Returning to a lab for MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1337leet1337

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started a research position at a medical school a couple of months ago, and I really enjoy the lab objectives, the variety of what I get to do, the PI, and the other people I get to work with in the lab. This particular school does offer the MSTP. Out of curiosity, I was wondering IF (quite a big contingency) I had the privilege to attend this school for their MSTP, is it common or at least possible to join this lab for the graduate portion of the program? It just got me thinking, especially because I would want to come back. Not to mention, I think the familiarity with everything could create some great potential for the sake of research purposes. On the other hand, would exposure to a completely different lab be far more beneficial for a future PI?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

without knowing anything else about your situation, yes it is possible

that's dependent on the specifics of the lab, however. do they have the funding to cover you for graduate school? is the PI even interested in taking you on as a graduate student? have they had MSTP trainees in the past? would the MSTP be okay with this lab for your PhD? can you work in this lab and be in the grad program you want to join? will the MSTP make you do additional rotations in other labs anyway, that you might find to be an even better fit? no one here can answer these questions

No, that's great news. It was more of a theoretical/ideal scenario, I didn't think I was prodding for specifics on how to make this work at the moment - sorry if it read that way. I was really just looking to see if it could happen at all or they preferred something else entirely. Thank you for your time regardless!

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile