Right-sided DIBH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray D. Ayshun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody thought about doing this? Or, doing this? Dosimetry probably not substantially different, but the reality is, it's now a stationary, or more stationary, target there's less radiation going to places it doesn't need to. I have the throughput capability and don't necessarily care if we dont get paid.

Members don't see this ad.

qacR5wB.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Those two reasons I mentioned. Stationary and less RT, and because I can. There was an interesting retro study where IMN's were treated in right breast and not in left, and there was a high LR rate in the left breasts. I wonder if looking back, there's a different rate of recurrence in right breasts treated without breath hold vs left treated with. Maybe it's absurd, but the breast moves with respiration, and given the centrality of the PTV_eval to breast planning, I already feel like I'm looking in the other direction with every breast I plan and treat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll usually do the sim... just in case it helps drop lung dose. Occasionally helps, when doing RNI. But usually don't need it

Reactions: 1 users
I almost always do it, too. There was a mednet discussion about it. When treating IMNs, usually get reduced lung dose and there can be a benefit to heart in right sided cases.

With rni, sure. Wondering about tangents. I don't think anyone can argue it wouldn't be marginally better. It causes no harm, per se, and is easily done, so why not, is my question.

Reactions: 1 user
I almost always do it, too. There was a mednet discussion about it. When treating IMNs, usually get reduced lung dose and there can be a benefit to heart in right sided cases.

I'm with you.

In the last year I've been doing it more and more for R sided cases where I'm treating IM's. I'm seeing better lung dosimetry and heart dosimetry.

I don't do it for R sided tangents or cases where I'm treating breast/axilla/SCLV but omitting IM's.

Does this year's ASTRO make anyone want to demur over IMNing as much

• Haha
In my dept this is standard. Data has suggested improvement in MHD and MLD. Slam dunk for anybody who has it when doing RNI with IMC

Does this year's ASTRO make anyone want to demur over IMNing as much

Please dont start this. I wish all breast people would go into a breast RO squid game and the “winners” decide breast policy in our field rather than having breast be the absolute worst, and most commonly failed section on orals.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Standard for right sided tangents?
Not unless it is a dextrocardia pt which i hAve seen in chart rounds or some other unusual anatomy. For tangents only unless some other issue you likely do not need it. For RNI i would consider slam dunk

If no IMN RT and worried about this stuff sim and treat prone. Great reproducibility, decreased separation and very little lung/heart dose.

Members don't see this ad :)
With rni, sure. Wondering about tangents. I don't think anyone can argue it wouldn't be marginally better. It causes no harm, per se, and is easily done, so why not, is my question.
Main reasons would be that if its really only marginal you just increase the time on the machine and possibly discomfort to the patient if they have trouble holding their breath.

For a short period of time I was doing it on everybody who could hold their breath. Then my therapists got pissed.... now I'm a bit more selective.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Then my therapists got pissed....
The answer to the question "who's mad at me today" is, >90% of the time, "the therapists", often because I asked them for a setup more complicated than "supine on the table, arms down".

I've considered routine right-sided DIBH, but I don't want someone to urinate in my coffee.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
If no IMN RT and worried about this stuff sim and treat prone. Great reproducibility, decreased separation and very little lung/heart dose.
Came here to say this - for tangents only, why not just treat prone? Gets rid of the skin fold too.

Yes with RNI it helps, if treating IM nodes especially. Slam dunk.

If you work in a ‘move the meat’ practice, then yeah you’re not going to like it

• Haha
We just recently changed our practice to adding DIBH sims to our right sided nodal cases. Not the default, but in case we are bumping up on OAR constraints and then we have it without having to call the patient back for repeat sims. Mostly hypofrac nodal treatment here, and have used it for 5 fr nodal treatment on protocol.

Re: dextrocardia - was doing a clinical markuo the other day and one of our sim staff asked me why the scan was reversed on one of my partner’s patients. Total situs inversus, that was something!

Came here to say this - for tangents only, why not just treat prone? Gets rid of the skin fold too.
/tangent
For whole breast tangents only, I literally never treat whole breast anymore. If not doing RNI, no reason to treat whole breast. Partial breast eliminates skin fold too 99% of the time. IMPORT-LOW hasn't gotten much American love or press. Rabonivitch was arguing forcefully yesterday that 5 fraction breast should be the standard for whole breast. Me, I think I might rather hold on to 15 fraction partial breast for a while until those two are compared. I would bet a bitcoin that partial breast always beats whole breast on side effects and patient satisfaction regardless 1 vs 3 weeks.
/tangent

/tangent
For whole breast tangents only, I literally never treat whole breast anymore. If not doing RNI, no reason to treat whole breast. Partial breast eliminates skin fold too 99% of the time. IMPORT-LOW hasn't gotten much American love or press. Rabonivitch was arguing forcefully yesterday that 5 fraction breast should be the standard for whole breast. Me, I think I might rather hold on to 15 fraction partial breast for a while until those two are compared. I would bet a bitcoin that partial breast always beats whole breast on side effects and patient satisfaction regardless 1 vs 3 weeks.
/tangent
Well... One can argue that there are cases where you wouldn't treat with RNI (cN0/pN0) but you wouldn't be comfortable doing IMPORT-LOW either. I am thinking about young, premenopausal patients with TNBC post-BCS and not ypT0, for instance. Would you treat them with PBI?

Well... One can argue that there are cases where you wouldn't treat with RNI (cN0/pN0) but you wouldn't be comfortable doing IMPORT-LOW either. I am thinking about young, premenopausal patients with TNBC post-BCS and not ypT0, for instance. Would you treat them with PBI?
Yes I should not have said "literally." I should have said "almost literally." :) The patient wouldn't really fit in IMPORT-LOW. But I think I literally have not seen a T1N0 44yo TNBC female get NAC and come see me since I recall switching to IMPORT-LOW routinely, which was probably around 2019. (Although wouldn't it be nice to have comfort/confidence to know we could eliminate hundreds of ostensibly normal tissue cc's of irradiated volume in a young patient.) I don't have to tell you it can cause steam to shoot out of your ears if you try to think hard about "Will a tumor coming back 3 inches from the tumor cavity in the breast be an important event in non-ypT0 TNBC or will the tumor coming back 30 inches away in another part of the body be the important event?"

• Love
I'm with TheWallnerus on this. I use IMPORT LOW for most women who are >50 and don't have grade 3 disease, it's rare for me to see any toxicity at all with it

I'm with TheWallnerus on this. I use IMPORT LOW for most women who are >50 and don't have grade 3 disease, it's rare for me to see any toxicity at all with it
Red journal podcast recently had an MDACC breast faculty on talking about PBI. I think they said that they do a fair amount of IMPORT-LOW there. Do you do it with mini-tangents?

Red journal podcast recently had an MDACC breast faculty on talking about PBI. I think they said that they do a fair amount of IMPORT-LOW there. Do you do it with mini-tangents?
We do VMAT for all APBI.

ab54fannzoq21.jpg

I don't. I know that's what the trial did, but I will usually add an extra beam angle or two to make it more conformal. I do follow their margins and planning constraints.

We do VMAT for all APBI.

ab54fannzoq21.jpg
This is probably fine. I always just do two-beam tangents. In America we have a problem with insurance companies that when they see "breast" and "15 fractions" they immediately disallow any IMRT approach. In their guidelines, the insurance companies specifically call Intensity Modulated Partial Organ RT not IMRT.

As a further aside/tangent, in the Intensity Modulated Partial Organ RT-LOW trial, I think like one out of a thousand patients had a verifiable cardiac event after RT (and one wonders if it was definitely RT-related). Imagine how hard it would be to prove prone positioning or DIBH is an Intervention That Matters™ in partial organ RT for early stage breast.

OP - DIBH for R Breast RNI reasonable, can help with V20 lung dose and make a plan meet constraints that otherwise would not have with wide tangents. Not entirely sure how it would help mean heart dose. I'm not sure of rationale for DIBH for R Breast when doing tangents alone? One old guy once told me "DIBH reduces the dose to the liver!!!111" but I'm not sure that liver dose has even been shown to actually matter in breast cancer RT.

Patients who are suitable or cautionary by 1 factor for PBI as per the 2017 guidelines get Livi Rx from me. Why would I bother doing PBI at the same fractionation as WBI?

I just use IMPORT LOW as permission to cheat on WBRT in the more favorable patients if it spares heart/lungs.

I agree with this, in patients who are not otherwise great candidates for PBI, I do feel OK to block heart entirely if tumor bed is not inferomedial.
IMPORT low is with tangents. Livi is with VMAT.

OP - DIBH for R Breast RNI reasonable, can help with V20 lung dose and make a plan meet constraints that otherwise would not have with wide tangents. Not entirely sure how it would help mean heart dose. I'm not sure of rationale for DIBH for R Breast when doing tangents alone? One old guy once told me "DIBH reduces the dose to the liver!!!111" but I'm not sure that liver dose has even been shown to actually matter in breast cancer RT.

Patients who are suitable or cautionary by 1 factor for PBI as per the 2017 guidelines get Livi Rx from me. Why would I bother doing PBI at the same fractionation as WBI?

I agree with this, in patients who are not otherwise great candidates for PBI, I do feel OK to block heart entirely if tumor bed is not inferomedial.
IMPORT low is with tangents. Livi is with VMAT.
My thinking about DIBH for tangents has alot to do with what the plan looks like vs what happens in reality. We 4D most everything these days that might move a litte, yet I'm not aware of anyone doing this for breast and creating an ITV. We have a moving target that we pretend doesn't move. There's kinda been a look the other way approach to breast historically, which is probably just a product of realizing how little we're actually needed, but how important it is to staying employed. I'm wondering about right sided tangent DIBH mostly because, if I'm going to plan as if the target isn't moving, perhaps it'd be best if it doesn't.

• Haha
My thinking about DIBH for tangents has alot to do with what the plan looks like vs what happens in reality. We 4D most everything these days that might move a litte, yet I'm not aware of anyone doing this for breast and creating an ITV. We have a moving target that we pretend doesn't move. There's kinda been a look the other way approach to breast historically, which is probably just a product of realizing how little we're actually needed, but how important it is to staying employed. I'm wondering about right sided tangent DIBH mostly because, if I'm going to plan as if the target isn't moving, perhaps it'd be best if it doesn't.

But nobody plans tangents as if the target isn't going to move. Beams always have flash to account for respiration differences. Perhaps if you think the patient did their FB scan while spontaneously doing DIBH then yes, there might be posterior motion of the rib/chestwall interface.
Currently, R Breast tangents alone have almost zero lung issues.

The only toxicity is generally at the chest wall (pain) or in the breast/skin, which extending the posterior border wouldn't affect. I do think 'standard' tangents go too high based on 2D breast borders and frequently move top border down to avoid treating low axilla which maybe helps with lymphedema risk in a patient undergoing even SLNB.

That being said, LR being as low as it is after lumpectomy + tangents suggests that there really isn't anything to improve on from an accuracy standpoint. Now in (A)PBI being done to reduce toxicity, if somebody wanted to DIBH and tight PTV margins on a right breast, I would get it.

I think (A)PBI needs to evaluated more thoroughly with data helping to determine if the 'cautionary' factors are actually a problem or simply understudied. My eventual hope (assuming the data pans out) is that (A)PBI guidelines come at least somewhat close to reflecting most recent WBI guidelines in regards of when to do hypofrac (which is "basically 100% of the time")

I'm really not enthusiastic on the 26/5 data given that multiple 'minor' cosmetic endpoints are already worse than 40/15, and that a 1Gy difference may make such a stark difference in cosmesis

Kinda flash right? All that forward planned IMRT/ecomp is different than just having open fields. Maybe even very different if we're talking a 1 cm excursion.

Kinda flash right? All that forward planned IMRT/ecomp is different than just having open fields. Maybe even very different if we're talking a 1 cm excursion.
Doubtful. George Chen and his guys at MGH studied this a ton back in the early days of IMRT when everyone was stupid frightened of IMRT for lung and moving targets. He showed how the IRL target dose gets to the TPS Rx dose, with good margins, after only a few fractions. Five fractions would push this assumption a little far but for 15 or more fractions... the dose to the moving target is reliable w/ dMLCs. In summary, motion is no more a big deal in fractionated IMRT than in fractionated 3DCRT.

In my system, admins are the ones pushing right-sided DIBH. What is their exact incentive?