Return of the 'Truth about SRMC, or now known as SRU'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
truth behold how long ago did u graduate? I went to see the campus in august and its trually class. I dont have a clue wat you are on about in 99% of your posts. Are you a doc in us now?

you don't have a clue yet because you haven't joined yet. I never said the campus wasn't nice to look at. I graduated a while back and i am currently a doctor in the US. I don't know what relevance that has though.

Members don't see this ad.

haha what a first class idiot you really are. No one has had a go at srmc bar tbt, your decision is appaling:thumbdown:
awww is someone upset that the dental school their daddy and mommy are gonna pay for them to go to is a truly shi**y one?

its ok, once you take psych, you will realise this is called "overcompensation"

normally, I would respond in kind but I can see from your background - "I am a current pharmacy student but I am struggling to understand basics..............I want to quit and try dental school...............how is dental at this school? I want to pay for a seat and get right in because getting a dental seat in UK is too tough" - that you are a mere ignorant fool who's looking for the easiest way out.

basically, your mental intellect is so low that not only can't you finish a pharmacy program, but you can't even compete for a regular seat even though you are a UK citizen! I am not gonna waste even a single second of my precious time explaining the many gaping holes in your logic.

Don't waste your energy replying because I won't be coming back to this thread anymore :)

lol fu*king idiot

Members don't see this ad :)
awww is someone upset that the dental school their daddy and mommy are gonna pay for them to go to is a truly shi**y one?

normally, I would respond in kind but I can see from your background - "I am a current pharmacy student but I am struggling to understand basics..............I want to quit and try dental school...............how is dental at this school? I want to pay for a seat and get right in because getting a dental seat in UK is too tough" - that you are a mere ignorant fool who's looking for the easiest way out.

basically, your mental intellect is so low that not only can't you finish a pharmacy program, but you can't even compete for a regular seat even though you are a UK citizen! I am not gonna waste even a single second of my precious time explaining the many gaping holes in your logic.

Don't waste your energy replying because I won't be coming back to this thread anymore :)

lol fu*king idiot

damn, someone brought the heat

ditto damn ahah where is the love??

lol fu*king idiot

aww do you suffer from high bp:laugh:

I dunno what your talkin about Truth be Told.. Srmc is amazing.. hahaha
sperad the truth brotha... hope your doing well ;)

Ok anymore on srmc and how it is for dental. This thread is putting me off

Ok anymore on srmc and how it is for dental. This thread is putting me off

why are u writing on this tread then??? Is it because no cares for your srmc dental inquiries? or is that no one is reading your useless thread?

why are u writing on this tread then??? Is it because no cares for your srmc dental inquiries? or is that no one is reading your useless thread?

man I just wanted some honest opinion, please try to help.

man I just wanted some honest opinion, please try to help.

alright, since u put it like that...if i come across anything i'll be sure to pass it on to you

alright, since u put it like that...if i come across anything i'll be sure to pass it on to you

thanks man, dont think im not taking what you have said here into consideration. I went to madras last summer and went to srmc, saveetha, srmc campus was great. I just want to know more about bds as the time is coming for an application. could you help me dude.

Members don't see this ad :)
call the campus, email email email... you have to bug them to send you info... its india man totally different way of approach.. they will email you back.. everyone on the forum is basically from an mbbs background so we dont know jack about BDS and how there system works

call the campus, email email email... you have to bug them to send you info... its india man totally different way of approach.. they will email you back.. everyone on the forum is basically from an mbbs background so we dont know jack about BDS and how there system works

i emailed the registar nothing back at all:mad:

application is on for srmc now.

did any of u apply or got in by applying through the nri quota? if so can u share ur experience..do u need to know ppl if ur not from india?...do u need to keep emailing them cuz ive tried and they just dont reply...

hey guys! Iam interested in srmc myself and i was wondering have any of you guys visited it? I havent been able to and I probably wont be able to until I go there in July, so i was wondering if anyone has? and if they have how is the campus? and the rooms for nris?thanks!

I am a student here at "SRU", I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents for what it is worth.

This school for NRIs should be a second option; ONLY if your not doing well after a couple years of undergrad and you know you can't get into medical school back home should you consider coming here.

For high schoolers:

I suggest any high schoolers coming here to delay 1 year and come after 1 year of undergrad. Even if you can't get into an ivy league school, attend your flagship state school.

See if you can get a 4.0 your first semester. Then see if you can get a 4.0 your second semester. If you have a cumulative GPA of a 4.0 your 1st year, your on an awesome path, no matter what "prestigious" school you go to.

Take organic chemistry between the summer of your 1st and 2nd year to free up your schedule. Take the MCAT at the end of your sophomore summer so you get two swings at it before you apply (end of sophomore and end of junior summer). Graduate in 3 years, do something ridiculous your fourth year, like set up a school in Africa. Major in something completely non-science related (Economics, Japanese, whatever) while still being pre-med.

For inspiration, read about this guy who graduated college in 3 semesters with two degrees and how he did it:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/articles/do-it-now.htm
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/05/10-tips-for-college-students/

Scour the MCAT forum religiously to see how to prepare for the test and start from day 1 of 1st year of college, just 30 minutes a day every day. Take off the summer of your 2nd year and just focus on the MCAT.

Here is a link to the stats you need for American medical schools: http://www.mdapplicants.com/selectschool.php

Pick any school and see how hard it is to get in. Two deductions: you need as close to perfect scores as possible for your GPA/MCAT, but it DOESN'T MATTER where you go for undergrad.

If you really don't like the school your at after giving it a try for a semester, you can apply during your winter break to transfer to a better school, you can get to a lot of good places with a 4.0 your fall semester.

For transferring advice, look at this forum:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/transfer-students/

You might say, "I don't want to attend my god-awful state school". You have never been to undergrad, you don't know what your talking about. Prestige doesn't matter. Go, live in the dorms for a year, grow and mature. You will actually enjoy the experience; if not you can be happy you had the opportunity. You will benefit enormously from the year of maturity gained after coming here.

You can still get a 4.0 and party like a rockstar on weekends to get the "college experience". You can get the partying out of your system before you come here. There are a lot of kids who regret not doing so who attend this school. If your failing miserably (which hopefully is not the case) your 1st semester, you know you have the option of India.

The main problem with this school is that it will not prepare you for USMLE. Make you bring a set of Kaplan books before coming here. Study the corresponding section to what is taught here.

It is an extremely tough path either going through undergrad or coming here, but I feel like it is a 100x better to go a state undergrad provided you are doing extremely well. The corresponding medical school you get into will be 100x better than this school in terms of teaching. It doesn't matter what medical school you get into except for your vanity, all American schools are incredible.

I am not bitter, I am making the best of this place and actually enjoy it at times, but I am giving you all the advice/sources I wish I had before coming here.

Enjoy.

hi nighthawk911, thank you for actulli replying and adressing highschoolers cuz im in that same position of choosing b/w undergrad and medicine...i completely understand what ur saying about the teaching in SRMC ive read a lot of post saying "its all self study"...but wud u find that in several other indian med colleges as well? im from canada and unlike the u.s chances to practice here and even more limited...im not sure if by coming to india im limiting myself even more...i have applied for Manipal (kasturba med college) and Jawaharlal Nehru University in Belgaum as well as to other med schools in ireland and bahrain...but im keeping SRMC as a backup...however do u still suggest i do my undergrad before going into medicine?

I think it's the same at any Indian medical school, the purpose of class is attend and is a matter of self discipline to get your mandatory attendance in the eyes of teachers. You don't pick up much in class, your expected to learn the bulk of it during your own time.

Its a complete 180 from undergrad/medical school, where the teachers teach you the concepts during class elaborately, which makes your reading the following day much easier.

I really would suggest doing at least 1 year of undergrad and see how it goes before coming here, just simply for the maturity experience. It may seem like a waste of time and money, but you will appreciate it after you complete the year.

Admissions for NRI seats is very competitive by the way, demand has been increasing every year, so I wouldn't count this school as a "backup", it's hard to get in to begin with. Its is due to people with deep pockets, not necessarily because of the caliber of the student.

hey nighthawk911. i just had a few questions for you. Iam thinking of attending srmc this summer and iam currently a senior in high school. I was wondering did you attend srmc straight out of high school or did you do your undergrad and then go? and i was also wondering if you knew if the nris that came back to the u.s. from srmc were able to get residencys and if they did do you knoe what states they got them in? thanks.

I think it's the same at any Indian medical school, the purpose of class is attend and is a matter of self discipline to get your mandatory attendance in the eyes of teachers. You don't pick up much in class, your expected to learn the bulk of it during your own time.

Its a complete 180 from undergrad/medical school, where the teachers teach you the concepts during class elaborately, which makes your reading the following day much easier.

I really would suggest doing at least 1 year of undergrad and see how it goes before coming here, just simply for the maturity experience. It may seem like a waste of time and money, but you will appreciate it after you complete the year.

Admissions for NRI seats is very competitive by the way, demand has been increasing every year, so I wouldn't count this school as a "backup", it's hard to get in to begin with. Its is due to people with deep pockets, not necessarily because of the caliber of the student.

yeah true that man... you really dont pick up much of anything in class, except when it comes to your clinicals thats where it shines.. where you learn most of your hands on stuff.. other than that mostly self study other than that

like i said before you get what you put in..

i was also wondering if you knew if the nris that came back to the u.s. from srmc were able to get residencys and if they did do you knoe what states they got them in? thanks.

alot end up in new york and chicago are the fav FG friendly states.. but also it all comes down what field you want to go in and of course ur USMLE scores

Nighthawk911...thank you so much....my mom even read ur post and really god bless you; what ur saying makes a lot of sense and ive decided to do my undergrad here in canada and take ur advice...go to a school that will allow me to hav the highest gpa (4.0)... study the mcat books from day 1 for 30mins each day....do organic chem in the summer b/w 1st and 2nd yr...take the 2nd yr summer off and study for the mcat like hell....and give it a try in 3rd yr nd 4th if necessary and i will also study for the u.s. mcat so that my options are open....and finally do sumthing crasy like open a school in africa during my 3rd yr summer. The links u shared r awsome.... i must say the essays on that guy who achieved 2 degrees in 3 semsesters in really inspiring...and honestly in this entire 1 and 1/2 month that i hav used sdn u r the first person who has given vital information...thank you so much....and yes u r right about the high demand for nri seats and it is due to ppl with deep pockets not by the caliber of a student...thanks for the advice at the right time....btw im just curious to know did u do undergrand and then go to SRU?

Thanks srmc411 for responding to my questions. iam really stuck between staying in the u.s. and going to india for med school so i was wondering if you had any more info that could help me decide what to do. I live in L.A. and am currently a senior in high school. any feedback would help. thanks!

Thanks srmc411 for responding to my questions. iam really stuck between staying in the u.s. and going to india for med school so i was wondering if you had any more info that could help me decide what to do. I live in L.A. and am currently a senior in high school. any feedback would help. thanks!

yea im from cali too... i came out of high school as well.. i actually got into ucla for biochem but opted out to come here.. i didn't want to deal with mcat's and plus its a total of 8 years as oppose to 5.5 years here.. the way i looked at it was i save 2 years and a lot of money. at my time it was 100K to join in now its like 150K-175K or so (all in one shot), which is getting almost up-there to U.S college $$ .. so now your looking at only time-saving here.. but even though mostly its self study.. theres always professors you can go to help you if you do not understand anything... and plus clinicals again, you actually start seeing patients your 2nd year and taking cases... and there are so many obscure cases here..your clinical knowledge will be amazing.. so theres pros/cons.. its up to you to decide.. as nighthawk said one year in college won't hurt... if you decide its not right for you then check out srmc, you will still be 1.5 years ahead of the game..

The bottom line is if you graduate here, you will be called a doctor, no doubt. But if you follow the path that most NRIs take, you will be a "dumb" doctor.

You have to be incredibly studious, very aggressive in your clinical rounds ("postings" as they are called here), and take advantage of all your opportunities in a subpar environment to do well.

Like I stated before, if you a senior in high school, get your parents to start working on your SRMC application this summer for the '09-'10 school year; in the meantime do a year of undergrad and evaluate where you are at the point, deciding whether you want to come here or not depending how well (or horrible) your doing in undergrad.

Most Indian parents are adamant about sending their kids here for security issues; they know their son/daughter will be a doctor in 5.5 years. In undergrad, they don't know if thats going to happen. If you have a 4.0 in undergrad after your 1st year, they will know your on the right path and wont be so worried about your future.

Oh SRMC.. SRMC...
everyone has their own experience here, all of which a are different...
I'm currently an MBBS student here, from Los Angeles..

i'm going to get to the point, for everyone who wants to know about this college, alot has been said already that is really absurd by TruthBeTold, damn he must of been thru hell here or whatever... anyways here i go::

Ragging? - haha no NRI will ever get ragged, that never happens here, more likely to the locals here but even that is so stupid, it will be like " go dance" or "get that girls number" But i have yet to hear an NRI go thru even that.

Local Vs NRI Drama "backstabbing": again, no. If your a good friend to others then you have no problem.. its the same as back home.. no one is out to screw you over, theres no backstabbing nonsense... what the hell is TruthbeTold talking about... most NRI's usually hang out with each other since we all live in the same block, but yeah no problem with the local people there all chill, as well. Only funny thing is... gossip... haha that will spread like wildfire people love to talk here about anything, like "oh i heard she's dating that guy or whatver" stupid things like that whatever its india.. thats how we all are lol

Room/Hostel/Internet/Food: As an NRI you will live in the NRI Block. What does that mean?
- good size room with an attached bathroom and a cot and a desk and a place to put your ac
- so your gonna need to buy your essentials A/C, Fridge, Microwave etc.. other people have TV's, Sofas, and i think someone even has a bar in there room lol, you can really deck out your room to whatver you like.. but the 1st day you get there damn its so depressing looking when its all empty, but whatver fix it up and you will be good to go
- Internet: as of 2005 we now have internet capablities. 15K rupees a month get you pretty slow internet and its wired not wifi so your not sharing. Keep in mind that somedays it will go off and on.. ahh gets frustrating but whatever we need are internet right? 1 song = 4-5 mintues.
- Food: ughh dosas, rice, idly, etc all day every day yay! haha what can i say we dont have the best options here, the mess will get old to you quick, pizza hut is here now. Dominos, Subway there too. Food is always an issue here so limited choices, but theres always good resturants in the city...
- Power outages? - hell yea haha.. damn it gets annoying sometimes it always happens during the most incovient times to like when were studying for an exam or what not. Get used to it. I usually just go to the city when that happens and for it to come on..
----> oh yea need to mention this... we have warden's, there really harmless but annoying has hell sometimes. Curfew is at 9:30pm but theres many ways to get bypass that.. but hostel life can get annoying sometimes, if you cant deal with it theres always the option of getting an apt outside, again not a big deal...

Classes/Grading/Teachers:
- classes: they just built new ones in 2005 so anyone who attended here before that time basically went thru hell, TruthbeTold ill give you that ( in there time that had a dinky *** class room with like a fan). The new classes rooms are basically a class room in a theather style format umm around 150 seats or so and theres A/C and most lectures are done with a teacher presting on a powerpoint
- Teachers - im going to keep it simple. Some are good some are bad, some are gonna make you wanna kill yourself some you will learn from.. we all went to high school we know how it is, all teachers are different
-Grading: i cant explain this, really weird here but basically if you read and study properly you will pass. In a nutshell, You get what you put in. I can go on and on, theres alot of bull**** but it all comes down to how well you have read.

Campus Life:
- No Clubs, no Alpha beta Gamma and all that, pretty much boring.... but theres always basketball, tennis, soccer, and of course cricket or you can go take a jog.
-Usually it happens out side of campus things to do like movies, theres a new mall where people go umm resturants, clubs, bars, etc.. traveling is annoying here obviously but if you leave the right timings you will be okay traffic wise.

Fees: when i joined i was 100k dollars, now its like somethings absurd 150k? (dollars weak blah) or some nonsense like that. Choice is yours. Alot of people come here because of there parents.. you can just send your kid here and in 6 years hope to make them a doctor.. you gotta have some passion to become one, or you will not like it here at all.

I gave you guys some Pro's and Con's.. i'll try to get some pics here when i get a chance... Any other questions or anything lemme know :)

I'm also in srmc right now. whatever srmc 411 said is pretty accurate.

hey guys! thanks for the info! would u guys recommend going to SRMC rather than going to uci or some other uc incali?