Roosevelt University College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmgrlnxdor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, today was the last day of the first summer semester for the inaugural class for Roosevelt University's College of Pharmacy. I took a look at their schedule for the first year.

Here is the link. http://www.roosevelt.edu/Pharmacy/Curriculum.aspx

This schedule looks massively brutal to me. I am posting this to see if any of the current students, who have not passed out completely dead from exhaustion, have some feedback about how their classes are going?

So speak up Roosevelt COPers. How was the first semester. Have you had any drops yet? Do you think the pace is reasonable or just freaking crazy?

Members don't see this ad.

So, today was the last day of the first summer semester for the inaugural class for Roosevelt University's College of Pharmacy. I took a look at their schedule for the first year.

This schedule looks massively brutal to me. I am posting this to see if any of the current students, who have not passed out completely dead from exhaustion, have some feedback about how their classes are going?

So speak up Roosevelt COPers. How was the first semester. Have you had any drops yet? Do you think the pace is reasonable or just freaking crazy?

Yeah looks rough. You and the rest of your class should go ahead and drop out.

Looks pretty average to me.

The way that the curriculum is presented may make it seem like a lot, but it's a 3 year program, so they get an extra summer session each year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with some of their students at their last info session and then sat in on a class the following week. They seemed to agree that the summer term was fast and furious (intense) but manageable... they said the worst was mid-terms and around finals. Then again why wouldn't school be more intense around those times. They said that the fall term was more laid back. They only are in classes Monday -Thursday in fall and started IPPEs on Fridays. One said that she new it would be busy because it was a 3-year program... so i guess you have to go in expecting it to be hard/brutal.
At the info session they said they had no drops and that everyone had passed.

OK, I know this is totally off topic, but... Why did Rooseveldt feel its best representation would be a kid trying to (apparently) fall face first into a concrete-lined hole? I'm sure he's skateboarding or something, but seriously.

It doesn't appear wildly different from the P1 curriculum at my school - and we are 4 years.

They should say good luck finding a job in the Chicago or Milwaukee areas.

Forget about jobs..good luck getting rotation sites. I get a desperate phone call or e-mail from them every week soliciting for preceptors. Turns out none of the hospitals want to take their students.

Yeah, that school's a joke, do they offer to pay you for taking them?

Forget about jobs..good luck getting rotation sites. I get a desperate phone call or e-mail from them every week soliciting for preceptors. Turns out none of the hospitals want to take their students.

It doesn't help that there are already five other pharmacy schools in the state.

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the process of going through the whole application process and like to read about what people think about different pharmacy schools. I did get an invite to interview at Roosevelt. Can I ask why the school is considered a 'joke'? Is it because it's new? And if that's the case, aren't all schools judged like that when they first open? Or is the school in general just bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its a 'joke' because its a new school that only opened up after a bunch of people realized all they had to do was create a school of pharmacy and they would become rich. They are promising students a 100k per year job after graduation, when that is really not the case. All these students are going to spend massive amounts of money trying to obtain a PharmD in 3 years, and after they graduate, only a fraction will have a job, and all will have a lot of debt.

I know like a little while ago there was like 80 or 90 pharmacy schools, then this pharmacy boom and all of a sudden 20 to 30 (or more?) schools pop up out of no where year after year.

These schools (at least I would think the administration and the people luring in the kids) don't care about the students at all. All they care about is the money they make from your 40k tuition a year. Maybe the clinical faculty care, but I doubt anyone else does.

In this economy and with such a degree of saturation in our field, why are people still pursing pharmacy? I tell everyone not to bother, there are no jobs, at least where I am in NYC/NJ/CT area.

This school is a joke because it was opened to make the college rich. Roosevelt has no ties to health sciences...it is mostly a liberal arts college (and not a very good one at that). They opened in a metro area that already has 4 other colleges of pharmacy and now they can't get preceptors to take their students. The tuition they are asking is very high, the faculty is not very established (many are fresh out of residency with no teaching experience). If you want to shell out this kind of money and stay in Chicago go to Midwestern, or at least Rosalind Franklin if you can't get into MWU.

Just being new doesn't make it a joke...there are some new schools that are good and these were mentioned in another thread.

What's the PCAT / GPA Average?

my general observation

both from my experience and talking to students on site

these fast curriculum programs arent as hard as they seem: sure you may have a lot of tests in a short span, but the professors tip you off on what is on the exam to ease your burden, and hence people pass...i used to have 1 professor who would tell us which 4 slides to know for exam questions out of the 40 slide set...and as a rph when i have students from different schools come, i hear similar stories

so I dont buy that 3 yr programs are harder or more rougher

OK, I know this is totally off topic, but... Why did Rooseveldt feel its best representation would be a kid trying to (apparently) fall face first into a concrete-lined hole? I'm sure he's skateboarding or something, but seriously.

Not sure if this is directed at me... but I'm certainly not a kid. I fully understand the risk of not finding a job after I complete school, going to a new school, and paying a lot to do it. I've sold pharmaceutics for 10 years and understand the risk involved. I've taken a long time to decide that this field is what I want to be in. Maybe some of the doubters need to visit this program before judging it. I've applied to UIC, CCP, Roseman, U of P, and Roosevelt. I'll take my chances. :cool:

I think Roosevelt University is really good with all the great faculties.. I went there for open house and met with some pharmacy students there... They are really happy with their classes even they had some stress during the exams. That's normal even in undergrad. I heard the faculties are really good to schedule with their exams and presentations to reduce stressful for their students. Also they also provided the entertainment center for students. I think this is the great school and I will try to apply in this school next coming year...

Both Rosalind Franklin and Roosevelt U have put ads in the Pharmacy Society of Wisconsin magazine advertising for preceptors. I have gotten postcards in the mail from said schools asking to be a preceptor. Nevermind in Wisconsin, I can't be one yet because I haven't worked long enough.

Both Rosalind Franklin and Roosevelt U have put ads in the Pharmacy Society of Wisconsin magazine advertising for preceptors. I have gotten postcards in the mail from said schools asking to be a preceptor. Nevermind in Wisconsin, I can't be one yet because I haven't worked long enough.

How much are they willing to pay preceptors?

Not here to argue with anyone, just here to answer questions and tell you how it is here.
The pace of the program is intense but its manageable like what someone said earlier. What do you expect out of a professional program. If it was easy why would it be a professional program?
Tuition is over 40k... to me coming from California... our 3 year programs are over 60k and all except 1 program is over 40k for 4 years... so 120k for tuition is nothing compared to 160k. If money is the issue.. I looked up Midwestern and Rosalind Franklin's tuition. They are 32k and 28k respectively. Multiply both of those by 4... about 120k and 110k... so a difference of nothing and 10k but an extra year of studies... So if tuition is a complaint... doesn't make sense. Also take into consideration of finishing 1 year earlier which = 1 year of salary and if the market is saturated already... a year longer would = more saturation...
Next the school is a joke...if you read the bio of our Dean at http://www.roosevelt.edu/Pharmacy/Dean/Bio.aspx , you can see he is not new to the pharmacy field nor is he new at establishing a program. Go check the rest of our faculty and see how many are not qualified. Just because we are new does not mean we are a joke nor does it mean that the University is in it for the money. Talk to one of the students or faculty and find out how we like it.
Preceptor issue... We are doing our IPPE's right now and none of us are having a problem with it. We all have locations and every student I have talked to so far has enjoyed their IPPE and their pharmacist enjoys us. If your on the fence about our skills, about half of us have worked in a pharmacy as a technician and as for me, I am pretty sure my pharmacist who recently graduated from a local Illinois pharmacy school has been impressed with my knowledge and work ethics. You'll never know until you give us a shot. We are no different than other student pharmacists at other universities or even yourself when you started your program.
What I like about Roosevelt, its 66 people... not a bunch of people in a building where the professors won't even know your absent. Every professor who has taught us knows each one of the students and we know our professors. We work in a group setting and communicate in tons of presentations each term. As a result, we are all personable which is great for future patients to know that we are not pharmacists who are quiet and shy around patients.
I got accepted to a couple other pharm programs but am glad I went to Roosevelt. If I had the chance to change my mind, I'd still be here at Roosevelt.

Not here to argue with anyone, just here to answer questions and tell you how it is here.
The pace of the program is intense but its manageable like what someone said earlier. What do you expect out of a professional program. If it was easy why would it be a professional program?
Tuition is over 40k... to me coming from California... our 3 year programs are over 60k and all except 1 program is over 40k for 4 years... so 120k for tuition is nothing compared to 160k. If money is the issue.. I looked up Midwestern and Rosalind Franklin's tuition. They are 32k and 28k respectively. Multiply both of those by 4... about 120k and 110k... so a difference of nothing and 10k but an extra year of studies... So if tuition is a complaint... doesn't make sense. Also take into consideration of finishing 1 year earlier which = 1 year of salary and if the market is saturated already... a year longer would = more saturation...
Next the school is a joke...if you read the bio of our Dean at http://www.roosevelt.edu/Pharmacy/Dean/Bio.aspx , you can see he is not new to the pharmacy field nor is he new at establishing a program. Go check the rest of our faculty and see how many are not qualified. Just because we are new does not mean we are a joke nor does it mean that the University is in it for the money. Talk to one of the students or faculty and find out how we like it.
Preceptor issue... We are doing our IPPE's right now and none of us are having a problem with it. We all have locations and every student I have talked to so far has enjoyed their IPPE and their pharmacist enjoys us. If your on the fence about our skills, about half of us have worked in a pharmacy as a technician and as for me, I am pretty sure my pharmacist who recently graduated from a local Illinois pharmacy school has been impressed with my knowledge and work ethics. You'll never know until you give us a shot. We are no different than other student pharmacists at other universities or even yourself when you started your program.
What I like about Roosevelt, its 66 people... not a bunch of people in a building where the professors won't even know your absent. Every professor who has taught us knows each one of the students and we know our professors. We work in a group setting and communicate in tons of presentations each term. As a result, we are all personable which is great for future patients to know that we are not pharmacists who are quiet and shy around patients.
I got accepted to a couple other pharm programs but am glad I went to Roosevelt. If I had the chance to change my mind, I'd still be here at Roosevelt.

So if you had a chance to change your mind again, never mind the new school, you will rather pick spending 20 000+ a year because it is "Roosevelt" than chose a cheaper school. Please don't come to Michigan once you cant get a job in Illinois.
This proves the fact that these new schools are taking the left overs of the application pool.

Release the hounds...

:corny::corny::corny::corny:

I'm saying that I am happy with being at Roosevelt. Pretty sure that's what is implied with my comment. And I'm also pretty sure I said I got into other pharmacy schools and choose Roosevelt over the others. Not sure how that implies that Roosevelt takes "left overs" if I declined the other schools. And do I care about the cost? Not really because like I said before...finishing in 3 years compared to 4 which means 1 extra year of salary would counter that difference pretty quickly and you figure that would be another year of expenses such as rent, textbooks, etc. But what do I know. I'm a left over I guess

Reactions: 1 user
I'm saying that I am happy with being at Roosevelt. Pretty sure that's what is implied with my comment. And I'm also pretty sure I said I got into other pharmacy schools and choose Roosevelt over the others. Not sure how that implies that Roosevelt takes "left overs" if I declined the other schools. And do I care about the cost? Not really because like I said before...finishing in 3 years compared to 4 which means 1 extra year of salary would counter that difference pretty quickly and you figure that would be another year of expenses such as rent, textbooks, etc. But what do I know. I'm a left over I guess

What other schools did you get into?

Roosevelt may have 66 students now, but their plan is to increase the class size to closer to 200. Dr MacKinnon has reputation of being a pharmacy sleazeball.

And let me guess their mission statement says something about providing pharmacy care to meet the needs of rural areas in their state. And let me guess all you students there plan to stay in those rural areas and not ever dilute already saturated markets...

What other schools did you get into?

Roosevelt may have 66 students now, but their plan is to increase the class size to closer to 200. Dr MacKinnon has reputation of being a pharmacy sleazeball.

University of the Pacific, even though it's a 3 year program, cost a ton more.
Creighton and Regis. Pretty sure those schools are not that bad.

I think there is a misunderstanding about 200. I believe they mean close to 200 students total, as 66-68 students per class. Hope that clarifies that part.

And as for jobs, I got one ready for me back in CA when I am done. So not worried about that at all.

And Hello 2011 quite funny how you posted a comment back then about Why can't anyone start a thread that encourages positive posts? and the whole i'd rather finish in 3 years to make an extra 100k and yet criticism is all I read on your comments. Got to love hypocrites.

Reactions: 1 user
I am considering Roosevelt University's college of Pharmacy and would like to hear about it from current students. How has your experience been so far? Are the professors good? How's the level of education? How have your Practical Experiences been? Does it feel like a new school? Is there anything you do not like about the program? I have been accepted to MWU as well, but I prefer Roosevelt since it is shorter and closer to home. I would appreciate any answers and additional info. Thanks!

$42,000 x 3 = $126,000. That's more than what I paid for tuition, room, books, food for four years. It's a raw deal if you are from Illinois.

Wow, $126,000 for 3 years in tuition alone!

Pharmacy schools where I am from costs roughly $50,000-$60,000 in tuition for 4 years.
Even if I were to account for room, food, books, etc., I would not even get anywhere close to $126,000.

Talk about loan repayment bubbles!