This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoyallyMedical

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I've recently been accepted to Ross University for the September 2019 term. I know that RUSM recently moved from the island of Dominica to the island of Barbados. It is hard to find info about RUSM that is not about student life in Dominica. So I would really appreciate it if any current RUSM students living in Barbados can give me some insight into what student life is like there. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@Migos Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. The housing situation sounds like a living nightmare ! (Mice and bats ?! ) Hopefully, these problems will be resolved by the time I get there. It's nice to know that the school is actively trying to accommodate the students to the best of their ability.

Last edited:
@Migos Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. The housing situation sounds like a living nightmare ! (Mice and bats ?! ) Hopefully, these problems will be resolved by the time I get there. It's nice to know that the school is actively trying to accommodate the students to the best of their ability.

Yeah its far from perfect, but its manageable. I'm sure they'll have everything in place by the time you start in september. It is a new place so I would understand that things are far from perfect, and they had to make it ready for us in 4 months which isnt alot of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
They expect you to act like adults but treat you like a kid. You cannot move out and are stuck with roommates in the small house even though there is mold everywhere and your roommates trash is thrown everywhere. If you complain to housing they tell you cleanliness is subjective. Thank god they kick you out of your houses every semester for their convenience to fill every room so you have to walk with all your luggage to a new place in coverley. Exemptions are not given even if you have a medical reason. They charge 4 times the amount for housing compared to living elsewhere on the island. The exams ask you extremely specific detail that is in the bottom of a slide that wasn't discussed in lecture, so if you try to study for COMP and STEP you shoot yourself in the foot because you usually fail exams studying the important concepts. If you fail twice you're kicked out with massive debt. They show you high percentages for STEP because only 20 percent of first semesters make it past COMP. My only motivation is too keep scraping by to get out of living in Coverley and actually enjoy studying medicine. They will make you live in filth with concrete floors and still make you pay 1200US a month for a shared house with 3 other students+charge electricity separately. I can continue bashing ROSS but they did give me the opportunity to gamble a quarter million dollars with my future to become a doctor.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
They expect you to act like adults but treat you like a kid. You cannot move out and are stuck with roommates in the small house even though there is mold everywhere and your roommates trash is thrown everywhere. If you complain to housing they tell you cleanliness is subjective. Thank god they kick you out of your houses every semester for their convenience to fill every room so you have to walk with all your luggage to a new place in coverley. Exemptions are not given even if you have a medical reason. They charge 4 times the amount for housing compared to living elsewhere on the island. The exams ask you extremely specific detail that is in the bottom of a slide that wasn't discussed in lecture, so if you try to study for COMP and STEP you shoot yourself in the foot because you usually fail exams studying the important concepts. If you fail twice you're kicked out with massive debt. They show you high percentages for STEP because only 20 percent of first semesters make it past COMP. My only motivation is too keep scraping by to get out of living in Coverley and actually enjoy studying medicine. They will make you live in filth with concrete floors and still make you pay 1200US a month for a shared house with 3 other students+charge electricity separately. I can continue bashing ROSS but they did give me the opportunity to gamble a quarter million dollars with my future to become a doctor.
Which semester are you currently in? Are you saying that every Basic Sciences student have has to move to a new room/housing unit every semester regardless of whether or not they applied for new housing? What is your specific room situation (three bedroom, four bedroom, private bath, shared bath)? How much would you say you pay every month just for living expenses? How about the retention rate? What percent of students that started first semester with you are still with you in the current semester that you are in?

Im an upper semester cant say more to stay anonymous and keep letting you guys know what to look out for. Every semester you have to submit an application to fill the houses within time if your a past student, so I sent out the application but because since our roommates are leaving 2/4 we are forced to move elsewhere or find 2 more students wanting to share a bathroom with each other which is impossible because ones always messier. So if you get into an argument with a roommate your stuck with that person no matter what till next semester which is very stressful. Living expenses are rough because we have resorted to eating out because everything is so expensive and you lose valuable time meal prepping etc. only 35 percent of first semesters are still with me. These are the things Ross does not tell you since they are mainly for profit and do not want to miss out on taking your money. We get charged 1,100 US per room in a 4 bedroom, and electricity and water aren't included.This is without the small fees they try to charge you for things like not leaving school during finals to pick up a key while they change locks in your house. Plus they enter your house whenever they want and stuff have gone missing or broken in students houses. Financial aid isn't really enough for many students, especially if you want to travel home to visit family between semesters. I spend about 30 US a day for food and very limited options in school, I saw when students came to visit they put a whole menu out for the students, any other day the food is like elementary school cafeteria from back in the states but cold. The professors are really nice and try to help us any way they can so thats a plus but the deans and owners of the school honestly could care less about the housing situation and say too bad, and when asked why they don't live there they assume your disrespecting them and you get documented in your record so Ive learned there is nothing us students can do.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Im an upper semester cant say more to stay anonymous and keep letting you guys know what to look out for. Every semester you have to submit an application to fill the houses within time if your a past student, so I sent out the application but because since our roommates are leaving 2/4 we are forced to move elsewhere or find 2 more students wanting to share a bathroom with each other which is impossible because ones always messier. So if you get into an argument with a roommate your stuck with that person no matter what till next semester which is very stressful. Living expenses are rough because we have resorted to eating out because everything is so expensive and you lose valuable time meal prepping etc. only 35 percent of first semesters are still with me. These are the things Ross does not tell you since they are mainly for profit and do not want to miss out on taking your money. We get charged 1,100 US per room in a 4 bedroom, and electricity and water aren't included.This is without the small fees they try to charge you for things like not leaving school during finals to pick up a key while they change locks in your house. Plus they enter your house whenever they want and stuff have gone missing or broken in students houses. Financial aid isn't really enough for many students, especially if you want to travel home to visit family between semesters. I spend about 30 US a day for food and very limited options in school, I saw when students came to visit they put a whole menu out for the students, any other day the food is like elementary school cafeteria from back in the states but cold. The professors are really nice and try to help us any way they can so thats a plus but the deans and owners of the school honestly could care less about the housing situation and say too bad, and when asked why they don't live there they assume your disrespecting them and you get documented in your record so Ive learned there is nothing us students can do.
Sadly, all that is said here is 100% true.

This housing situation seems to be very stressful for many students. At first, I wasn't that worried about it since everything seemed to be legit (except for the price, of course). So basically if a roommate of yours decides to move out you are forced to find a replacement roommate or get thrown into an unfavorable housing situation? I was under the impression that once you had a housing unit secured you would stay in the housing unit unless you wanted to move. Does this mean that the price of room and board changes depending on which type of room and house you get moved to? Also, are you saying that if students want to stay on the island during finals/semester breaks they are charged extra?! :unsure: They enter our house whenever they want?! Do they at least let students know when they are coming and what they are coming for? And if faculty don't live in Coverley, where do they live?

About the food thing, is it cheaper to eat out more often than buying your own food and meal prepping? Or is it just more time-efficient? When I came to visit the campus on the tour, they had us eat at the cafeteria in LESC. I personally wasn't too fond of the food anyhow. Are you saying the food selection is even worse on a normal day? :help:

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I'm always looking for someone's honest experience with living in Barbados as a Ross student.

This housing situation seems to be very stressful for many students. At first, I wasn't that worried about it since everything seemed to be legit (except for the price, of course). So basically if a roommate of yours decides to move out you are forced to find a replacement roommate or get thrown into an unfavorable housing situation? I was under the impression that once you had a housing unit secured you would stay in the housing unit unless you wanted to move. Does this mean that the price of room and board changes depending on which type of room and house you get moved to? Also, are you saying that if students want to stay on the island during finals/semester breaks they are charged extra?! :unsure: They enter our house whenever they want?! Do they at least let students know when they are coming and what they are coming for? And if faculty don't live in Coverley, where do they live?

About the food thing, is it cheaper to eat out more often than buying your own food and meal prepping? Or is it just more time-efficient? When I came to visit the campus on the tour, they had us eat at the cafeteria in LESC. I personally wasn't too fond of the food anyhow. Are you saying the food selection is even worse on a normal day? :help:

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I'm always looking for someone's honest experience with living in Barbados as a Ross student.

That food in the cafeteria is time efficient and cheaper, 9 US dollars a meal. It is definitely worse than when you visited but we weren't allowed to tell you that since we would get sent to honor council. I just want you to be aware of this so when you come you can focus on only studying and not get any surprises. I enjoyed this school in knoxville TN since we were independent and allowed to be free but it really feels like a prison in here. Then they wonder why everyone is doing so bad and don't realize the added stress they are causing students from Coverley. I know students that have also tried to sue ROSS just to get an exemption but they fixed their application and contract so that we have to live where they say.

They def dont let you know when they are coming, they say they are trying to put a system in place but that it is too time consuming and they lack those resources. Also they change unless you have the house filled every semester but with the drop rate and arguments everyone ends up moving, around 70 percent. They will try to keep the same thing you asked for like private bathroom room but it isn't for sure because they get taken up fast. They charge you for the month even if you stay or leave but if your roommates wanna stay and use up electricity then you are still charged for it. Faculty lives outside of coverley around the island at nice areas and have their own vehicles. Thing is Ross spends so much money on security that they are trying to upset the cost by charging us more. If you ask for a breakdown of the numbers how much coverley charges ross they will hide it from you and will never give you the real numbers. I tried to work with them and offer areas with better pricing and location closer to campus but they denied it because they want everyone to be close in case of a hurricane.

Your also welcome I just don't like how they have treated many students and are bullying them. They say we will change anything to make it better and easier for students to focus on studying but that certainly is not true. You also have to study at home sometimes because the schools wifi drops every second and you cant have your bluetooth on and a constant WIFI connection. Any questions i missed just let me know or any new questions that come up i have no problem letting you know.

That food in the cafeteria is time efficient and cheaper, 9 US dollars a meal. It is definitely worse than when you visited but we weren't allowed to tell you that since we would get sent to honor council. I just want you to be aware of this so when you come you can focus on only studying and not get any surprises. I enjoyed this school in knoxville TN since we were independent and allowed to be free but it really feels like a prison in here. Then they wonder why everyone is doing so bad and don't realize the added stress they are causing students from Coverley. I know students that have also tried to sue ROSS just to get an exemption but they fixed their application and contract so that we have to live where they say.

They def dont let you know when they are coming, they say they are trying to put a system in place but that it is too time consuming and they lack those resources. Also they change unless you have the house filled every semester but with the drop rate and arguments everyone ends up moving, around 70 percent. They will try to keep the same thing you asked for like private bathroom room but it isn't for sure because they get taken up fast. They charge you for the month even if you stay or leave but if your roommates wanna stay and use up electricity then you are still charged for it. Faculty lives outside of coverley around the island at nice areas and have their own vehicles. Thing is Ross spends so much money on security that they are trying to upset the cost by charging us more. If you ask for a breakdown of the numbers how much coverley charges ross they will hide it from you and will never give you the real numbers. I tried to work with them and offer areas with better pricing and location closer to campus but they denied it because they want everyone to be close in case of a hurricane.

Your also welcome I just don't like how they have treated many students and are bullying them. They say we will change anything to make it better and easier for students to focus on studying but that certainly is not true. You also have to study at home sometimes because the schools wifi drops every second and you cant have your bluetooth on and a constant WIFI connection. Any questions i missed just let me know or any new questions that come up i have no problem letting you know.

Hi I have a few questions too if OP does not mind me asking! (ty in advance)

1. So, on Ross's website they list the price of each of the type of housing plans. You stated you paid $1100 for your room at ross in the Coverely Village. Is that $1100 per month? I would assume so because on Ross's website the housing prices per semester is about $4k-4.8k.

2. You say that there are only 35% of people from your first semester, does that mean 65% dropped out/kicked out or what? What would you say the main reason why Ross is losing so many students? Is there not sufficient support for Ross students to do well? Also, what are some of your tips for surviving through such a high attrition rate.

3. You said they can come in your room and they even steal stuff? Are you allowed to lock your items up or how do you combat them from stealing your personal belongings.

1100 USD a month to share a house with other people on a third world island sounds absolutely absurd. In med school I lived in a high rise building, 3 bedroom furnished apartment, in a major city for less than that. Unbelievable.

Hi I have a few questions too if OP does not mind me asking! (ty in advance)

1. So, on Ross's website they list the price of each of the type of housing plans. You stated you paid $1100 for your room at ross in the Coverely Village. Is that $1100 per month? I would assume so because on Ross's website the housing prices per semester is about $4k-4.8k.

2. You say that there are only 35% of people from your first semester, does that mean 65% dropped out/kicked out or what? What would you say the main reason why Ross is losing so many students? Is there not sufficient support for Ross students to do well? Also, what are some of your tips for surviving through such a high attrition rate.

3. You said they can come in your room and they even steal stuff? Are you allowed to lock your items up or how do you combat them from stealing your personal belongings.

You are charged per semester and water and electricity are not included in those housing prices that ross has online. Most fail out because its a game of finding out how efficient you can study and use your time. This isn't like undergrad, and some professors are not the best at teaching or understanding. So you have to put in time to use outside resources to really understand the material and ignore extra information that is not tested. Its really exploring and finding different methods that work for you to be honest, everyone really is different. If I would recommend something is to have a group of no more than 3 students at your speed level and actively learn and quiz each other concepts and explain it to each other even though you know the material like active learning. For the room thing they have cracked on it and have 1 person from ross watching 5 houses whenever they are working or doing construction in your room however if they are all in rooms 1 staff member cant see if they steal anything if they are not in a certain house watching them that moment.

1100 USD a month to share a house with other people on a third world island sounds absolutely absurd. In med school I lived in a high rise building, 3 bedroom furnished apartment, in a major city for less than that. Unbelievable.
Yup which is all our frustration, there is dirt everywhere and its so uncomfortable, trash at times gets piled up outside your house because they skip trash pick ups and its just not worth the money, and exemptions are said to be offered but no one really gets them so its all a lie.

That food in the cafeteria is time efficient and cheaper, 9 US dollars a meal. It is definitely worse than when you visited but we weren't allowed to tell you that since we would get sent to honor council.

Then they wonder why everyone is doing so bad and don't realize the added stress they are causing students from Coverley. I know students that have also tried to sue ROSS just to get an exemption but they fixed their application and contract so that we have to live where they say.

They def dont let you know when they are coming, they say they are trying to put a system in place but that it is too time consuming and they lack those resources.

This is terrible, this is like the extortion happening at Saba with housing. If illegal practices are taking place, and I don't know if they are on Barbados, but you should be allowed to inquire/complain without repercussions.

In Saba some students went to a lawyer and checked with local law and were able to confirm that the law was indeed being broken by the landlords but when they went to the administration to complain they were threatened with dismissal if they didn't pay the illegal extra fees and let the landlords keep three months deposit when they moved out, even when they gave them enough notice by law. These practices - trying to prevent complaining, is pure unadulterated extortion. It's very sad to hear that other places are doing it as well. In Saba nothing has changed as of the time of writing this, but Barbados has a court system - so something should be done!

This is also similar to Saba in that they walk into the apartments in Saba without notice or warning even when students aren't home and things go missing. Again, this is illegal under local law but the local landlords don't treat the students fairly, they treat them like money bags. I understand that I'm now talking about a different island but the description sounds similar so I can believe it. Also on Saba if a roommate moves out you are charged for that roommates rent even if you rented your room directly from the landlord as a room in a house. These practices are illegal but oftentimes you don't get access to legal treatment. In Saba you don't have access to courts at all and the practice continues because, landlords have told me, a selection of the landlords pay the university administrators to kick out students that don't comply. If that is what is happening at Ross, someone needs to go to the police, that's got to stop.

If you are threatened with dismissal from the university for bringing illegal practices to someone's attention, you are being threatened with the loss of tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in exchange for someone to gain a few thousand illegally. That's extortion.

I have spoken to someone who has been a Dean at a med school on another island and he fought against this involvement of the landlords with the university at least where he worked, but that was then. I guess administers understand it's a cash cow. It's corruption. Pure and simple. No one can pretend it's not.

I wish you guys on Barbados the best of luck and I hope it's not as bad as Saba. The level of corruption on Saba has reached a level that it will be the downfall of the university - people are leaving like rats on a sinking ship. But hopefully it's not at the same level over there. I do wish you all luck.

To all my amigos down in the islands...

Keep your head down, when you finally breathe in that sweet American air... wow

Reactions: 3 users
What about family visit say a weekend etc...can guest stay in housing or find a hotel kinda thing?

Has the living conditions changed or is it pretty much the same? @RossStudent123
Hello Somotor!

I hope you are doing well. I am currently doing 3rd semester at Ross. As for now, we are living in our houses in US territory because of the COVID situation. Ross is planning to make the cohort of the Upcoming 1/3X/4C semesters to return to the island on January. The island of Barbados extended the state of emergency until March, nevertheless, Ross curriculum will be kept online, for now with limited access for the Ross building. I am not sure how it will be for first semesters.
For housing, you will be required to fill a housing request into the housing site. In that form you will choose which outline you would like (if 2 people, 3 people or 4 people), if private or shared bathroom, they will accommodate you with random roommates if there is availability, in order of priority. If you have a group or know people that you would like to live with, you can submit a request as a group to live together in the same house. Also, if by any chance you don't like with who you are living with or would like to move, they provide a period of one week after the first month or so, to submit request of moving. Meaning, that you will have the opportunity to move if you don't like your living situation or where you are living. Be mindful that they set the times to do changes, and outside of that time you cannot do any changes.
The houses are little, compared to houses in the US, rent is deducted at the start of the semester, so depending on the outline you are accommodated in, that will be the price. I chose a 3 rooms shared bathroom, and I paid $4,200/semester. Some people have experienced problems with centipedes entering their house, at least I've never seen one in mine.
In terms of accessibility of groceries, at Coverley you will have a grocery store called Massy's, and there are several local restaurants and "food trucks" in the middle of the "Coverley Village", that you could go and buy fast food if you want. However, in terms of groceries, I found limited variety, but it helped, at least for me (it was my only option during the start of the Covid emergency). Coverley is 20 minutes driving distance, away from the school, they provide buses to go there. Close to the school (walking distance) there is a mall called SkyMall there is another Massy's supermarket and this one is bigger and has more variety, you might do your groceries there too, after taking the bus to school. Some weekends they also provided buses to another mall and another supermarket that had a little cheaper prices than the one in Coverley. This extra buses I think are programmed by student affairs; I have an understanding, that they not necessarily could be available all semesters. So your transportation will be limited to school transportation or taxis, or if you decide to rent a car.
When the Covid crisis came, I decided to stay to complete the semester. All buses were cancelled, and the people who stayed only had access to Coverley stuff, unless they paid a taxi. Sadly, that time did felt a little like prison, since there were curfew restrictions, also there were restrictions into which days you could go out and do groceries.

Reactions: 2 users
you are the real mvp @rockroovy. Thanks so much. Will definitely factor this detailed layout in engineering my choices.

@Update - Considering joining in Jan or May 2022.

1- Fail/Pass rates change?
2- Living Conditions still the same?

@Update - Considering joining in Jan or May 2022.

1- Fail/Pass rates change?
2- Living Conditions still the same?
Idk, I think you're better off improving your app (gpa and/or mcat) and get into a US med school (MD or DO) than going to the Caribbean route because you're most likely going to end up in primary care or a low-medium competitive specialty.

The hardest part is getting through the attrition rate and the amount of BS that the admin throws at you. So, yes the pass/fail rate is still the same as nothing really has changed. Of course, this was given that school has been online for the past year and a half. Classes will return back in person on the island starting this fall 2021, so you will be in person. While they don't actively look at ways to weed students out, but the attrition rate is mostly due to accepting students of lower caliber compared to US schools, thus these students are unable to handle the rigors of med school. A low gpa student does not magically become a high performing student over night, let alone in med school.

I can't comment on the state of Barbados right now, but when I lived there (before covid hit), what was described above still holds true but other things have changed. The rent was ridiculously high for what they offered, but apparently you can opt to live somewhere else besides their housings. However, depending on where you live, you might have to figure out your own ride to LESC (campus). At least the house that I stayed at was clean for the most part, which could be due to the fact that my roommates and I are clean people. The only annoying thing is the cleanliness of the cooking things and plates/cups. You could get it replaced if previous students who lived there didn't clean it well, but I found it easier just to buy my own set. From the ones who went back either Jan 2021 semester or just this semester (May 2021), I heard that there were power outages, covid cases, closing of the LESC due to covid, etc.