RN to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN, sorry to bring this topic up again but I just need some advice on what the best route is for going to med school. I recently graduated from an accelerated nursing program and obtained my bachelors in nursing with a 3.89 GPA.

From what I read...

1) I can either get my credits at a community college, take the MCAT than go to med school?

2) Post Bacc Program, MCAT -> Med school

Are those my only two options?

Does Med schools care whether the credits come from a CC or a 4 year college?

Any other suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN, sorry to bring this topic up again but I just need some advice on what the best route is for going to med school. I recently graduated from an accelerated nursing program and obtained my bachelors in nursing with a 3.89 GPA.

From what I read...

1) I can either get my credits at a community college, take the MCAT than go to med school?

Do the Post Bacc program as community college pre-reqs are looked down upon.
Why did you do an accelerated nursing program if you were wanting to go for an MD...?

You can take the pre-reqs at a CC. There is another thread going on about this topic at the moment... if you have specific schools in mind, the best thing would be to ask them if they accept CC credits or not. Off the top of my head, you have to argue your way to get them accepted at places like BU, Tufts... Oh, the MSAR also states which schools take them and which don't. You just got your nursing degree so they'll be understanding of the financial aspect... people on sdn need to be a little more open-minded. There are no hard rules to the process.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you do an accelerated nursing program if you were wanting to go for an MD...?

Why would that matter? This extra training only produces a better doctor.

Reactions: 1 users

The admissions will wonder why OP was wanting to change from nursing to MD when both degrees help people in the healthcare setting. It also looks weird to get a nursing degree and then completely switch career paths.

Reactions: 1 user

Not all school's look down on CC pre-reqs. I know more that half of Florida MD school's that do accept them.

The admissions will wonder why OP was wanting to change from nursing to MD when both degrees help people in the healthcare setting. It also looks weird to get a nursing degree and then completely switch career paths.

From my understanding, it's kind of looked down upon for someone to hop straight from nursing school to med school, as it will look like they a) can't commit to one field and/or b) took the seat in nursing school away from someone who is actually planning on working as a nurse. Neither of these viewpoints is very favourable. That's just the conventional wisdom that I've heard tossed around on this forum; it makes sense to me, but it might not be true everywhere.

An exception is if someone has a truly compelling reason for wanting to switch professions and can speak sincerely/eloquently as to why they want to go back to school. So if that's the OP, great! Best of luck :luck:

I graduated with my BSN in May and will be spending the next two years finishing up MD prerequisite courses. From the people I've spoken with regarding the jump from RN to MD, I've yet to have someone involved with medical school admissions tell me that it will hinder my application. This has came from both MD and DO programs. As long as you can intelligently convey your reasoning for the switch, have a decent GPA/MCAT, and have stellar EC's, I feel as though having all of that extra hospital and patient-care experience will only strengthen your chances of an acceptance.

I'm in sort of the same situation. I got my RN a few years ago and it was probably a little over a year into working that I decided that I really loved the healthcare field (more than I thought I would) and wanted to do more with it. I then started to on a course to pursue my BSN (finished in August '12). And then onto completing BCPM reqs for med school.

I do not think my choice to become a nurse will hurt my chances at all. I actually think it will help it quite a bit. By the time I apply, I will have ~6,000 hours of clinical experience. It's safe to say that I have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into when it comes to being a physician (more so than most who go straight from HS>college>Med School with little idea of what the healthcare field actually entails).

I also do not regret becoming a nurse first. I chose it not because that's what I wanted to do ever since I was 4yo, or whatever (same with being a Dr.). I chose it because I really had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and it was a good field to jump into. It has since opened my eyes to things that I have found that I really enjoy and am very good at.

Cliffs: I think I can explain my case to where I do not think it will hurt my chances, but actually help it. I would advise you to do the same.

From what I read...

Why would you change careers after you invested time to become an RN?

Ask yourself why you even want to go to medical school in the first place.

Switching careers is not odd at all for medicine. In fact, there are many "nontraditional" graduates who have life experience that enriches their patient encounters and performance as a physician.

I think many CC have awesome classes and teachers and the education is sometimes better than other places due to smaller class sizes and personal attn, etc.

I would say study hard for those MCATs.

Keep on truckin...

Why don't more nurses who are currently IN med school now post on here? I think that would help as well.

From what I read...

A post bacc is a better bet, hands down. CC can be fine, but most medical schools do want to see a degree from a 4 year university. They will look carefully at any applicants who pass initial screening, however. So if there are legimitate reasons to do pre-reqs at a CC like family, job, whatever, you will be hindered less. But a 4 year is always a better choice if it is a viable option for you.

You make it sound like the OP has made some huge committment to nursing. He/she did four years of college, same as everyone else. And decided on nursing school in high school, probably before they knew exactly what they were getting themselves into and how it compared to medicine. People switch their minds all the time. You make it sound like OP trained for 10+ years only decide to do something completely different.

I have a hard time believing that RN have a significantly harder time getting into medical school because I know plenty of healthcare professionals who have jumped into medical school right after they completed their previous training. Get a good gpa on pre-reqs and get a good MCAT and no one will say no to you based on your degree (assuming you can explain the switch well).

Story: A friend of mine went to pharmacy school and then medical school. Before taking his MCAT he spoke to an admissions committee at a local medical school, and was told that his reasons for switching were not compelling enough and that he should think about sticking with pharmacy. However their tune changed pretty quickly when he churned out a 37 on the MCAT. Moral of the story: Get the number and use your experiences in a positive manner, and you will get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
You make it sound like the OP has made some huge committment to nursing. He/she did four years of college, .

Wouldnt that be a BSN? I was under the impression that RN was an associates degree.

Wouldnt that be a BSN? I was under the impression that RN was an associates degree.

You can become an RN by either an associates degree or bachelors. The OP did say they graduated with a bachelor's in nursing, so they do have their BSN.

Last edited:
There are various reasons that could influence a change in career path, especially if she is staying in the same field. Which one of you naysayers have been on an admission committee? Yeah, that's what I thought!! Direct involvement in patient care (I'm a x-ray/MRI tech) exposes you to the various elements and facets of medicine, something that shadowing/observation can never do. Upon exposure, even in the academic sense, it's not unlikely that one may evaluate themselves and their potential and realize there is so much more they could offer if they furthered their education and obtained a medical degree. I know a former nurse that is now in her third year at Northwestern and a former x-ray tech who is now a radiologist in town.

You will be fine; I'd suggest the post-bacc program though with some upper level courses. The rigor will be more like what you'll encounter in med school.

Being a nurse before applying to med school helped me tremendously. I think that is because I had so much clinical exposure as a nurse, jumping straight out of nursing after graduation and shooting for medical school prob wont help you in the same way it is kinda like getting your EMT then not using it. However I can empathize with your situation. I enjoyed nursing but it did take going through all of nursing school and working some to realize I enjoyed it but it is not something I wanted to do for my entire life. I say just take your prereqs at a university and take the MCAT. If you can hold a nursing job and get As and a good MCAT score while taking prereqs that would be even better. Also a good way to meet some doctors and land a proper letter of recommendation when you show them you have the aptitude to become a physician. :thumbup:

OP, I'm in a similar boat also. I am actually still presently seeking my RN. I'm heading into my 4th and final semester in nursing school (I'll graduate in this May). I decided after my junior year (1st year in nursing school) that I desired a medical field with more autonomy and greater clinical reasoning. I guess in short, something with more application of science.

I applied to several Texas schools this fall. Luckily, I had picked up some prereqs during the summers, had AP credits, and many of my nursing classes also applied. I received three interviews and they all went well. My interviewers tended to focus on the upside of having a nursing degree and how it will broaden my perspective going into medical school. Not once did I hear any negative comments about my decision to go to medical school, straight from nursing school. I'll be attending my first choice next Fall.

I think if you are leaving nursing for the right reasons and are genuine about it, then having nursing school under your belt could be a help and not a hindrance.

OP, I'm in a similar boat also. I am actually still presently seeking my RN. I'm heading into my 4th and final semester in nursing school (I'll graduate in this May). I decided after my junior year (1st year in nursing school) that I desired a medical field with more autonomy and greater clinical reasoning. I guess in short, something with more application of science.

I applied to several Texas schools this fall. Luckily, I had picked up some prereqs during the summers, had AP credits, and many of my nursing classes also applied. I received three interviews and they all went well. My interviewers tended to focus on the upside of having a nursing degree and how it will broaden my perspective going into medical school. Not once did I hear any negative comments about my decision to go to medical school, straight from nursing school. I'll be attending my first choice next Fall.

I think if you are leaving nursing for the right reasons and are genuine about it, then having nursing school under your belt could be a help and not a hindrance.

Congratulations!

Keep posting on here to help others!

I agree with Clutch above it would be very unlikely to come off as a bad thing. I think the nursing school alone at worst would come off neutral. Being a nurse first does indeed given you a lot more insight into patient care and how the process works. I was asked in many of my interviews why I was leaving nursing but never as it was a bad thing they just wanted to see I had thought about the transition. I was also asked to compare nursing to being a physician. :thumbup:

Another RN/BSN to MD person here. Will be matriculating this summer after a similar route, accelerated BSN program, some post-bacc courses and the MCAT. The keys that have already been mentioned are to show how your clinical experience prepared you for patient care and clarified your career choices. Some folks will question whether you can commit after one switch, but as long as it's not a pattern in other areas you should be fine.

In terms of the original question, your options are post-bacc vs individual classes and then whether you want classes at 4-yr college vs CC. I believe med schools definitely care but will view this along with your whole academic record. BSN/nursing school and CC will be viewed as less rigorous science prep than a traditional premed route. Meaning even 3.89 BSN, solid CC classes and solid MCAT may still leave you limited options if people are wondering whether you can handle the science-heavy M1-M2 years. Either more rigorous classes or an outstanding MCAT can answer those questions, as could research experience/recommendations. As for doing a set post-bacc program, one of the biggest advantages is advising. Most will write a dean's letter for when you apply and help you through the process. Many also have linkages where you can apply directly without taking a gap year. It's worth looking into especially if you don't already have advising through your nursing school.

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM if you have more specific questions. I had a very unique application (inconsistent science grades from 4-year, second bachelor's in nursing, outstanding MCAT) and have multiple acceptances from some top schools for this year. It can be done but don't short-change the process if this is really what you want to do!

Don't listen to these idiots on here. Plenty of people make career changes and head to medical school. We have dentists, PA's, NP's, RN's, Engineers, teachers, pharmacists, etc in my class.

The only people with an issue are the 20 y/o pre-meds who think it's an issue.

And for the record which adcom do you sit on? The wanting to know why is valid. Looking down upon a change, however, comes from what source?

For the record, I changed health fields to medicine and never had one person indicate s/he looked down on it.

And for the record which adcom do you sit on? The wanting to know why is valid. Looking down upon a change, however, comes from what source?

For the record, I changed health fields to medicine and never had one person indicate s/he looked down on it.

I do think LizzyM weighed in on one of these threads awhile back and said that the climb might be slightly steeper for a nurse wanting to switch.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

I do think LizzyM weighed in on one of these threads awhile back and said that the climb might be slightly steeper for a nurse wanting to switch.

I do believe that comment was with regard to someone who was just starting college and choosing nursing as a major.

Nursing labs can be a time sink and the curve in nursing classes can be harsh. The OP has overcome that hurdle with a great gpa so that's not an issue.

Working at least 2 days/wk while doing a post-bac will provide some income and help build clinical skills. The best answer to "why medicine" in this situation is "to be the leader of the health care team" and "a desire to expand my scope of practice beyond what is possible for a nurse, or even a nurse practitioner." It works for someone who does pre-reqs as a post-bac; not so much for someone who walks into a nursing program as a "pre-med".

I do believe that comment was with regard to someone who was just starting college and choosing nursing as a major.

Nursing labs can be a time sink and the curve in nursing classes can be harsh. The OP has overcome that hurdle with a great gpa so that's not an issue.

Working at least 2 days/wk while doing a post-bac will provide some income and help build clinical skills. The best answer to "why medicine" in this situation is "to be the leader of the health care team" and "a desire to expand my scope of practice beyond what is possible for a nurse, or even a nurse practitioner." It works for someone who does pre-reqs as a post-bac; not so much for someone who walks into a nursing program as a "pre-med".

Thanks for the clarification on that :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

My school has a handful of ex-nurses, a PA, a PhD, a music therapist and a Pharmacist (me). Having that diversity makes our small group discussions much more interesting than a bunch of pre-meds with no real life healthcare experience (IMO)

Go for it, and don't let anyone keep you down!

Hello I am in the same case... I am doing my bachelors in nursing and planning to join a post bacc pre med program aftewards.. YES some people might think why the change of career or why nursing... WELL i have my own private reasons that so far i've shared with many of the people that i work with which happen to be Drs. Some of them are professors at some med schools in universities in florida... . Some of them are ready to work with me as a nurse and give me those great letters of recommendation. YES i am someone very fresh that when there is a surgery in my clinical rotation i beg my professor to go and i always ask questions about whats going on... . and drs like that to teach when they see that someone has that hunger knowledge. Also i am the kind of person that if i am going to shadow a bone marrow transplant which i did .. i studied the whole surgery the day before... and yes the dr was very happy that i knew more of the stuff.. and in the OR he asked me some questions and treated me like any of the other 3 med students and residents. I got the chance to tell a dr that there were more cancerous polyps in a patient's pancreas because in the angle that he was working to remove the tumor he couldnt see them.. then he told me " great catch" would you like to assisst me to closed the patient.. i knew what kind of suture he was gonna do on the patient and that was the invite... ( i couldnt because i was in nursing rotation and the hospitalt doesnt allow to touch anything) i work in the ER -XRAY department of x hospital and yes i am learning to read xrays is kind of fun.. to see inflitrations and some pneumonia.. FOREIGN OBJECTS.. and fractures, so that i am going to apply to med schooll. yes and i would show to the committee that if you have the DESIRE AND THE PASSION to do something that you love why not to give you that chance...

For the records getting a nursing degree.. would keep me with a secure job while i am the process of seeing if i get accepted or not.
my point of view is .. i work as a nurse go to school and apply get rejected ok go back and apply next while imake money as a nurse and master my skillss..

regular applicatns.. HS> UNIVERSITY > NOT ACCEPTED TO MED SCHOOL = work at mcdonalds or any retail store maybe some hospital as scribe... not offense .. every job is important but my point is everyone has a chance.. :) god bless you all

thank you for all your responses! helped me tremendously on making a decision.

Trust me they've asked themselves. The reason some switch from RN to MD is because you have more scope of reach as a physician than a nurse. You are responsible for making decisions. A big conflict in hospitals is between junior docs and senior nurses for this very reason. Senior nurses think they have the experience and know what is right while junior docs think they have the knowledge and there are sometimes conflicts between the two.

Word to the wise: Don't get on the nurses bad side lol

Thank you for this reply! I am in a similar boat, as I started out on a nurse anesthetist track but realized around senior year of my BSN program that I truly wanted to pursue medicine. While I of course have my own reasons for the switch which are actually the same ones you listed, I had been wanting a more "expert" opinion on the best or correct way to answer the impending "Why the switch?" question.

While I of course have my own reasons for the switch which are actually the same ones you listed, I had been wanting a more "expert" opinion on the best or correct way to answer the impending "Why the switch?" question.

Don't overestimate the "expert opinion" - I found that the best prep for this question on the interview trail was to be very clear at a personal level. If you have explored both fields and are 100% sure, you will have lots of chances to practice this discussion as you explain to family, friends and mentors why you are taking on such a big commitment. By the time you've taken prerequ's/MCAT and applied your answer will be clear and well-practiced.

Not to knock the traditional applicants, but I think nurses have the most clarity in terms of the specific roles and the choice we're making. I met many folks coming out of undergrad who were answering "Why MD?" with some version of, "I like science and want to help people," while I could speak much more specifically to roles, specialties, personalities, etc.

Good luck to all!

Thank you for this reply! I am in a similar boat, as I started out on a nurse anesthetist track but realized around senior year of my BSN program that I truly wanted to pursue medicine. While I of course have my own reasons for the switch which are actually the same ones you listed, I had been wanting a more "expert" opinion on the best or correct way to answer the impending "Why the switch?" question.

The why swtich question should be answered by you and no one else. It is a personal decision. It's no different than my decision to leave a phd program and go to medical school or someone else who decides to leave teaching and go into medicine.

This cookie cutter answer crap is so annoying and should be perceived as a lack of confidence in your own decision to go into the field.

hello,
another rn to md person here

I am currently persuing a BSN-RN degree, and I intend to be a rn for at least a few years. I love the nursing field But i have also wanted to be a doctor for the longest time, after being a rn for a few years, what are the chances of me going back to med school
and also since an rn program doesnt cover most pre-reqs for med school, how does it look to get those pre-reqs either from another school or a community college after i get my ben?
--i feel as though working as a nurse will help expand my medical knowledge and help to expand my knowledge of different roles within the hospital which would help me with my medical schooll and also patient care itself is extremely important to me so i feel like the skills and qualities i would develop as a rn in quality patient care would in turn greatly help with my bedside manner.

i know that these questions are being asked over and over but i just didnt really see anything regarding taking pre-med courses after geting a bsn from a cc or another university

hello,
what are the chances of me going back to med school
and also since an rn program doesnt cover most pre-reqs for med school, how does it look to get those pre-reqs either from another school or a community college after i get my ben?
Most likely your nursing classes won't count for any MD prerequs other than the basic english, social sciences, etc. You'll have at least 3 semesters of chemistry, 2 of physics, lots of biology, etc to complete. Look around where you live or look at AAMC post-bac programs to search. You can take classes individually, but the programs are usually faster and offer advising, shadowing, etc. In terms of how feasible this is, it really depends on your ability to study a lot of science and take the substantial time/money in your life to complete requirements, apply and go to school.

--i feel as though working as a nurse will help expand my medical knowledge and help to expand my knowledge of different roles within the hospital which would help me with my medical schooll and also patient care itself is extremely important to me so i feel like the skills and qualities i would develop as a rn in quality patient care would in turn greatly help with my bedside manner.
This is all true and can be emphasized once you get to essays and interviews. However, to get there you need to get over the hurdle of rigorous science prep in courses, MCAT, research, etc. Also you should make sure you know the differences between nursing and medical models - most MD's spend less time at the bedside than RN's and the question of "why not NP" will likely be raised by advisors and interviewers.

Hi LizzyM,

Could you elaborate on your last statement, that "It works for someone who does pre-reqs as a post-bac; not so much for someone who walks into a nursing program as a "pre-med""?

I am asking because this is more of my scenario. I graduated with a traditional pre-med degree with a 3.7 science GPA, tons of EC's and leadership, and a publication, but decided to take a gap year. For financial reasons (paid for my undergrad and as a result am far too familiar with student loans) and wanting to go into primary care I decided to do a post-bac accelerated BSN program to become an NP. Long story short I was able to work directly in the hospital with patients and see the nursing and interprofessional model first hand, and I decided to go for medical school after all, after two semesters in that program (3.97 GPA nursing ). I now value the role of a physician more than I realized as a pre-med. I also value the nurse more as well, but what I truly desire is the knowledge obtained through medical school and the leadership role of a physician.

I'm curious of how this will be viewed to the medical schools I just applied to (MD and DO). I personally am confident in my decision. I recieved a 30 MCAT, but otherwise am a well-rounded candidate. I'm hoping it will benefit me and not be seen as a negative component to my background.. Only time will tell.

Sorry for the rant, this was a great thread to read.

Hi LizzyM,

Could you elaborate on your last statement, that "It works for someone who does pre-reqs as a post-bac; not so much for someone who walks into a nursing program as a "pre-med""?

I am asking because this is more of my scenario. I graduated with a traditional pre-med degree with a 3.7 science GPA, tons of EC's and leadership, and a publication, but decided to take a gap year. For financial reasons (paid for my undergrad and as a result am far too familiar with student loans) and wanting to go into primary care I decided to do a post-bac accelerated BSN program to become an NP. Long story short I was able to work directly in the hospital with patients and see the nursing and interprofessional model first hand, and I decided to go for medical school after all, after two semesters in that program (3.97 GPA nursing ). I now value the role of a physician more than I realized as a pre-med. I also value the nurse more as well, but what I truly desire is the knowledge obtained through medical school and the leadership role of a physician.

I'm curious of how this will be viewed to the medical schools I just applied to (MD and DO). I personally am confident in my decision. I recieved a 30 MCAT, but otherwise am a well-rounded candidate. I'm hoping it will benefit me and not be seen as a negative component to my background.. Only time will tell.

Sorry for the rant, this was a great thread to read.

So you are someone who started out as pre-med, then thought you could be happy as a nurse or mid-level, did that and then came around to realizing that medicine is a better fit. No worries. There was a point where you were doing the training for NP intending to work in that field. That's a different situation than going into a BSN program with the intention of being a traditional pre-med applicant 3 years hence.

So you are someone who started out as pre-med, then thought you could be happy as a nurse or mid-level, did that and then came around to realizing that medicine is a better fit. No worries. There was a point where you were doing the training for NP intending to work in that field. That's a different situation than going into a BSN program with the intention of being a traditional pre-med applicant 3 years hence.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you! And yup, that's my situation in a nutshell.