Retroactive Withdrawal & A Few Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarbucksLove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Hannah and during my first two years of college, my mother was very sick and I come from a single parent home where I had to start working to support my family. Being the idiot that I was, I thought I could handle being a student at the same time and I would not attend classes, only exams, and needless to say I did not do well. I spoke to advising at my school and they said due to my extenuating circumstances I can petition for deletion, but the F's have to be changed to WU's and the professors do not want to change my grades. I am going to see the dean of my college tomorrow but I don't know what I should do, how do I convince him to help me? the whole petition is a gamble itself, there is no guarantee so yes, I would love some advice. Also I have a few questions...

How possible is it to attend an AAMC SMP program, ACE IT completely and get into an Alliopathic medical school?

Also, I will be applying DO's of course, but I keep hearing they are considered second rate doctors? Is that true? and how do I apply DO? AMCAS is for MD's only.

Finally, what does the 2020 merger mean for DO's and Carib MD's

I know I listed a lot of question, but I really would love your inputs.

My GPA is 2.7, I'm taking the MCAT in MAY and I'm scoring really high. Ill take the GRE's also just to show the SMP's, I'm in my last semester of undergrad. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to see the dean of my college tomorrow but I don't know what I should do, how do I convince him to help me?
I would explain your family situation, acknowledging that you bit off more than you could chew with your coursework the first time around and didn't make the best decisions. Talk to him about your goals, how you want to go to medical school and having the opportunity to withdraw retroactively would give you an opportunity to show medical schools what you're capable of without your past mistakes coming back to haunt you.

Also, I will be applying DO's of course, but I keep hearing they are considered second rate doctors? Is that true? and how do I apply DO? AMCAS is for MD's only.
DO's are absolutely not second-rate anything. They're equivalent to MD's in every respect. They practice in the same settings and have the same responsibilities. They're trained in basically the same way except that they learn OMM in addition to the traditional medical curriculum. But as a DO, you're not obligated to practice OMM and, as far as I know, many DO's don't. DO schools have traditionally accepted students with lower overall stats (MD/GPA) but this is changing very rapidly. In any case, DO school definitely isn't "easy" to get into. One of the big advantages of DO for applicants with low GPAs like yourself is that they allow grade replacement. This means you could boost your GPA much faster than for MD, where every course attempt is included in your GPA.

I would explain your family situation, acknowledging that you bit off more than you could chew with your coursework the first time around and didn't make the best decisions. Talk to him about your goals, how you want to go to medical school and having the opportunity to withdraw retroactively would give you an opportunity to show medical schools what you're capable of without your past mistakes coming back to haunt you.

DO's are absolutely not second-rate anything. They're equivalent to MD's in every respect. They practice in the same settings and have the same responsibilities. They're trained in basically the same way except that they learn OMM in addition to the traditional medical curriculum. But as a DO, you're not obligated to practice OMM and, as far as I know, many DO's don't. DO schools have traditionally accepted students with lower overall stats (MD/GPA) but this is changing very rapidly. In any case, DO school definitely isn't "easy" to get into. One of the big advantages of DO for applicants with low GPAs like yourself is that they allow grade replacement. This means you could boost your GPA much faster than for MD, where every course attempt is included in your GPA.

Thank you for your input,
When you say its changing rapidly, what do you mean by that? Are they not going to be accepting low stats anymore?

Hello,

My name is Hannah and during my first two years of college, my mother was very sick and I come from a single parent home where I had to start working to support my family. Being the idiot that I was, I thought I could handle being a student at the same time and I would not attend classes, only exams, and needless to say I did not do well. I spoke to advising at my school and they said due to my extenuating circumstances I can petition for deletion, but the F's have to be changed to WU's and the professors do not want to change my grades. I am going to see the dean of my college tomorrow but I don't know what I should do, how do I convince him to help me? the whole petition is a gamble itself, there is no guarantee so yes, I would love some advice. Also I have a few questions...

How possible is it to attend an AAMC SMP program, ACE IT completely and get into an Alliopathic medical school?

Finally, what does the 2020 merger mean for DO's and Carib MD's

I know I listed a lot of question, but I really would love your inputs.

My GPA is 2.7, I'm taking the MCAT in MAY and I'm scoring really high. Ill take the GRE's also just to show the SMP's, I'm in my last semester of undergrad. Thank you.

I can't speak for the retroactive W process; however, it is entirely possible to attend an SMP and ace it completely. It is also very difficult and you will have to work very very hard.

DO's are not second rate doctors. AACOMAS is the application system for DO schools.

A 2.7 gpa will be too low for most (if not all) of the good SMPs. You should try to take classes to get up to a 3.0 prior to attending the SMP. Also, try not to have to retake the MCAT, as your career really does depend on getting *one* very solid score.