Ron Paul proposes the Treat Physicians Fairly Act

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaydubz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check out this piece of legislation he introduced, titled the "Treat Physicians Fairly Act."

http://www.reasontofreedom.com/treat_physicians_fairly_act_by_us_rep_ron_paul.html

Yep, Ron Paul, who just doubled his 2nd quarter fundraising total to 5 million dollars, most of which from individual online donations. For a supposed "fringe" candidate, raising just as much as McCain and half as much as Giuliani and Romney is not too shabby.

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea, but bad for his candidacy.

Seeing him back up his fellow physicians will be seen as "helping out all those fat cat doctors" and come back to bite him.

The reasons I support Ron Paul range from foreign policy to fiscal responsibility to civil liberties to the fact that he is the most honest politician in Washington. I just brought this up because I thought it'd be interesting to pre-meds and pertinent to the issue of hospital expenditures.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Treat Physicians Fairly Act does not remove any of EMTALA’s mandates; it simply provides that physicians can receive a tax credit for the costs of providing uncompensated care.

Makes sense, since you get tax credits for donating money to causes...why not get them for donating your time?

Check out this piece of legislation he introduced, titled the "Treat Physicians Fairly Act."

http://www.reasontofreedom.com/treat_physicians_fairly_act_by_us_rep_ron_paul.html

Yep, Ron Paul, who just doubled his 2nd quarter fundraising total to 5 million dollars, most of which from individual online donations. For a supposed "fringe" candidate, raising just as much as McCain and half as much as Giuliani and Romney is not too shabby.

Awesome! Thank you so much for posting this! This is exactly the type of information we pre-meds should share in these forums. Thanks Kaydubz! :)

Awesome! Thank you so much for posting this! This is exactly the type of information we pre-meds should share in these forums. Thanks Kaydubz! :)

Seriously, there are 33,900 active members on SDN (I am not sure what signifies an active member) but if every one of those people wrote their house representative, and two senators, it would help a lot, I am sure... Plus if the AMA got behind it and the hospital industry (which is huge) it might get some serious traction...

Seriously, there are 33,900 active members on SDN (I am not sure what signifies an active member) but if every one of those people wrote their house representative, and two senators, it would help a lot, I am sure... Plus if the AMA got behind it and the hospital industry (which is huge) it might get some serious traction...

Good call, premeddick.

If anyone is so inclined, you can contact your House Reps here:
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/cities/gb/

And you can contact your Senators here:
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm?OrderBy=state&Sort=ASC

Happy politicking! :D

i like this bill! too bad ron paul's isolationist beliefs are a big turn-off to most people including myself.

i like this bill! too bad ron paul's isolationist beliefs are a big turn-off to most people including myself.
Just FYI, Paul is the farthest thing from an isolationist that anyone can possibly be. He's a free-marketer, and free-marketers believe in trade and communication with all nations-- he just isn't so into invading those nations.

Here's an interview with Wolf Blitzer where Paul explains that he's not an isolationist in his own words:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQGCVb89uDo[/YOUTUBE]

People often call him "isolationist," but the correct description is "non-interventionist" which is far different.

Ron Paul explains in this interview with CNN:

"An isolationist doesn't like to deal with the world. I am a non-interventionist, which is quite different. I want to trade with people, I want to talk with people, I want to negotiate with them, I want to travel and communicate. I wanted to do in Vietnam what we're doing today. You know, we trade and they come back and forth, the president comes here. I didn't want the armies to go in there and try and impose our will. So, a big different between that and isolation."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpUKcBAQ_4Y&mode=user&search=

Edit: Scutty got to it before I did. But I put it in writing!

This discussion would be better suited for Topics in Healthcare.

Moving.

Thanks for destroying another thread.

Yes, another forum where the front page extends back to September 6th. I like how Hillary Rodham Clinton's Universal Health Care thread is allowed to go 7+ pages, yet this bill which pertains even more directly to physicians and physicians to be is not allowed to go 11 posts. Have a lot of free time, or perhaps you like Giuliani or Hillary? If that were the case, it'd even be understandable!

Hillary Rodham Clinton's Universal Health Care thread is allowed to go 7+ pages, yet this bill which pertains even more directly to physicians and physicians to be is not allowed to go 11 posts.
I must agree that if you're going to bounce this thread, you really ought to bounce the Hillary Thread, as well.

This discussion would be better suited for Topics in Healthcare.

Moving.

Dude, I know you. Move the Hillary thread too or come Tuesday, I'll totally sit in your seat!

Dude, I know you. Move the Hillary thread too or come Tuesday, I'll totally sit in your seat!

Better yet, let them BOTH stay. They are both lively discussions.

Ahh come on.

Perhaps you all ought to just come by this forum more often to keep it lively;)

In all seriousness, I wish Ron Paul had any chance of actually winning, because he is one of the few true free market political candidates in public office. He's a borderline libertarian and is genuinely unafraid to vote against legislation with which he disagrees. This has lead to more than 1 400 and change to 1 vote in the house, with Ron Paul being the only dissent. If all of the other candidates make you want to vomit, he's definitely a different alternative, especially on the economic issues. As of right now, ALL of the front runners are economic liberals from large northern cities in BOTH parties.

People like Ron Paul. Unfortunately the media does not. The media plays up the fact that he leans toward the libertarian side. Most people only know Republican/Democrat, so Libertarian is unknown and the unknown is scary. :scared: The media avoids discussing his views on the problems affecting our country. Since Americans are lazy sheep, we tend to just follow what other people tell us and not take the time to seek out the information for ourselves. When I tell people (Democrats and Republicans both) to read up on Paul, they come back and say "wow, he's awesome!"

This election seems like - pick your poison...or pick Ron Paul. He is what our country needs right now. My politics don't line up with his exactly, but I truly feel he is the only candidate who can get this country back on its feet and keep us from getting into greater trouble in the coming years.

I agree that moving threads to this graveyard of a forum kills them. Why not keep some discussions like this going in other forums?

Must pre-med be filled only with "WHAT R MY CHANCES LOL" threads?

Ahh come on.

Perhaps you all ought to just come by this forum more often to keep it lively;)

In all seriousness, I wish Ron Paul had any chance of actually winning, because he is one of the few true free market political candidates in public office. He's a borderline libertarian and is genuinely unafraid to vote against legislation with which he disagrees. This has lead to more than 1 400 and change to 1 vote in the house, with Ron Paul being the only dissent. If all of the other candidates make you want to vomit, he's definitely a different alternative, especially on the economic issues. As of right now, ALL of the front runners are economic liberals from large northern cities in BOTH parties.

He does have a chance of winning. He raised 5 million last quarter, and he is getting more and more support every day. After that 5 million, he has started showing up on national media. although they are hard on him. He has a huge amount of supporters on youtube and in his meetup groups. And, unlike Hillary and others, he doesn't accept money from special interest groups - that 5 million came from individuals, with an average donation of $40 each. He has popular support, and it's growing. The worst thing you can do is discourage people from supporting him, "because he doesn't have a chance". His goal is 12 million by the new year, and I think he'll make it.

He does have a chance of winning. He raised 5 million last quarter, and he is getting more and more support every day. After that 5 million, he has started showing up on national media. although they are hard on him. He has a huge amount of supporters on youtube and in his meetup groups. And, unlike Hillary and others, he doesn't accept money from special interest groups - that 5 million came from individuals, with an average donation of $40 each. He has popular support, and it's growing. The worst thing you can do is discourage people from supporting him, "because he doesn't have a chance". His goal is 12 million by the new year, and I think he'll make it.

If he makes it out of the primary, he'll probably get my vote for the presidency.