Rochester vs Jefferson vs BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reh0094

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all! I'm having a hard time deciding between these three and would appreciate any feedback. here are some of my thoughts so far-

Jefferson- did undergrad in Philly and know/love the city. Less research $ than the others and ranks lower. Students seem very happy

BU- would be totally new to Boston, but value an urban environment as I grew up in NYC. I know a lot less about this school and had a harder time getting a sense. i'm interested in working with underserved populations/possibly getting an MPH, so this would be a good choice for that

Rochester- would be a change from Philly/NYC but have a lot of extended family here and am connected to some extent to the medical school. students seem the happiest, but not sure I'd do well in a more suburban environment. Plus, no recording of lectures and it seems like there is more class time

Cost would be about the same for each, with lower cost of living in Rochester

Went to second look for Rochester/BU and loved both! any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Not to discourage you, because I love the city, but the cost of living in Boston is MUCH higher than Philly.

Sounds like you definitely prefer the urban environment. That + Rochester not having recorded lectures and being ridiculously cold would rule it out for me.

I loved BU when I interviewed there. Given your interest in underserved populations, the Boston Medical Center would be right up your alley. Although Im biased as a native Bostonian, I genuinely love this city and I think most people do as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about rank between Jefferson and BU. Also, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to scope out research opportunities at either place. I think at the end of the day, you need to consider location and $$$. Is experiencing a new city environment important to you? COL in Boston is significantly higher.