Retaking MCAT, looking for errors and advice based on scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemiosmosis1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I'm planning on retaking my MCAT on January 8th, 2015, after taking it once during last summer on Aug 21st. I was just wondering if I could get some advice based on my scores and my thoughts on the whole process.

AAMC Practice Test Average: 13.5P/10V/12B

Actual: 11/6/12

When I walked out of the exam, I knew physical sciences did not go as well as I had planned, whereas I found verbal to be not bad and biology to be one of the best sections I've ever written. It was really quite a shock gettting my verbal score back.

I spent my entire summer studying, and took a prep course with Princeton Review. I have exhausted all AAMC sources including self assessments, and utilized TPR and TBR for science. I have also completed EK101 and TPRH with an average of 10 and 12 respectively on the verbal sections.

I plan to order TBR practice tests, but is there anything else I can do? When should I start studying (I was planning mid November once i finish my midterms)?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I spent approximately 10 hours each day with no break days during the summer from the middle of May to the test date. I dunno if I choked.

Yeah scoring six points below your AAMC average indicates that you "choked". Happens to a lot of people - the intensity and nerves of the real thing tend to mess up timing and especially cause a lot of second guessing in verbal.

You should retake without worrying too much about studying more - you are plenty capable of a good score. You just need to get pumped up to kick the test's ass next time and claim the 90+%ile score that is rightfully yours! It's going to be more about maintaining a good state of mind on test day than extra review.