Retaking decent MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1108964

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the only person that knows if you can truly score higher is yourself. Since you are aiming for MSTP programs, your MCAT probably needs to indeed be higher if you're deadset on a top program, but if you are MD only or can be, then it's probably okay..

Only retake if you’re certain you can score a 520+. This means 5 or more practice tests in which the score is 520 or higher. Make sure that you’re simulating real test conditions. If you can, shave off 10% of the time for each section (on practice tests) to simulate high pressure conditions. …IMO, a 516-519 wouldn’t be a significant enough jump to justify retaking the exam. I could be wrong.

Your score + decent research can definitely get you into an MSTP. The average MD/PhD matriculant is still hovering around 515/516. In my opinion, you cant be DEAD SET on top MSTP programs because it's a total crapshoot even with a good score considering how strong some of the applicant pool is, and getting an acceptance to ANY MSTP is a huge accomplishment and will likely not hinder you in your career. I have a 515 and am absolutely not retaking and am applying MSTP this cycle. Missing a few questions can change your score dramatically as you get higher and it's not worth the gamble imo.

I also highly doubt a 515 is an autoscreen lmao

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
know a 515 was 95th percentile a few years ago but it's 89th now.
Not to split hairs but it is 90th percentile.
A 515 is below the median for nearly 45 MD schools, and almost 30 MD schools have 517+ medians.
517 is within your scores confidence band. You would be fine to apply to 517 schools

Reactions: 1 users
I would retake for sure if someone could clarify that the sheer action of retaking will not prevent admission to MDs.

A 515 is below the median for nearly 45 MD schools, and almost 30 MD schools have 517+ medians. I don't really understand the comment from @Goro in the other thread that it signals a sign of perfectionism, when I am below the median MCAT for nearly 35% of existing MD programs, probably half of all MD/PhD programs. Frankly this sounds pretty archaic...I know a 515 was 95th percentile a few years ago but it's 89th now. I don't understand why trying to offset a bad testing day will merit "auto rejection" at certain schools. Can I not aim higher?..
I understand wanting to get into U Penn, but the MCAT is an assessment of judgement in addition to competence.

And your GI disaster aside, it's still easy to bat .300 in batting practice, but facing a major league fast baller is still a different story.

Reactions: 1 user
I would retake for sure if someone could clarify that the sheer action of retaking will not prevent admission to MDs.

A 515 is below the median for nearly 45 MD schools, and almost 30 MD schools have 517+ medians. I don't really understand the comment from @Goro in the other thread that it signals a sign of perfectionism, when I am below the median MCAT for nearly 35% of existing MD programs, probably half of all MD/PhD programs. Frankly this sounds pretty archaic...I know a 515 was 95th percentile a few years ago but it's 89th now. I don't understand why trying to offset a bad testing day will merit "auto rejection" at certain schools. Can I not aim higher?..
I don’t think it’s an auto-rejection at most places. You just need to do a basic cost-benefit analysis. Anything less than a 5 point gain has a greater cost than it does a benefit. If you’re sure you can get more than 5 points added, then schools that like high stat applicants will likely brush off the fact that it is your second attempt.

Try taking any future practice tests at 10-15% reduced time. If you’re still getting 520+ then I say go for it. But you must also factor in the opportunity cost that comes with studying again. Might be a better use of time to write secondary essays.

I understand wanting to get into U Penn, but the MCAT is an assessment of judgement in addition to competence.

And your GI disaster aside, it's still easy to bat .300 in batting practice, but facing a major league fast baller is still a different story.
I'm not even thinking about UPenn....I just want to have a fighting chance at my state school's MSTP (UVA). Even UVA has a 519 MSTP average or something off the charts. As I said before I don't really understand the logic that retaking a 515 is 'perfectionism' considering more than 1/3rd of all existing medical schools have MCATS above that.

As I said I'm confident in my ability, I'm just wondering if the action of retaking a 515 is actually going to be a red flag, or if that is outdated.

I'm not even thinking about UPenn....I just want to have a fighting chance at my state school's MSTP (UVA). Even UVA has a 519 MSTP average or something off the charts. As I said before I don't really understand the logic that retaking a 515 is 'perfectionism' considering more than 1/3rd of all existing medical schools have MCATS above that.

As I said I'm confident in my ability, I'm just wondering if the action of retaking a 515 is actually going to be a red flag, or if that is outdated.
I don't understand how you can score a 515 on the MCAT and not understand the concept of medians.

If you wish to retake your MCAT in the hope that you'll do better, you don't need the permission of any SDN member.

• Love
  • Haha
What is the benefit you are hoping for with a retake - that you knock it out of the park and have a 95%+ MCAT score with a 98%+? You will still be showing 2 mcat scores. You really haven't taken into consideration the risks associated with a retake - you get the same score, or even drop a few points or have a skewed subsection score, which calls into question the validity of your first attempt.

You wrote that you are confident in your ability to do better which is great but the data the AAMC publishes on this does not bear this confidence out. Most test takers in your score range either see the same score or a score decrease. Increases are usually 2 points or less - which is unlikely to make a significant impact with your application.

I would take your advisor's advice with a huge grain of salt. If I were in your shoes, I would focus on making the other parts of my application as strong as possible - last time I checked, no PI working late on a presentation/publication or an attending dealing with an emergency during a rotation thinks "wow, I should've gone with the person who scored a few points higher on the MCAT."

Just my 0.02 - best of luck to you.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Going to go against the grain and tell OP he should retake it if he trusts himself to score 520+.
Meaning that his practice test scores were consistently 520+ with consistent 130s+ in all of your strong sessions. Like never a fluke 128 in any sections you consider strong.
I scored 522 on the exam getting 132 on c/p and b/b as well as 131 on p/s. I knew cars was my weakest section and hard to improve on so I prepared relentlessly until I KNEW I would get 132 on c/p and b/b, as well as a 130+ on p/s. Like I was prepared for ANYTHING that showed up on those three sections come test and knew to trust my gut and move fast but accurate so that I finished each section with 30 mins left to review.
All my practice test scores reflected this and I absolutely would have retaken the test had I gotten below 520.
If you prepared similarly and really believe you had an off day then go for it since it seems there is a very small chance you will do worse than before and a very good chance you will improve (even if that’s marginal).

off topic- but I recommend students prepare for the test with inconsistent schedules (eg doing practice Passages on no sleep, not eating the same thing every day) because often all it takes is for one bad thing to happen test day or the day before test day to throw someone who has been preparing in perfect conditions completely off.
Not saying this is you OP - but people really need to start preparing for a far from ideal taking environment.

I retook my 512 to get 519 and got into my dream MD/PhD program. But my program director told me it was my LORs that got me in. I really think it's much more about your research background, LORs, and of course how early you apply.

• Hmm
I retook my 512 to get 519 and got into my dream MD/PhD program. But my program director told me it was my LORs that got me in. I really think it's much more about your research background, LORs, and of course how early you apply.
Don’t know the program you’re at, but there is a big difference between a 512 and 519. Yes the other things you mentioned are very important but don’t underestimate the improvement in your mcat score .

Reactions: 1 user
you should have postponed the test if you didn't get good sleep. I think if your FL average was 520+, you have a good chance getting that on a retake.

I think it's not a bad idea to retake. MSTP programs are tough to get into...especially if you're targeting a specific school.

I ended up taking three times (but my situation was fairly different then yours) and got into UVA MD (Already had a PhD going in heh). Great school. Loved it.