Retaking classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megpharm

Reaction score
I got a C- in both orgo 1 and 2 and I’m retaking them and am getting an A. My GPA is still good. How much will this hurt me when applying?

Members don't see this ad.

It will show up in pharmcas and be counted towards your gpa. Im not sure if schools filter this out and look at the latest score received for the course though.

I got a C- in both orgo 1 and 2 and I’m retaking them and am getting an A. My GPA is still good. How much will this hurt me when applying?

How good is your GPA? cGPA vs. sGPA? Are you accomplishing minimal requirements or going for a Bachelors? Have you or are you working as a technician in a pharmacy setting? Have you taken the PCAT yet?

If you have experience in working in the pharmacy, taking upper science courses successfully such as Biochemistry (with Organic Chem being a prerequisite) will help with leniency when it comes to retaking a rigorous course like Organic Chemistry. PharmCAS will average the GPA difference of each repeated course, but a few programs don't utilize PharmCAS and do grade-replacements as seen fit. These programs typically have a separate pre-req worksheet you can fill out and receive feedback and what is accepted and what they'll calculate. If this is your only eye soar and haven't made a habit of retaking many courses, your bound to get an interview if you apply broadly (you may stand a chance with just what you have). Think hard though why you struggled. The material isn't covered in depth as you may imagine, but the critical thinking skill set is definitely going to exist in school.

TLDR; take upper science courses successfully to offset your repeated coursework. Work in a pharmacy setting and excel in the PCAT and you'll land an interview. You may even land an interview with your current status, but never settle for the minimum.

Reactions: 2 users
How good is your GPA? cGPA vs. sGPA? Are you accomplishing minimal requirements or going for a Bachelors? Have you or are you working as a technician in a pharmacy setting? Have you taken the PCAT yet?

If you have experience in working in the pharmacy, taking upper science courses successfully such as Biochemistry (with Organic Chem being a perquisite) will help with leniency when it comes to retaking a rigorous course like Organic Chemistry. PharmCAS will average the GPA difference of each repeated course, but a few programs don't utilize PharmCAS and do grade-replacements as seen fit. These programs typically have a separate pre-req worksheet you can fill out and receive feedback and what is accepted and what they'll calculate. If this is your only eye soar and haven't made a habit of retaking many courses, your bound to get an interview if you apply broadly (you may stand a chance with just what you have). Think hard though why you struggled. The material isn't covered in depth as you may imagine, but the critical thinking skill set is definitely going to exist in school.

TLDR; take upper science courses successfully to offset your repeated coursework. Work in a pharmacy setting and excel in the PCAT and you'll land an interview. You may even land an interview with your current status, but never settle for the minimum.

Before retaking courses, be sure to study the material very well so that you can be assured (as much as possible) of getting a high grade.