Reusing secondary themes, but rewriting the essays? (reapp)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatrickStarMDPHD

Who you calling pinhead?
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I am a reapp from 2013-2014 who got 6 II between top 20s and other programs, but was waitlisted/rejected due to lack of clinical and volunteer experience, which I fixed since then.

I was analyzing my old secondaries at places that I interviewed, and I noticed that my diversity and challenge essay were all asked by the schools that interviewed me on their secondaries.

I believe that those essays are still very relevant to me. I plan on rewriting those secondary essays, however would it be fine if I reuse those same themes? Arguably, I felt that my secondaries during my first cycle were stronger than my old personal statement.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes reusing themes is fine. Adcoms aren't expecting you to suddenly have a different adversity within a year or two

Awesome! I tried drastically changing my diversity and challenge essays at first, but they resulted in significantly weaker essays that I will not use! I will be sure to extensively edit those old essays so adcoms don't get upset, but they did accurately represent me as an applicant! My "Why X School of Medicine" secondaries on the other hand :unsure:, not too good and will get a lot more work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea looking back through my old secondaries from my previous cycle, I was not happy at all with the quality of the work so it'll be back to the drawing board for me haha

Might I ask how many clinical and volunteering hours you had your first time applying?

Might I ask how many clinical and volunteering hours you had your first time applying?

Admittedly, I was not the most knowledgeable premed the first time around. Roughly 20-30 hours of shadowing in one specialty. Just above 50 hours of hospital volunteering. Luckily, I fixed that before applying now.

Admittedly, I was not the most knowledgeable premed the first time around. Roughly 20-30 hours of shadowing in one specialty. Just above 50 hours of hospital volunteering. Luckily, I fixed that before applying now.

I see. Thanks for sharing.

If those themes got you 6 II (which is really impressive, btw), clearly they are okay to use, albeit updated.

Just a tip, and I don't mean this to be rude, but if you got 6 II with no acceptances, I highly doubt it was due your lack of volunteer/clinical experiences. Adcoms definitely take those into consideration when they offer IIs. If I were you, I'd work more on my interviewing/interpersonal skills (maybe you have been?).

If those themes got you 6 II (which is really impressive, btw), clearly they are okay to use, albeit updated.

Just a tip, and I don't mean this to be rude, but if you got 6 II with no acceptances, I highly doubt it was due your lack of volunteer/clinical experiences. Adcoms definitely take those into consideration when they offer IIs. If I were you, I'd work more on my interviewing/interpersonal skills (maybe you have been?).

Definitely, I appreciate the honest advice! My first few interviews were indeed pretty weak (especially since some were MMI), I never got the hang of interviewing until the last few (at my reaches). I have been practicing since then, so I hope I am good for that. Otherwise, my post-interview feedback has been about fixing my clinical involvement.

Bump. Although I successfully rewrote a better version of my diversity essay with the same theme, I am struggling rewriting the challenge essay. Every reworded version of it seemed weaker than the original. Can I afford to reuse, word for word, my old challenge essay? After all, it got me 4/6 interview invites.

Part of me does not want to appear lazy. On the other hand as the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Gotta change some. Add stuff in it take some out. Don't do word for word

Will do, going to be tough but I guess I will have to do it. Thanks!

Will do, going to be tough but I guess I will have to do it. Thanks!
I think changing the intro and ending may work out well since those are most noticeable upon first glance. Intro especially

Reactions: 1 user