RMSK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oreosandsake

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone out there get certified?

would love to hear your thoughts on rationale, and the utility for this certification.

Members don't see this ad.

insurances are playing around with requiring AIUM or ARDMS for reimbursement. It's started in some markets already. With the reimbursement cuts what's the point of an expensive certification? We're getting squeezed from every direction.
Will it help? probably. Will it be required in the future? Maybe
I did it

anyone out there get certified?

would love to hear your thoughts on rationale, and the utility for this certification.

Mayo have been encouraged to apply for ARDMS/RMSK since most of us have enough scans to consider applying for test. I am going to wait until during or after my sports fellowship. I have heard the AIUM and other credentialing boards are going to start making these tests harder, but when MSKUS is required for PM&R and Sports that it will get harder. Especially if no one is allowed to use or bill for diagnostic or interventional MSKUS. We shall see...

Members don't see this ad :)
the goal of all ACGME sports fellowships is to make insurances understand that sports board certification is adequate for MSK US competency. We're meeting next month to hammer out the details

I'll be taking this exam at the end of the month only for the purpose of my continuing education and a marketing strategy for myself in the future. Honestly, however, I am fundamentally against a certification that is administered by a technologist organization. I think physicians should set standards for physicians. I think the ABPMR and ABR and whatever other practice organization who wants to join in should create a focused practice recognition like this:
http://www.abim.org/specialty/hospital-medicine.aspx

Do ER docs have to certify for their FAST exams or is that considered part of residency?

Do ER docs have to certify for their FAST exams or is that considered part of residency?

That's just residency. It's just a screen anyway, it's not a procedure they bill for (I don't think at least).

I'll be taking this exam at the end of the month only for the purpose of my continuing education and a marketing strategy for myself in the future. Honestly, however, I am fundamentally against a certification that is administered by a technologist organization. I think physicians should set standards for physicians. I think the ABPMR and ABR and whatever other practice organization who wants to join in should create a focused practice recognition like this:
http://www.abim.org/specialty/hospital-medicine.aspx

Wow, just read your signature. Interesting educational background.

who does the ultrasound guided fine needle aspirations/biopsies say for thyroids? do they require certification?
see where I'm going with this

who does the ultrasound guided fine needle aspirations/biopsies say for thyroids? do they require certification?
see where I'm going with this

Not sure where you are going, but I do know the answer.

$$$$$$$$$$$

Like I said, ACGME sports fellowships are trying to get US "certification" as part of being sports boarded. Considering Anesthesia & Pain do regional blocks, this is an interesting dilemma for them as well. Who knows what ABPM&R will do, if anything.

ARDMS is seeking ten minutes of your time to complete an online survey regarding the possible development of an advanced emergency medicine ultrasound certification.

Quick question for all those who have taken the RMSK exam: whats the turn around time you've seen for the results? I took it Monday, and got a printout saying that the results will be in by June 16th. Did you have to wait a full 60 days for your results?

I'm still taking my ARDMS test when offered next in fall. After oral boards and sports boards.

They keep talking about the ACGME sports fellowship thing but I don't see how you can say all fellows are equally trained at Sports US or MSKUS when not all programs with faculty equally trained in US

Despite the amssm and AAPMR best efforts to standardize and recommended check list for MSK us for sports fellows

I think the AIUM and ARDMS certification for all physicians doing MSK US will win out

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a separate test for just sports US (since we do trauma scans for solid organ trauma like FAST)

Or separate test for pain anesthesia given all the axial and peripheral blocks that are not done by most non surgical sports folks outside of PMR sports

Im on the US committee for AMSSM and I'll see if there is any more consensus when we meet in April.

I Agree with Taus best to get the certification that the payors recognize for this skill

Is it possible to get certified as a resident? since PA's can be certified, it doesn't seem like you have to be the one making the diagnosis. For example, if you see 150 cases during residency, can you be eligible to take the exam?