RN to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNtoMD4sure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here a MD, but was a RN before?

How are the RN clinicals vs med school clinicals?

I just find nursing education to not be as in depth medical knowledge as I thought it would be.

Any help from someone who has done RN to MD track, would be great, and how their experience was once they went to medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Either you're a troll or are clueless. You won't make it far in either profession with that attitude.

Members don't see this ad :)
First. I would relax with the hostility. Even in your first post you come off very negative.

There's many threads on people going from RN to MD.

If your specific question is, is medical school more fun (for lack of a better word) than nursing school? The answer is probably yes. My gf did nursing school and talked often about how silly it was. From reading NClEX questions some can be pretty absurd. The learning curve is still pretty great once out of school. You can say the same thing for medical school tho too. Hence residency. You are certainly treated with more respect in school and in the profession. Why idk. But they are different careers so its not really comparable. Med school is more competitive and takes much longer.

The whole "it should be a degree certificate" just sounds kinda silly and bitter. Every schooling has info you don't use.

Last edited:
To ******ED Clutch21:

Dear *****,

Are you a RN to MD?

I am looking for someone who has done this route.

If you have not then you have no clue about nursing school.

Also you are very rude to call me a troll or I am clueless. Obviously that is why I have posted the question.

Did you score low on your reading section on the mcat or something?

Keep your silly comments to yourself.

Your responses are unbecoming of a physician.

In...

To ******ED Clutch21:

Dear *****,

Are you a RN to MD?

Also you are very rude to call me a troll or I am clueless. Obviously that is why I have posted the question.

29526447.jpg

Seriously though, there was no need to blow that out of proportion :laugh: You'll get better answers if you're respectful.

Reactions: 1 users
To ******ED Clutch21:

Dear *****,

Are you a RN to MD?

Actually yeah, I'm an RN, BSN starting MD school in the fall. So I think I might have some sort of clue about nursing school. Given your insensitive and careless remarks about the profession of nursing, I don't think I was off base or rude to assume you are either trolling or clueless.

Ahhhh so why are you doing MD then?

Go for nurse practitioner.

I didn't find enough applicable science in the nursing field.. I wanted to learn and apply more pathophys and clinical reasoning. I already had most pre-reqs for med school so it was a relatively easy jump.

Clutch21 how long were you an RN for before applying to medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)

No worries, Sorry that I assumed that you were trolling. I just have a lot of respect for those in the field nursing.

MCAT prep will depend on how much time you have and what you are doing during the window that you want to prepare. I personally found it necessary to set aside an entire summer to study for the MCAT (though not always practical). This was partly because I had not taken O-chem yet and hadn't taken physics since high school.

I used SN2ed's 3 month study schedule and did not regret it. It was cheaper than a course (but still pretty pricey, ~$600-800). I found the plan to be very comprehensive, especially for the sciences. I would definitely recommend this route if you have the time and resources. Hope that helps!

Clutch21 how long were you an RN for before applying to medical school?

Lol. I love how you lash at us for criticizing your OP, quickly edited your posts and presented the question as if nothing had happened. Strong work.

Lol. I love how you lash at us for criticizing your OP, quickly edited your posts and presented the question as if nothing had happened. Strong work.

:)

I am not a bad person. Just started off on the wrong page. It happens.

this is what happens when people overreact to things

It's always a good learning experience. Reality can be far worse than an online, anonymous forum. ;)

Yup. Pretty much this.

Agent B were you RN and now in Medical school already?

I am looking for some advice on how medical school is and what you think after nursing?

Agent B were you RN and now in Medical school already?

I am looking for some advice on how medical school is and what you think after nursing?

No i'm not an RN, but I actually did know few RNs who applied and got into medical schools. I think a few threads before accurately sum up the experience and I'll look.for them and post them here.

No i'm not an RN, but I actually did know few RNs who applied and got into medical schools. I think a few threads before accurately sum up the experience and I'll look.for them and post them here.

Thanks.

Hi there,
I came across you profile and I though you would be able to help me. I have been a registered nurse for 4 yrs, worked in ER, PSYCH,ASA.I am looking to go to medical school. SO far all i have is an AA in general studies and ASN in ursing. I have taken Bio 1 and 2, chem 1 and 2, anatomy and phsyiology, statistics and calc. What is the best route to take from here. I was thinking of finishing my BSN, which is mostly online and from my co workers who are doing it they say its pretty easy so I am thinking I could use that to enhance my GPA. Do medical schools acceps BSN being that more than 90% of it is done online. Is it best to go this route and then finish the rest of med school requirements such as organic chem 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2? The science courses I have taken so far I took at a communiy college which last year became a state college (Valencia college in orlando, Florida) Should I retake those because I have heard some med schools look down upon courses taken at a community college? Should I retake them at a university to enhance my chances of being accepted. Which route did you take from RN to medical school? How abt post bacc programs? Would you recommend those? Thanks in advance.

I'm a traditional student but I've worked with a 3rd year medical student who was a trauma nurse (RN) for about 4 years before applying to medical school. She claims that her previous experience was invaluable to her interest in medicine and her acceptance to med school. She was super familiar with much of the clinical work she had to do in school.

I wish SDN kept a record of edit histories, this thread seemed like it was very interesting when it first started.

Reactions: 2 users