retaking a course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camouflage831

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I retake a semester of bio, which grade is counted towards AADASA GPA? I know my school's transcrip will show both grades and both grades will be counted toward cGPA. How bad is it to retake a course? i got a D+ and this is not b/c I didn't work for it. really. hypothetically, let's say i get an A or an A- second time. will this retaking a course hurt my chances for dental schools? how bad does it look to retake a course? thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

camouflage831 said:
If I retake a semester of bio, which grade is counted towards AADASA GPA? I know my school's transcrip will show both grades and both grades will be counted toward cGPA. How bad is it to retake a course? i got a D+ and this is not b/c I didn't work for it. really. hypothetically, let's say i get an A or an A- second time. will this retaking a course hurt my chances for dental schools? how bad does it look to retake a course? thanks guys.

aadsas gpa will incorporate both grades.

Lots of ppl have retaken courses; so altho its not fabulous to get low marks in the first place, its definitely a good idea to repeat it and ahcieve a high mark. Dont worry about it too much. Focus on getting the mark second time around.

Hi, I had to re-take physics...I got a D on the lecture and an A on the lab...I repeated it and got an A :p I don't think Dental Schools focus too much on getting a D on a course but on getting a higher grade the second time. On my first semester I got a D :mad: My first D ever...but this semester I got an A in all my classes :D So just focus on getting a better grade and you'll be fine. Good Luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by a dental school that adcomms hate when you retake a course. It is expected that you should do much because it’s the second time you have seen the material. I told them that I wanted to retake some of the prerequisites because I got a few C’s and its been about 9 years since I’ve had them. I also thought it would help me study for the DAT. They told me that if I did retake any courses to keep it to a minimum (4 or under) and to be ready to explain why I retook them. Either way I still plan to retake a few courses.

i retook both organic chems and a molecular biology and was never asked about the reasons why during any interview i had. that being said, if you do retake a course make sure you do your best and get that A. because when you submit AADSAS, you have to report both grades received and they will be averaged out.

thanks for all the inputs! I should definitely get a A second time