Returning pre-dental, apply this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pettie Baige

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow. I haven't logged into SDN for a very long time and here I am asking a help for my newly developed dilemma about dental school application!

Briefly my history: I'm a non-trad who used to be a pre-dental like 8 years ago. Therefore, I have all the requirements like courseworks (GPA 3.7), extracurricular activities (research, volunteer hours, shadowing hours etc) under my belt already. However, the life sort of happened in between, I've been living in Europe doing non-related work for years. Now I'm considering to return home in the US and my old dream of becoming a dentist is making me itchy. It is now February, so if I happen to do well on DAT this summer, I might as well try applying.

So here are my questions:

1. My pre-dental credentials are like fossils as stated above. Do you think it matters? Or should I do some refreshing volunteer, shadowing, etc?

2. DAT: I'm planning to study DAT this month and sit for the test in June, July. As a person who has never studied for DAT, is it doable with 3-4 months of prep?

3. Now you know a bit about my situation. Is it a good idea to apply this year or maybe prepare more and apply next year?

Thank you in advance for all your help. So good to be back here! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
  1. Fossils are fine. Make sure you have 100+ shadowing and volunteering hours. Shadow another GP so you can get a more recent rec letter though.
  2. I studied for the DAT for 3 months and it was overkill. 2-2.5 should be fine.
  3. Depends on the DAT but I'd do it. Your biggest issue will probably be getting all the rec letters.

Make sure to call the admissions personnel for the programs in which you're interested and ask if your pre-req classes are too old. I know a lot of schools don't have restrictions, but some will say 10 or even 5 years is too long ago. Best to be sure and save yourself from applying to a school with that kind of restriction.

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. Fossils are fine. Make sure you have 100+ shadowing and volunteering hours. Shadow another GP so you can get a more recent rec letter though.
  2. I studied for the DAT for 3 months and it was overkill. 2-2.5 should be fine.
  3. Depends on the DAT but I'd do it. Your biggest issue will probably be getting all the rec letters.

I’m sure your memory is far fresher than someone whose 8 years removed from doing the kind of studying someone who is a junior in college is. I think 3 months is the minimum from scratch and even then that is a stretch.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I am not too worried about getting all the rec letters since there are a couple of professors I keep in touch from time to time. As suggested, I will check with each school and see if older courses are a problem. Looks like my biggest challenge is actually DAT, since o-chem was never my cup of tea. lol

If anyone else like to add additional comment about my situation, please do!

If you haven't already check out the DAT subforum, although I don't want to plug a company, I think you would be impressed with DAT bootcamp's resources, the technology has come a long way and is about as close as you can get to being a package that helps you prep for the exam. Did you look into/get any test prep materials yet?

1. I would shadow. Probably not a crazy amount, but at least something to show that you have current "experience" in the field. Volunteering maybe if you can squeeze it in, but if you already have some I wouldn't be too worried about it if you can't find any to do.

2. I think you should be okay with 3-4 months of prep, but that's studying every single day like it's your second job since you're starting from scratch. Even though O-Chem wasn't your thing you can learn what you need to learn for the DAT with proper studying. Don't be afraid to take longer if you have to, but also you don't want to start studying 6+ months for it because you will begin forgetting important information that you studied early on.

3. I would probably apply next year in your shoes, but if you have the money and you have a solid DAT score before late summer then may as well apply this year too. You have a really interesting story to tell and I think AdComs will like it, at the very least you'll stand out

Biggest thing for me is going to be how old your pre-req credits are. I would call to make sure the schools you are applying to will take them. Also, while speaking with the schools I'd also ask if letters of recs from professors that taught you many years ago are acceptable as well

As someone else said, make sure your pre-reqs are still valid. From my experience, schools don't accept pre-reqs older than X years unless you've been active in academia since taking them.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I am not too worried about getting all the rec letters since there are a couple of professors I keep in touch from time to time. As suggested, I will check with each school and see if older courses are a problem. Looks like my biggest challenge is actually DAT, since o-chem was never my cup of tea. lol

If anyone else like to add additional comment about my situation, please do!
I highly recommend chad's videos! ochem was my weakest point starting out but ochem and gen chem were my highest scores on the DAT. I also used dat bootcamp for extra practice on all sections. I recommend studying intensely for 2-3 months, a LOT of practice, and remember to take breaks so you don't go crazy.

Reactions: 1 users
You've been away for 8 years means what, as far as courses go? If your required courses are 10 years or older, you should retake them at a 4-year institute. Some schools require your required courses be under 5 years of applying, some require 10, and some don't care. Many schools do have these limits and there is a thread somewhere in this forum by someone who looked into this.

I absolutely do not agree with 3 months of studying for the DAT if you were away for 8 years. I was a non-trad applicant myself, and although I spent my time as a biology adjunct for years, I had to spend 3 months for chem and orgo parts, studying from the very beginning. Had I not kept in touch with biology, it would have taken a good 4-5 months, especially since biology in the DAT is so much and random. 3 Months is a good time range for fresh out of school students. Definitely not for the non-trad students who have had sciences long time ago.

I don't think you would be ready for this coming cycle. You should freshen up with your volunteering and shadowing.

I understand that you're late and might have the feeling of rushing things. Ideally, you want to apply only once and get in. If you are not ready, do not take the exam or apply.