Rochester vs. Rutgers RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiring_doc2001

Reaction score
Rochester
Pros
  • Liberal arts based curriculum could be interesting, and I am very drawn towards their biopsychosocial model
  • Much higher amount of matches to CA residencies, as I would like to end up there for residency
  • Higher ranked as a research institution, and seems to have a better match rate for specialties I'm interested in (Derm, Neurology)
  • Higher match rate overall at 99%
  • Seems to be slightly more prestigious as a medical school? (I could be wrong!)
  • Medical Education Pathway and other pathways seem very interesting

Cons
  • More expensive, I'll get some financial aid, but COA will still be about 64,000 a year
  • Farther from home, since I'm a NJ resident and my family is there
  • Don't have my driver's license yet, so I would need to live close to the school and figure all that out before the spring

Rutgers RWJ
Pros
  • Close to home and my family! I live about a 28 minute drive away
  • Would live at home, so save quite a bit. I also received a 10,000 a year scholarship from them, so COA would be closer to 40,000 a year
  • Seems that the general vibe is very conducive to student mental health and wellbeing, and I think academically I would do well here

Cons
  • Not actually sure if living at home is a great idea, seems a bit stifling to my independence
  • Match rate to CA seems very low (small handful of people only)
  • Match rate for dermatology and neurology seems lower than at Rochester
  • Not sure how much I would be prepared for Step 1/2 compared to at Rochester

Summary: I was recently accepted off the waitlist for Rochester and I need to give them a decision soon but I'm struggling to make my decision. Any input would be much welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

The people attending RWJ are in-state or from neighboring area. They likely want to stay in the Northeast for residency instead of moving across the country.

Living at home can be a nice plus since you don't have to worry about roommates. Not all the chores and errands are on your shoulders to do either.