Romney or Obama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazers

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's more than one factor in choosing who to vote for but in terms of which candidate is most beneficial to our field, who is it and why?

Members don't see this ad.

1. I do not discuss politics with anybody outside of my direct family.
2. I do not advertise my political views to anybody (no bumper stickers, yard signs, Facebook status updates, etc.).
3. I have become a political nihilist over the years and though I still vote, I harbor no illusions that both major parties have failed our country.

When I was in high school, undergrad, and medical school (to a limited extent) I was a bit more political. However, I find that the increasing extremism in this country makes it much more likely that you will offend people (whom you would otherwise have a cordial relationship with) than convince them that you are correct.

The only political commentary I feel comfortable dispensing is donate to the ASTRO PAC. Money talks.

I leave with you with Dr. Doze's Avatar.

destructor.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not as politically jaded as Gfunk, and I do believe, despite the display of hyper-partisanship on both sides of the aisle, that DC can and does get things done. And BOTH parties have substantive ideas and policies they have put in place.

That all being said, I'll refrain from voicing my own views because, as lazers said, this election is about much more than who is good for rad onc (and its, frankly, difficult to answer that question objectively because it does come down to your values, economic and health policy beliefs, etc a bit). Instead, I'll repeat what Gfunk has said. DONATE TO ASTRO PAC.

And furthermore, stay updated with what's happening in your state and in DC, and write to your members of congress about issues relevant to radiation oncology. Personal patient stories and direct constituent contact either via email, mail, or phone makes a TREMENDOUS difference.

For a more detailed look into both candidates views on health care policy, look at the recent articles in the past 2 months in both JAMA and NEJM

I only support a few PACs; the ASTRO PAC and

wolfpack-back.jpg

and of course

2pac_5_wallpaper.jpg