Retina in vitro from stem cells... awesome.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110406/full/news.2011.215.html

May be we will see retina transplant from stem cells in about 15-20 years?

What do you think?

Visionary, any thoughts?

Very promising early step. Replicating this with human stem cells will be even more impressive, but the much more complicated challenge will be integrating the engineered tissue with existing, likely pathologic tissues in a patient. Spinal cord tissue has been engineered from stem cells going back at least 5 years, but it's not really close to being therapeutic. I agree that it's an exciting prospect, but I'll take the over on 20 years.

Last edited:
Very promising early step. Replicating this with human stem cells will be even more impressive, but the much more complicated challenge will be integrating the engineered tissue with existing, likely pathologic tissues in a patient. Spinal cord tissue has been engineered from stem cells going back at least 5 years, but it's not really close to being therapeutic. I agree that it's an exciting prospect, but I'll take the over on 20 years.

Visionary,

Thanks for your input. I just wanted to hear some opinion from a retina doc. I just hope it will become a reality before I retire. I guess the next phase will be not only trying to replicate in human cells, but to reintroduce those reengineered stem cells into blind mice and see if they can see anything at all.