RN who have become MDS.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curious428

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Wanted to reach out and ask those previous RNs who have become MDS.

1. How their GPA was in nursing school?
2. How their prerequisites science for medical school GPA was?
3. Did you feel nursing school/ being a nurse prepared you for medical school?

I am considering going down this route.
Looking for any advice for those who have previously under went the same course of action.
I completely understand that nursing school and medical school are two different animals and I don't expect medical school to be a breeze with my background.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

One more question, how was their MCAT scores. I understand getting above a 3.5 GPA AND 30 Mcat score can put you in the running but more emphasis is being placed on interviewing as well now.

Someone please chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not an MD yet, but I am a matriculating allopathic student this fall. I thought it was best to contribute something to this thread since no one has paid it any mind.

I'm not one to brag, but my GPA was pretty high. Very close to a 4.0.

The Pre reqs were fairly easy, since most of the material was covered in pre nursing classes. The only subject that I had to adjust to was physics, but there are tons of resources online. Only difference with pre med classes are that they tended to go more in depth with certain topics, compared to some pre nursing classes. My pre req GPA was also pretty high. North of 3.7.

In short, Yes! I think that the nursing experience definitely helps, and gives you certain intangibles that your pre med peers may or may not have. From what I know, your RN experience probably won't be a huge benefit during M1 & M2. But once you hit the wards in M3& M4, you'll thrive bc you know the stuff. You know how to deal with codes, rapid responses, looking at labs trends and managing patients. You know what your patient needs and your knowledge from M1& M2 would only bolster your ability on the wards. Either ways, take all that with a grain of salt. If your blessed enough to be accepted into a school, come in, be humble, and do your part. Don't take shortcuts, and expect to bust your butt and prove yourself. Your RN experience gives you an advantage, but it's up to you to decide how much of an advantage that you may have. Hope this tidbit helped. Good luck!

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not an MD yet, but I am a matriculating allopathic student this fall. I thought it was best to contribute something to this thread since no one has paid it any mind.

I'm not one to brag, but my GPA was pretty high. Very close to a 4.0.

The Pre reqs were fairly easy, since most of the material was covered in pre nursing classes. The only subject that I had to adjust to was physics, but there are tons of resources online. Only difference with pre med classes are that they tended to go more in depth with certain topics, compared to some pre nursing classes. My pre req GPA was also pretty high. North of 3.7.

In short, Yes! I think that the nursing experience definitely helps, and gives you certain intangibles that your pre med peers may or may not have. From what I know, your RN experience probably won't be a huge benefit during M1 & M2. But once you hit the wards in M3& M4, you'll thrive bc you know the stuff. You know how to deal with codes, rapid responses, looking at labs trends and managing patients. You know what your patient needs and your knowledge from M1& M2 would only bolster your ability on the wards. Either ways, take all that with a grain of salt. If your blessed enough to be accepted into a school, come in, be humble, and do your part. Don't take shortcuts, and expect to bust your butt and prove yourself. Your RN experience gives you an advantage, but it's up to you to decide how much of an advantage that you may have. Hope this tidbit helped. Good luck!

Thanks!
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for responding!! I kept waiting for someone to respond!!!

Reactions: 1 users