Retaking and still lost about how to go about prepping...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

journeytomed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm planning to retake the MCAT (for the third time, I know terrible) in mid-May. Problem is, even after taking it twice, I still continue to be lost as to how to approach studying for the MCAT. A little background:

Jan 2015 MCAT 9/11/9
Studied FT for about a month during winter break mostly because I was sick most of Thanksgiving break which I acknowledge was still no where near enough time to start prepping. Also started preparing so late because I kept going back and forth between MCAT prep books because I had no idea which ones to use. Started with BR initially, got overwhelmed as I was essentially "cramming" and I knew I wouldn't have time with the books. Then switched to Kaplan and hated it (couldn't focus and I found it to be very dull), switched to EK then back to BR. Not even sure how long I prepped with what books, but the last two weeks I did practice problems and all the AAMC FLs, but I think the 29 was a fluke because, well see below.

June 2015 MCAT 504
I took it for the second time and did worse :( Again, had completed a Masters program in early May so essentially crammed again because of outside ultimatums to apply this cycle. Tried to use BR again but didn't have enough time so switched to EK, but didn't even finish content review with EK by the time I took it. Did quite a bit of practice exams, but not as much as the first time.

Third time's the charm?
Yes, I know its very unadvisable to retake the MCAT a third time. But I believe with the right preparation and motivation, I can do it. Especially because I did well in my SMP (3.7) and did not apply this cycle. I believe with a solid MCAT score I'll be able to apply to some MD and DO schools next cycle.

My issue is - what do I use? I have started studying with BR for the past 2 weeks. I take short note (maybe a few pages) for Physics/Gen Chem/Orgo and do the practice problems. For Bio and Psyc, I take detailed notes because I've forgotten a lot of the details but this takes me anywhere from 5-7 hours per section, not including time to do practice problems. Also, I am getting a bit overwhelmed with the detail in the BR books, but I am rusty on content so that's why I decided to start with them. I still have the new EK MCAT books and now I'm wondering whether with adequate time devoted to content using EK, I might be able to just study with those books (which would allow me to spend less time on content?) and then have more time to do practice problems. But I am worried about switching to EK because I know they are known to be on the lighter side of content, and I feel like I need content review too.

Sorry for the unbelievably long post, would love some advice. Also should add I'm working FT (usual 40 hours/week). So I usually aim to study from 5:30 pm onwards, so the lack of having full days to study (like the previous times I have taken the MCAT) is worrying me as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Feel free to be brutally honest and harsh. At this point, I'll take any criticism/help/whatever!

EDIT: Would also like to avoid purchasing any additional prep material aside from FLs of course. I have the new set of BR books and the new EK books as well.

Members don't see this ad.