Retaking MCAT before this cycle ends?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sasukeuchiha33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. So I'm applying to MD and DO schools this cycle. I took the MCAT twice and got a 505 both times (507 superscored; I have a 3.96 cGPA and 3.93 sGPA) and as such am not too hopeful about my chances, especially with the drastic increase in apps this cycle. My question is this: I really want to get ahead of things for next cycle. I'm currently a senior in college, and I have a two month winter break because of COVID, and was planning on studying for another retake from the beginning of December to the end of January, so about 1.5 months, which I think is more than enough time considering I've already put in so much work. My question is this: would that be a smart thing to do? Would medical schools I'm applying to this cycle see that I'm retaking the MCAT in January (because all of them said September was the last acceptable date for this cycle), and would this affect my application negatively? I don't think I'll get better undistracted study time at any other point in the next year, so I hope I'm able to do this and it not negatively impact me. As always, my favorite experts @LizzyM @Goro @gonnif @gyngyn you guys have never steered me wrong before, so please let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt it will have any impact on your application

This will not help you at all this cycle. Being a third time test taker will not greatly improve your chances in a cycle down the road.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This will not help you at all this cycle. Being a third time test taker will not greatly improve your chances in a cycle down the road.
I'm aware; but I honestly think I could significantly improve my score if I need to reapply next cycle; that's why I was asking. In the case I need to reapply, I want to get ahead of it, but I don't want my app put on hold or something if I sign up for a test in January.

I'm aware; but I honestly think I could significantly improve my score if I need to reapply next cycle; that's why I was asking. In the case I need to reapply, I want to get ahead of it, but I don't want my app put on hold or something if I sign up for a test in January.

Hey Sasuke. Have your AAMC FL's been significantly higher than your previous scores?

Your loving bro,
Itachi

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Everybody thinks they can do better on try #3. The sad reality is that they don't. You have hit your plateau, most likely.