River Banks, Resistance, Fluids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ModusProbandi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to the resistance of the river banks, the flow velocity will be lower near the edges and the bottom of the river than in the centre. According to Bernoulli's equation, what can one say about the relative gauge pressure?

How is "It will be greater near the edges and the centre of the river" the answer?!

I figured an answer might be "It will be greater near the edges and the bottom of the river."

Members don't see this ad.

It would be more helpful if I was able to see all of the answer choices, but from the information that I have, I agree with you. From what I understand, the answer should be the one that yields the highest values of absolute pressure from the Bernouilli Equation.

The only thing I can come up with is that the answer meant to say, "It will be greater near the edges than the centre of the river."

Last edited:
yes, I agree. Please post as detailed information regarding the question as possible so that we don't have to spend time deciphering what the quesitons and the solution manual were trying to say