Other OT-Related Information Rethinking OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michellem915

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was researching information about career paths for OTs and talking to healthcare professionals in the field and most of the information that I've gathered was that OT isn't really worth going into right now. I was speaking with a current OT and she told me I was crazy to consider paying so much money for a career that is going to be so over-saturated with qualified individuals that jobs are going to be scarce. Basically, I was told that therapy practices such as PT,OT and SLP are going to be so over saturated that jobs that pay well and provide room for financial and professional growth are going to be difficult to come by. I applied to many OT schools and its definitely what I want to do career wise, however, if I am unable to pay off all the money that I pay to go to school for this profession and my quality of life is decreased because of debt, is it really worth it?
I have been considering applying for healthcare administration programs and going to management route of healthcare instead of clinical. has anyone else run into comments like this before or has considered something similar?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure where they are getting their information but it makes zero sense. In my region where I live they are begging for OTS to come work for them because there is such a shortage of OTS.

Reactions: 4 users
A lot demand where I am planing to live. As you may read threads related to pay etc....there are lower paying jobs in major cities compared to the non urban/cool cities.

I do not think there will be a crazy fluctuation within the next couple of years where there will be a ton of OTs making 7 dollars an hour.

You can't predict the future but you could be right (ay lamo).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was offered a job on my first FW2, which is within 15 minutes of my house. I have been offered at least 5 jobs since I've been in school. If you're willing to move or travel, you can get a job and it will probably pay close to the median for the profession right off the bat (75k). Not sure where that info is coming from...I can totally understand questioning the debt, but that's for all professions. I think it's the worst for law...I have no idea why people go into debt when there are literally no jobs, unless they're just passionate about the field.

Reactions: 1 users
I also live in an area where OTs are in high-demand. Many of the hospitals offer significant sign-on bonuses for OTs and there are plenty of opportunities for inpatient, outpatient, peds, hands, and SNF in this area. Not the highest-paid area, but given the cost of living where I live, you will be doing fine!

A lot of managers that oversee OTs I have seen have many years in the setting and/or a MBA. In addition to their OT degree.

I think more people are going into pharmacy and med school but the demand is still there.

Especially with the aging baby boomers, I suspect that OTs will be needed immensely.

Reactions: 1 user