Rohto V???

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ferny10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do optometrists think of Rohto V?

hypromellose 0.2%
tetrahydrozoline HCL 0.05%
zinc sulfate 0.25%

boric acid, edetate disodium, MENTHOL, plolysorbate 80, purified water, sodium borate

Members don't see this ad.

hypromellose 0.2%
zinc sulfate 0.25%

boric acid, edetate disodium, MENTHOL, plolysorbate 80, purified water, sodium borate

What do we think of it?

It's a "get the red out" drug. Tetrahydrozoline is a vasoconstrictor which will constrict the blood vessels in the conjunctiva, reducing the appearance of redness. However if used for a prolonged period it will cause rebound vasodilation when you stop taking it.

I always tell my patients to avoid anything that says "get the red out." It doesn't help the underlying condition (usually dry eye) and in fact will make the problem worse long term.

In reality it's ok to use once in a while (like before an interview if you didn't sleep well or something) but not long-term.

I'd like all the "get the red out" crap to be Rx only. The side effects of overuse are significant. I had a patient that was miserable and I had to wean off.

Plus it covers up the true cause.

Members don't see this ad :)

hypromellose 0.2%
zinc sulfate 0.25%

Hmm, I really don't think I'd like having menthol in my eye, but I guess some people think it feels cooling.

I think it feels very drying.

hypromellose 0.2%
zinc sulfate 0.25%

for a second there i thought you typed RHOHYPNOL! hahaha

the pharm prof for my school loved talking about that drug! :laugh:

It's garbage pretending to be medicine in one of the coolest bottles on the market.

What is considered overuse? I've always wanted to try them but the menthol scares me to death. Will it damage your cornea or sclera? Boric acid???

What is considered overuse? I've always wanted to try them but the menthol scares me to death. Will it damage your cornea or sclera? Boric acid???

Once in a while won't kill you. Heck, I put hydrogen peroxide in my eye twice and I am fine. You think I would learn how to use AO Sept a little faster than that (I was in middle school at the time).

I tell my patients the same thing that was said earlier. If you have an interview and were out a little late the night before...fine, but don't use it often.

I've actually used that drop before, it BURNS! I hate most combo drugs like this one, has a million ingredients but in reality all you need would be a alpha agonist (like the tetrahydralazine, naphazoline, etc).

i've used rohto ice for a couple years now and it works great. says astringent/lubricant/redness reliever. they get the red out when needed. but they also burn like hell. like a cool menthol burn feeling. if you have a taste for it, it's actually kinda soothing. it works perfect for my allergies. that cool burn feeling is the best you can get if your eyes are itchy. it's like the burn itches your eyes for you then goes away. be ready for the drops though, they are powerful. i dont use them everyday but they are safe. they never caused me any kind of eye damage or anything like that. dont let it scare you. if it was bad for you, it wouldnt be on the market and if it is then there will be lawsuits. but its probably not meant for long term use. i know any kind of eye drops can cause minor and temporary problems with any kind of long term use. dont be scared of it, its just another kind of eye drop. i wouldnt let younger kids use it though. that cool burn feel may scare them cause it does hurt for several seconds. but like i said, feels great for people like me with allergies and itchy eyes.

I've actually used that drop before, it BURNS! I hate most combo drugs like this one, has a million ingredients but in reality all you need would be a alpha agonist (like the tetrahydralazine, naphazoline, etc).

Isn't a topical alpha agonist a glaucoma med?

they also work good for getting the red out if you need a cover up for getting stoned lol. i recommend them to all my medical marijuana patients.

Isn't a topical alpha agonist a glaucoma med?

Yeah, but you're thinking alpha 2 agonist, MOA via ciliary body... Tetrahydrozoline in Rohto V is an alpha 1 agonist --> vasoconstrictor.