ROL dilemna - HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tensunit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am almost done with interviews and trying to figure out what my ROL is going to be.

It seems that at most programs, the procedure numbers for bread and butter cases are more than enough. It felt like to me that many applicants these days are worried about exposure to implantable devices, and verterbral augmentation.

On the contrary, I don't see myself implanting many devices. (perhaps SCS trials?)

I don't see the OR being any significant part of my future practice.That being said, I have the opportunity to rank some places that perform heavy volume for all pain procedures including pumps, stim, vertebral plasty, etc

I am nervous to not rank of these programs high, on the off chance that half way through my fellowship year I will wish that I had more exposure to them. It also seems that much of the field is going in this direction. OTOH, I don't want to spend what precious time I have as a fellow thinking about neuromodulation when I don't see myself practicing in this way - at least now.

As an example.

I am excited about Stanford, BWH, BID, and the Cleveland Clinic.

from the rumors, the procedural experience at stanford is not quite as robust. (Can anyone here comment on numbers with cervical/thoracic/lumbar injections?) but, their interdisciplinary components are very strong, as well as research. I was impressed by their staff, and how well their comprehensive pain program was put together.

Cleveland clinic, BID, and BWH have a much more interventional focus.

I am considering an academic career. I could get an academic job from any of these programs, but perhaps there is an edge to Stanford. procedurely, I would like to be confident with basic spine procedures. Also, geographically I am more inclined to go west.

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I would rank Stanford highly just because I really like the place. I would rather get a epidural steroid injection in my eye than live in Boston or Cleveland.

Just from the very little you wrote here, it sounds like you want Stanford. Don't talk yourself out of it.

if the bread and butter is confirmed to be sufficient at all the programs on your list, i would personally go where people will feel the most prepared to work in different settings whether it is academic or private practice and ensure that you will cover enough bases for pain management from all aspects whether interventional, pharmacological, cognitive-based therapies, rehab-exercise based management, reasonable clinical exposure and working with someone who does a good comprehensive pain evaluation from various backgrounds, etc.