Review Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FMMD2BE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just matched into a family medicine residency. What books would you guys recommend?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I just matched into a family medicine residency. What books would you guys recommend?
thanks!

Be self sufficient and use the search function and read the threads. There is a plethora of information and resources the fm docs here have recommended, one of which is Pfenninger and Fowler's Procedures for Primary Care.

Current Medicine 2014. break it down into different parts and have it bound at Kinko's/Office Max and read it throughout the year. MKSAP 16 is good too.
Current Pediatrics 2014 and Current Ob/Gyn, not so current but probably also good.
Current Practice Guidelines in Primary Care 2014

Current Family Medicine has a new edition coming out this year, but it seems too light, 700 pages, seriously? what am i gonna learn from that.

Stuff I found helpful as a med student/subintern and prelim IM intern:

Guidelines for Perinatal Care
The Washington Manual of Critical Care
The Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics

For addressing random crosscover issues and basic floor procedures/notes, I googled and found these helpful guides (although your program may also have its own, my internship program did not, very lame):

UIC Housestaff Survival Guide
USC Intern Survival Guide
UCLA Pediatrics Intern Survival Guide
Stanford OB/GYN Intern Handbook
Penn OB/GYN Intern Handbook

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
these will also likely serve you for Step 3 (overkill? yes). USMLEWorld + MKSAP = >240 Step 3