Right time to take OAT

LUC78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
HELP!!!!
I'm really weak in chemistry so I decided to retake chem 2 and orgo next semester.
I have the option of taking the OAT 1 week after my semester ends OR 5 weeks after.

I need some advice on which would be better-- I'm leaning towards 1 week after because I feel like the chemistry will be really fresh in my head after finals. But is that enough time to practice Bio, Physics, RC, QR?

My schedule is pretty light except for the chem classes. I'm on board of 1 club & would be volunteering at an optometrists office. I'm just not really able to gauge for myself how much time I would need to study for the remaining subjects. I'm an average student when it comes to science.

In the one week (or 5 weeks) I have I'd go over OAT destroyer and Kaplan Flashcards & take practice exams.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you should make a schedule and take full advantage of your free times between your classes and club activities, such as study for OAT 4~5 days/week, 2~3 hours/day. Write the OAT one week after your final is a good idea, like you said you'll have fresh chemistry knowledge. But I'll suggest don't wait for the last week to go over "OAT destroyer and Kaplan Flashcards & take practice exams", that will be too much for 7 days.

You can divide your review process into 3 steps:

Step 1: Review all the basic concepts & knowledge of all the subjects by using Kaplan big book& other reviewing books, meanwhile taking your own notes.

Step 2: Review all the material for the second/third times, while practicing questions using OAT destroyers. At this stage, you can modify your notes, highlight all your weak spots, make marks/keep a record of the hard questions. By the end of this stage you can take Kaplan full-length test 1.

Step 3 (the last week): Go over your highlighted notes, and redo marked practice questions. Then take Kaplan full-length test 2.
1~2 days before the test, just go through your notes.

Here is my OAT experience and learning strategy, hope this can help with making your own study plan:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...nd-study-strategy_2016.1214481/#post-18046666

Thank you SO much for your answer it was truly helpful!! How many days a week do you recommend I volunteer at an optometrists office? Is twice a week for 2-3 hours good or would once a week suffice.
I plan on shadowing every once in a while at different offices on weekends as well.

Thank you SO much for your answer it was truly helpful!! How many days a week do you recommend I volunteer at an optometrists office? Is twice a week for 2-3 hours good or would once a week suffice.
I plan on shadowing every once in a while at different offices on weekends as well.

About shadowing, I'm afraid I could not give you any valuable advice since my shadowing experience was from Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Optometry clinics. And also I'm applying for the AODP (Accelerated Optometry Degree Program) at NECO, which requirements are slightly different from the 4-year program. So my shadowing experience may can not be applied to your case.

In my opinion, your plan for shadowing sounds good, but you may need a second voice on this one.