pleased.

Good luck if you repeat the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey Dr,

I was in the same boat as you. I did the same the first time i took it so i decided to take it again. I ended it up with a 23R... so i hated myself for retaking it and i think that's what I didn't get in. that summer was too much fun. i went out atleast 4 days a week and was doing some summer research on the side. then, this past summer i got smart about it. i just said let me focus on this one thing and make it a full time job. i didn't do anything but study and i went out 2 nights a week with friends. haha, big change. so the mcat score came back and i'm happy with my score this time. I think 26 is worth retaking but only if you think you can put enough time into it. because dropping from that score really sucks. anyhow, gluck and holla if you got questions.

Dr. Geoff said:

P 07 V 09 B 10

- jeff

I took first time in april 2003 and got a 24 and then finally this august and got a 33. The difference? I studied full time for august 2004, at least 5-6 hrs a day for 3 months. As for april I barely studied unti lthe month before... how silly of me to not respect this test cuz it'll eat you alive if you dont prepare adequately.

:luck: I agree it is mostly a mental attitude thing. My daughter got a 26 two years ago, took Kaplan last year, went into the test and stressed out, getting the same 26 with identical sub-scores. This year, she didn't study the day before, went shopping and to a movie, went out for a pasta dinner, slept in a hotel nearby the testing location, relaxed, and got a 33. There is no way her REAL aptitude went up 7 points in just 12 months. The key is that she was able to pace herself and finish all three sections and the writing sample on-time.

New England Dad said:
:luck: I agree it is mostly a mental attitude thing. My daughter got a 26 two years ago, took Kaplan last year, went into the test and stressed out, getting the same 26 with identical sub-scores. This year, she didn't study the day before, went shopping and to a movie, went out for a pasta dinner, slept in a hotel nearby the testing location, relaxed, and got a 33. There is no way her REAL aptitude went up 7 points in just 12 months. The key is that she was able to pace herself and finish all three sections and the writing sample on-time.

I agree...thank you.