Rethinking Premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yadumbguid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the MCAT soon and have been preparing for med school, but I don't know exactly where I want to specialize. My issue is where can I go with a strong interest in the research aspect of medicine. I am not sure what specialities involve lab work with an MD. If anyone can follow that please send some advice this way.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you looked into MD/PhD programs? Also, if you don't want to go the MD/PhD route, you can just do MD and aim for medical genetics. One of our current lecturers did that and it seems like an awesome way to integrate patient care with lab research.

You don't need a MD/PhD, just do a fellowship once you graduate. You don't need an MD to do clinical research either, but it helps to have one as a collaborator!

I am taking the MCAT soon and have been preparing for med school, but I don't know exactly where I want to specialize. My issue is where can I go with a strong interest in the research aspect of medicine. I am not sure what specialities involve lab work with an MD. If anyone can follow that please send some advice this way.