Roadblock help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gulliver Dark

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a lurker for a long time, but I have hit a roadblock and need some advice or assistance. I have done searches, and have lurked long enough to know that this is at least a slightly unique problem, even if it is a variation of a common theme. I realize someone recently suggested banning the word unique. Sue me.

Background: I am changing details slightly because I want to remain anonymous. I considered posting this in pre-DO because Goro frequents there and might have insight, but maybe he'll see this.

I am a military vet with deployments (part of the reason I want to be a doctor) and I now work in law enforcement. I spent my younger years a bit adrift, with some bad grades, including an F in a non BCPM but still science class and a C- in a BCPM class. I like to think military and law enforcement made me grow up, but I think I just needed a direction of studies, which I know have. I have retaken the BCPM class with an A, and there is a definite upward trend. All of the prereqs I've taken so far, 12 credits, I have gotten A's. Overall I'm sitting at like 150-160 credits and what I think is probably a 3.2-3.3 (this could be higher, I've gotten mostly A's since my freshman year but my freshman year was like a 2.5.. I'm in the process of gathering transcripts) cGPA. One problem is, though, that I have no degree, but I have around 150 credits. Some of this is due to courses the military sent me to that resulted in attained credits through no desire of my own, but at least they were all A's. The issue is, any new A's don't really bump my cGPA too much. At least my sGPA is pretty good with all A's recently, and if I count the DO formula I can retake that other class, hopefully get an A, and I'll be at 4.0 for sGPA (obviously I haven't hit ochem yet...)

I just moved to the Dallas Forth Worth area for work, which helps because I think being a Texas resident makes it slightly easier to get into medical school. I could be wrong; some of the schools I look at here have high averages. TCOM looks hard as hell for a DO school, almost as hard as the other Texas MD schools.

I have taken classes so far, and will continue to up until at least Orgo 2, Bio 2, and Physics 2 are complete, at a community college (unless there is an argument that can beat my wallets argument, since the four year schools actually do offer science classes up to ochem at night, just not after ochem). This is due to scheduling and money. I was intending to transfer to a local college and get a degree in Biochem or bio, in order to actually complete a bachelors degree and in order to take some upper level science courses. But upon research, none of the schools that I am able to go to in this area actually offer any 300 level or higher science courses after 4 pm, and I work full time. It isn't really possible for me to take classes earlier ... I might be able to get off one morning a week for a semester, but it would be difficult, as I have a very professional job that is pretty demanding.

I would ultimately prefer MD, but realize that with my lower GPA in the far past I might have to do DO - which isn't a real problem, as it still results in the same end situation. This makes me think that all community college classes would be fine, and no upper level bio or chem classes won't be a real issue. My only real problem with this situation are the following:

What do I do about a degree? Pick a random field I'm somewhat interested in that has night classes at schools around here, and get all A's? I know people say what your degree in doesn't matter, but some studies I've seen say otherwise.. and I'm not sure how much I can give to "underwater basket weaving" when I'm spending my time focused on MCAT prep...

What do I do about Biochemistry and some of the other non required but recommended MCAT 2015 classes? Biochem isn't offered at any local community colleges and it isn't offered after 4 pm at any local universities.

I do have a very flexible job but it can also be erratic and demanding, so I'm even worried about night classes, let alone getting one morning off for a single semester to take Biochem (or the 3 or 4 upper level classes a biochem degree would require at UNT).

My options at this point would seem to be some sort of online course for biochem, but I worry about schools accepting it (especially MD). I also already have transcripts from 8 schools, will be 9 or 10 by the time I'm done. Will schools look down at 11 schools I've gone to, or will the military moving me around be a good enough excuse? Adding one more for like a UNE Biochem class won't kill me, I hope?

Since I'm already writing a post about advice, I'll throw in some other random stuff: I am starting the volunteer process at a local hospital, hoping to count that as clinical time. I have horrible handwriting or I'd try to get a part time scribe job ... I remember my grandmother joking as a kid I should be a doctor because of my handwriting, but I probably shouldn't put that in a personal statement about why I want to be a doctor...

Should I try to get some research in, to help my app, or is volunteering probably enough? I've read something like 95% of MD accepted (again, I'm fine with DO, but would prefer MD) have research, though that could just be SDN crap. If I should do research, how do I go about it as a current community college undergrad with no degree and an inability to work most 9-5 m-f? Should I try to learn spanish if I want to do med school in Texas? Someone told me that was pretty much required in Texas hospitals. I speak another foreign language, but not spanish. I can probably fit it in, at least the basics, since I have 3 years before med school at this point.

(Note, I've considered quitting my job and using the GI Bill to complete a degree, but I think it probably best to save up money and use the GI Bill in med school, as I can potentially leave med school debt free if I do that.)

Anyway, I'm new, so let the flaming begin. All advice welcome. I'll field any questions, too, as I'm sure I've left stuff out. Sorry about length, yadda yadda.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd honestly start by seeing what degree you're closest to completing with all the credits you currently have. I've seen people with upwards of 200cr who don't have a degree, so you're not in that bad of a spot yet. Also, your BCPM grades will be a huge asset to you when applying, as that will look great, plus you're over the 3.0 screening a lot of schools have, so you haven't knocked yourself out of the running for MD just yet. When you get ready to take the MCAT, don't just cram, carve out study time daily for a few months before you're scheduled to take it, and take some of the soon to be old practice exams. This will be more to get familiar with what will be expected of you while taking the test, as well as the question styles that will be presented. I know the exam is changing, but I expect the style of question-writing will stay pretty close to the same as it is now.

Yes, having a full year past what you need in credits hurts the pocketbook to look at it, but the 9-10 schools are understandable when taken in context with a military career. I chose to major in Psychology because it offers me an alternate career path that I wouldn't be nearly as happy with, but at my age, I need to have back-up plans to my back-up plans.

As for where to take biochem, I'd see if the schools you're hoping to apply to would accept the coursework. Check in the school-specific threads here, the MSAR, or try calling the schools themselves. A quick search showed Biochemisty IS offered at night by University of North Texas, so I don't know where in the DFW area you live, but that was with only looking at 2 schools, so I know there are options out there.

Don't forget about shadowing, as volunteer work won't give you insight into the inner workings of a doctor's day; and since you're considering both DO and MD, I'd say to shadow both to cover your bases.

I'm not sure if I missed anything, but that should be a start. I'm sure more will comment once they're starting their days.

Thanks for the reply!

In my pre-req schedule I have about 4 months blocked off before my planned test date, April 2016, which I hope isn't too late to apply TMDSAS for 2016. I'm hoping thats good for time.

I could probably get a degree in liberal arts after taking just the minimum required credits from that school for a degree from UNT, UTD, UTA or any of the other schools around here, but I am probably closest to a degree in political science. I'll have to look around and maybe talk to a counselor or three. I worry how it would look to schools to just get a random degree, a BA in Liberal Arts, but at this point, I'm running out of options. I could quit my job and do this full time, but that will be an economic drain when I'm hoping to avoid that until medical school. If I can work until a few weeks before medical school, using the GI Bill I can leave with no debt. If I use the GI Bill now...

Biochem is offered at every school around here, but looking at the past three semesters and the next semester, it is never offered after 4pm. I work during the day, and while I might be able to get a morning off every Monday for 14 weeks, I can't really count on it. I have found this campus of Texas A&M an hour from me that has a BioChem class at 6pm, so I could leave work early, drive an hour twice a week for a semester, I guess, if I have to. It is a pretty crap option, but it might be my only one. That would add yet another transcript but I might be looking at another transcript either way.

That being said, if you found it at night, I'd love to see where... I can only find the lab at night, unless thats what you mean? All of the biochem classes are during the day, with some of the labs at night. I might be able to sneak by and take a class in the morning, but I wouldn't be able to take the upper level chem required for the BA in Biochemistry they offer specifically for pre meds.

I am planning on starting with volunteering about 4 hours a week over the next 2.5 years, on Sundays. I figure that will cover me there, and then next year when I am closer to the goal, shadowing a DO and MD for however long I need to. I have heard a lot of people have issues with that in DFW, which seems weird considering there is a pretty popular DO school nearby. I'm sure I'll be able to get at least some shadowing hours.

I'm also curious what this would do to any committee letter - UNT offers one, but if I am a random liberal arts student, and a very nontrad student, I wonder if they would resist giving me a good rec. I also wonder how I will be able to get any research in. I was hoping to take one of the classes that offers research, but again they look mostly during the day. Maybe research isn't as important as I'm making it to be in my head.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered doing your biochem online with the University of New England's Extension program? You can always check with the schools you're looking at to see if they'll accept it.

As for your test date, I would imagine the interview season for 2016 would already be over by the time you take the MCAT . . . unless you meant for the 2016-17 interview season, in which case you'll be fine. You'll be able to start your application May 1, and your April test date will come out a month later, so you should be synced up just fine.

And I'm 100% with you on saving the GI bill for medical school, especially with the new bill going into effect Aug 2015 giving you in-state tuition rates at all schools where you use it. It stings in the meanwhile, but I know it will all be worth it come application season and it's time to not pay the student loans. :soexcited:

Yeah, I mean the 2016-2017 interview season. Starting Med School fall 2017.

I have looked into it - I guess I'll have to ask around at the Texas med schools and see (and the out of state ones I am interested in, which is pretty much anywhere I can get in, I'm used to moving). I have read some other threads with mixed reviews, but it might be the only option.

Yeah, the GI Bill is an awesome deal, I'm pretty excited about the potential to leave medical school debt free.

Any thoughts on research? I figure ~200 hours volunteering and ~50 shadowing should cover it, but I am not sure if I can/if I need to do any research to go to a mid to low tier MD school. Either way, I am fine with going to a DO school. That being said TCOM's stats seem to be pretty darn high, I think I've read a few places where they were higher than some of the newer TX MD schools. I am willing to move, though, so that doesn't really matter.

First off, many thanks to you for your service to our country. TX is probably the best place to be for a pre-med with a military background.

Have you calculated your GPAs via AACOMAS schema? I suggest that if you haven't done so already, that you retake any F/D/C science coursework. Grade replacement does wonders for the GPA.

You have been given some good advice above about finishing your degree.

Plenty of research venues at UTSW, or TCOM, depending upon where you live in the Metroplex. But keep in mind that because you're a non-trad, research is less of an issue, unless you're applying to some of the powerhouses, like Yale or Wash U.

I think you'll have pretty good luck with all the TX schools. And have some Sonny Bryan's for me, will ya? Best barbeque I ever had.

Yeah, I mean the 2016-2017 interview season. Starting Med School fall 2017.

I have looked into it - I guess I'll have to ask around at the Texas med schools and see (and the out of state ones I am interested in, which is pretty much anywhere I can get in, I'm used to moving). I have read some other threads with mixed reviews, but it might be the only option.

Yeah, the GI Bill is an awesome deal, I'm pretty excited about the potential to leave medical school debt free.

Any thoughts on research? I figure ~200 hours volunteering and ~50 shadowing should cover it, but I am not sure if I can/if I need to do any research to go to a mid to low tier MD school. Either way, I am fine with going to a DO school. That being said TCOM's stats seem to be pretty darn high, I think I've read a few places where they were higher than some of the newer TX MD schools. I am willing to move, though, so that doesn't really matter.

Goro, thanks for responding. I haven't been to Sonny Bryan's - I just got here when my job transferred me - but I'll have to check it out. There are a couple near me.

I guess it was kind of lucky I got moved here - I only came here a few times for short periods when I was in the military, and never really considered it. They seem to have a very heavy in state bias here, and its great to hear they like vets. Actually, I've been impressed with how much I've heard being a vet (and even now seeing law enforcement stuff) helps.

I retook the pre-req course that I had a C- in. I got an A in that (and all other prereqs so far). I have a non BCPM class I got an F in, but I'll retake it anyway because that will help for DO. If that doesn't cut me out, I've got a pretty good explanation - for that and most of my younger days with poor grades. Going to school full time while working full time in the military, meaning more than 40 hours, was a bad, bad idea with no clue of what I wanted to do and no clue how to approach college. Oh, to be 18 again.

Alright, a recap/plan (I like plans, and parentheses apparently):
1) Degree doesn't matter, finish whatever is most convenient - likely just a BA in Liberal Arts or Poli Sci.
2) Take biochem (MCAT 2015) wherever, check if online schools will be accepted where I want to go (TX Schools)
3) Volunteer (~200 hours) and find a few docs to shadow, both DO and MD
4) Research isn't super important, but maybe try UTSW or TCOM (I could care less about top tier, I'll be happy to get into any medical school, but would prefer MD, not out of bias but mostly because I have already had to explain DO to people and I'm barely a premed.. and even though I don't know what speciality I'll go into, I know MD will make things a bit easier if I decide something super competitive)
5) Calculate GPA (I have all of my transcripts on order when I sent them to a local school, so I can compile them all and figure out MD/DO stats.)
6) And of course, continue to get A's or at least do well in prereqs. Study for the terrifying 2015 MCAT, which also requires me to retake Psych and Sociology (it has been too long for me to rely on my knowledge from almost ten years ago since they'll be on the test)

You don't think having most or all of my prereqs at a community college will be bad if I'm unable to take any higher level science at a four year school? That is the solution I've seen most often.

Last edited: