Retaking MCAT... it expired!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keisler

MSIV
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. So here's my story:

I took the MCAT in '04, applied to Indiana University, and got accepted right away for 2006. So excited!

Then I got engaged, and my fiance and I decided to move to Arizona so he could get his PhD. It sucked to put med school off for a year (since the University of Arizona only takes in-state applicants), but I figured, what the hey, it's only one year, and all things being equal (meaning my residency status), IU is a better school, so I should have no problem getting in!

In the meantime, I got a second degree (in Microbiology) from the U of A, kept a 4.0, and applied. And I just got rejected!

So now, not only am I wasting TWO years before starting medical school, I have to retake the MCAT, because most schools only consider scores from up to three years ago, and next year, it will be four.

Has anyone else gone through anything like this? I am just so frustrated and dejected, and still in shock. It's such a blow.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a lot of friends that have given up a lot (such as relationships) to get into IU and they have not had the luxery of an acceptance like you had. I guess you will just have to retake the MCAT. But if you were accepted once I am sure you can do it again. I didnt get in for the 2006 class and I had to retake the MCAT so its not all that bad, just takes time.

Hi guys. So here's my story:

I took the MCAT in '04, applied to Indiana University, and got accepted right away for 2006. So excited!

Then I got engaged, and my fiance and I decided to move to Arizona so he could get his PhD. It sucked to put med school off for a year (since the University of Arizona only takes in-state applicants), but I figured, what the hey, it's only one year, and all things being equal (meaning my residency status), IU is a better school, so I should have no problem getting in!

In the meantime, I got a second degree (in Microbiology) from the U of A, kept a 4.0, and applied. And I just got rejected!

So now, not only am I wasting TWO years before starting medical school, I have to retake the MCAT, because most schools only consider scores from up to three years ago, and next year, it will be four.

Has anyone else gone through anything like this? I am just so frustrated and dejected, and still in shock. It's such a blow.

I had a 36 on a previous MCAT. Have to retake again since it expired, but thats mainly because of boosting my undergrad GPA while doing a PhD. I haven't applied before in my life though...so can't imagine what its like to be rejected nor what its like to apply;). However I am looking forward to taking the MCAT since i'm much more comfortable with all the material now since having done so much more school. The verbal will always be a pain in the behind though.

Your situation where you got accepted and more recently rejected only proves a well known but often times ignored point. Getting into med school is a crap shoot. Therefore its not really wise to reapply again after being admitted. For one, med schools know this, and wonder why you didn't go the first time, and secondly, since its a crap shoot, you might not have the same "luck" as last time. Of course it doesn't help that each year the application pool gets stronger and stronger in terms of academics and extracurriculars. Not to mention there are MORE applicants too.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should have gone to UI then transfered to UofA after year 1 or 2

Sorry you have to reapply again. :( It's too bad the issues regarding moving out of state and what-not weren't discussed with your fiancee prior to applying and obtaining that acceptance the first time around. Like others mentioned above, it really is a crap shoot. Just as an example, I know of one individual that was accepted to UCSF but was waitlisted or rejected at every other school he applied to -- and he applied to about 20-25 of them. But no room for regrets really, just have to keep pushing forward. You know what you have to do now and that's kick butt on the MCAT - definitely sucks that you have to retake, but you got into med school once you can do it again. Good luck. :luck: