RFU Masters in Biomedical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewYork2006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the AP program no longer exists at Rosalind Franklin, but is anyone gonna apply to their Masters in Bio Sciences this year? The curriculum is similar to the AP program, with a few new graduate level courses added. Does anyone have any insight into this new program? I know they don't have the 3.0 guarentee, but will they take any students from the program? Will it even impress the adcom if you do well in it? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

NewYork2006 said:
I know the AP program no longer exists at Rosalind Franklin, but is anyone gonna apply to their Masters in Bio Sciences this year? The curriculum is similar to the AP program, with a few new graduate level courses added. Does anyone have any insight into this new program? I know they don't have the 3.0 guarentee, but will they take any students from the program? Will it even impress the adcom if you do well in it? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

If you are looking to a SMP, I wouldn't do RFU because it isn't as well known. The incentive isn't there anymore without the 3.0 guarrantee. Good luck

USArmyDoc said:
If you are looking to a SMP, I wouldn't do RFU because it isn't as well known. The incentive isn't there anymore without the 3.0 guarrantee. Good luck

Awww what happened to the AP and the guarantee? This must have happened recently

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/srhs/bms/#Application

Please note: Future admittance to any other RFUMS program or school is independent of a student’s performance in or completion of the Master’s in Biomedical Sciences Program. There is no preferential treatment for BMS students regarding consideration for admission to the Chicago Medical School.

I noticed that the program has changed. Now, if what they say is true about having not connection to the medical school at all, who in their right mind would want to go to that program? It's not as if RFU is a known university that can provide a comparable education in "Biomedical Sciences" than other schools (even state schools). It doesn't even seem like its a SMP program since most SMP programs have some sort of special treatment for their own students (BU and GTown come to mind). So who would drop $50Ks and go to a crappy school if there is no hope of them getting into RFU's medical school? The only thing I can think of is that they are saying that there is no special consideration for admission into the med school, but in reality if one goes there, the unofficial 3.0 or maybe now 3.2 will be in tact. Anyone have any other info on this?

SuperFly123 said:
I noticed that the program has changed. Now, if what they say is true about having not connection to the medical school at all, who in their right mind would want to go to that program? It's not as if RFU is a known university that can provide a comparable education in "Biomedical Sciences" than other schools (even state schools). It doesn't even seem like its a SMP program since most SMP programs have some sort of special treatment for their own students (BU and GTown come to mind). So who would drop $50Ks and go to a crappy school if there is no hope of them getting into RFU's medical school? The only thing I can think of is that they are saying that there is no special consideration for admission into the med school, but in reality if one goes there, the unofficial 3.0 or maybe now 3.2 will be in tact. Anyone have any other info on this?

I agree, who would drop 50K to go there if they wouldn't even consider you for their med school. Plus, if you look at their site, the majority of the courses offered in the AP program are still offered in the new program. There are only a few other graduate courses they offer, and those are online classes. Now I've never taken an online course, but I can't imagine it providing the same educational experience as classes offered on campus.

There maybe one bennefit that everyone is overlooking, the chance that the guarantee is still there. rfu NEVER said they had a guarantee, there was no guarantee, there was a 99% liklihood you could get in with so and so grade.... but NO guarantee, and they ALWAYS said there was no guarantee, which is what they are doing now....

THERE IS A POSSIBILITY that the "guarantee" is still in place with this new program, except now they are trying to attract people for reasons other than an easy ride into their med school.

Think about it, people with an X grade got into their medical school for the past how many years... if you do about the same as X or god forbid BETTER THAN X, they are gonna look at you, say.... hey we have people in our med school who are doing okay that got a 3.2 in the program, this person has a 3.5, 3.6 (oh **** maybe you actually did some work) and got a 3.8.... i would go with the assumption that you would have a FANTASTIC CHANCE OF GETTING IN.

Another benefit of doing this program and spending the 50k instead of going to gtown..... IT COULD BE A LOT EASIER...... gtown is no joke you gotta put in the time, and if you are one of those people that just wont cut it, isnt smart enough, doesnt work hard enough, maybe this would be a better choice.

Now all that being said... i still would go to gtown, only because I know if i bust my ass at gtown and do well then i'm goin in with the assumption that i'll get in somewhere, because i feel thats more of a guarantee than rfu.

I guess we won't find out for another year, or until their incoming class completes the program.

NewYork2006 said:
I guess we won't find out for another year, or until their incoming class completes the program.

if they dont fill their class they might have to mention about some kind of insentive

Sorry, but I wouldn't take a chance on RFU if you are looking to matriculate this fall. It just is to new of a program. Who wants to risk 50K to MAYBE get into their school? NOT ME!

If anything is to happen only less qualified people will enter this program.

There are other biomedical programs where you dont take med classes = easier time, more time (to do research or whatever), better grades.