Ross Vet School Acceptance January 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daddywaddy2003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I've been accepted into the Ross Vet School Class of 2014 and wanted to see if there was anyone else out there thats been accepted as well. Want to see how this whole process has been going for you, see if I am on the same page and such :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey daddywaddy2003, I am accepted to Vet Prep Jan 14 I'm seeing if they can move to to first semester based on my last semester grades so we will see about that in the mean time. My prep is not as advanced as I would like I continue to email and call people weekly but cannot get any help. I have not made flight reservations or anything as my housing is not set up. honestly I am pretty frustrated already. you?
-Lindsey

I was accepted into the January class!! I haven't received my packet of information yet. It may be here next week. I just found out on Monday that I was accepted. I was told orientation is Monday December 30th but if I saw correctly the coating ceremony is not until January 6th. My question is are they giving us a week to get accustomed to the island or what??

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted into the January class!! I haven't received my packet of information yet. It may be here next week. I just found out on Monday that I was accepted. I was told orientation is Monday December 30th but if I saw correctly the coating ceremony is not until January 6th. My question is are they giving us a week to get accustomed to the island or what??

Yep, you have a week of orientation (usually a Friday-Friday or saturday/sunday-friday depending on when you arrive on the island) and then your white coat ceremony is the first Monday of the semester after your classes.

What is orientation like if you dont mind me asking??

It is a blast! Your orientation leader will pick you and your group up at the airport and help you get your bags back to the on campus housing if that's where you're staying. (I don't know how things work if you're living off campus for your first semester) Then for the whole next week you'll be doing island activities to get you acquainted with the island as well as the necessary Ross events like getting your visa application taken care of, orientation lectures, financial aid, ID badges, etc. It's super fun...you have to live it up during that week because once classes start you really won't see the beach much lol But it really depends on what your group wants to do. When your group has free time you can really do anything. My group went zip lining and we went on the bat cave hike. They'll take you on an island tour and show you all of the popular beaches and restaurants. It was the best week ever but it really wears you out lol you get up super early, do a TON throughout the day and then you're just ready to pass out when everything is over.

Wow that sounds really fun! I've got to get used to getting up early again. That does NOT sound like fun lol. But I guess I didnt realize orientation was a whole week. I figured it was like undergrad where you went for one day and then that was it. I am staying on campus my first semester so I dont have to worry about off campus living arrangements. I have another question though. Did your mom or parents go to your white coat ceremony? Did they go to orientation with you as well? My mom definitely wants to be there for the white coat ceremony but I dont think she would even need to be there for the orientation or if I would even have time to see her.

i think so, do a TON throughout the day and then you're just ready to pass out when everything is over.
27.gif

Wow that sounds really fun! I've got to get used to getting up early again. That does NOT sound like fun lol. But I guess I didnt realize orientation was a whole week. I figured it was like undergrad where you went for one day and then that was it. I am staying on campus my first semester so I dont have to worry about off campus living arrangements. I have another question though. Did your mom or parents go to your white coat ceremony? Did they go to orientation with you as well? My mom definitely wants to be there for the white coat ceremony but I dont think she would even need to be there for the orientation or if I would even have time to see her.

There were some parents that came down with their children. They are allowed to come to whatever with the group but transportation is NOT provided. We get a taxi provided to us for the week for free and the only other people allowed to ride it for free are people that are permanently staying on the island with you. But a lot of parents came out with us to the beach, out to dinner, etc. and they just paid for their own taxi or rented a car. And as a student, you aren't required to do every single one of the activities that the group decides on..if your mom is here and you just want to chill with her sometimes that is perfectly fine. But there were a lot of parents at the white coat ceremony! I know another girl in my group had her parents just fly in the weekend before white coat so that they didn't have to be alone while she was doing orientation things.

Okay thats basically what my parents are going to do. They are planning on flying in on a Friday and leaving Tuesday after my white coat ceremony is over. I knew transportation wasn't provided for them bc I got my welcome packet. Plus it is way too expensive for them to stay with me a whole week down there. But thanks for all of the information! It has been a big help. Im sure I'll have more questions soon.

So I've been super busy with school and stuff. I haven't gotten my welcome packet yet :( but I have gotten emails from the new student cordinator and today I filled out the housing questionaire thingy! And sent an email bout financial aid. All exciting stuff! Lol. I don't think my parents are going to go with me for orientation cuz I'm probably gonna be busy doing lot of stuff and well I know theyre going to want me to do my own thing. Oh I also was added to the fb group, you should look into if you haven't already :)

Hi! I was just wondering if you guys could tell me how soon after your application was complete were you notified that you had an interview? Thank you!

I think it was like two weeks. It could probably be as long as a month depending on how busy the school is with the new incoming class. Also, does anyone know when we get our housing assignments?

Members don't see this ad :)
It took a while for me to be notified. I think I submitted the application around April or so and I got an interview for July

Hi everyone!

I just accepted Ross's offer for the Jan 2014 DVM semester. Ross and SGU had originally offered me vet prep and since Ross took so long to get back to me with their decision I had to give a tuition deposit to SGU. Then after I bought my plane ticket for SGU, Ross called and offered me DVM instead of vet prep. So. Here I am! Heading to St. Kitts for the experience of a lifetime! I am very excited to start. I too was wondering when we will be notified of our housing arrangements. I will be living on campus for first semester. I fly out Dec. 28th from Tampa to Miami then to St. Kitts.

You probably already got your housing assignment. I got mine last week, I'm leaving the 28th as we'll :)

Hi everyone! I just was offered admission to Ross for January! I'm incredibly excited and just waiting to hear from SGU before making a final decision. I would love to hear from any students that chose Ross over SGU and why. Also, any advice from people that have gone through this post-admit process would be great.

Hi everyone! I just was offered admission to Ross for January! I'm incredibly excited and just waiting to hear from SGU before making a final decision. I would love to hear from any students that chose Ross over SGU and why. Also, any advice from people that have gone through this post-admit process would be great.

Last I heard from SGU the Jan class is filled (if that's when you're aiming to enter). They're offering spots off a waitlist. This was last week when they told me, but you might want to check and see if anything has changed

Last I heard from SGU the Jan class is filled (if that's when you're aiming to enter). They're offering spots off a waitlist. This was last week when they told me, but you might want to check and see if anything has changed
I'm under consideration for the foundations program at SGU so I'm not sure if that is affected.

Also, do we have a Facebook group going?

For Ross? or SDN? I'm assuming you mean Ross- in which case after you give them your final decision to attend Ross, they'll give you the link to the Facebook group.

Hey! I was just invited to interview for the Fall 2014 class, any interview advice!? I haven't really seen any threads about what to expect in a Ross interview. Thanks!!

Hey! I was just invited to interview for the Fall 2014 class, any interview advice!? I haven't really seen any threads about what to expect in a Ross interview. Thanks!!

There are a couple threads floating around, have you tried using the search function on the forum? You may have to dig a bit. When I have some time I can message you a little bit about my interview and what to expect..but for the most part I wouldn't stress over it too much- it's mostly conversational and less interrogatory but there are some exceptions for people I've talked to since getting here. They just want to discuss your struggles and your successes so be prepared to be asked about low grades, hard semesters, etc. as well as leadership positions, your strengths, your goals, etc.

I just got an interview for Ross's August 2014 class! I too have been having a really difficult time finding info on Ross interviews on here. I know a lot of people do Skype interviews, but mines in person two weeks from now. Can anyone please help me out and give me some advice on the interview?! Maybe some questions you were asked or how formal it was? Anything will help! Thank you! :)

I just got an interview for Ross's August 2014 class! I too have been having a really difficult time finding info on Ross interviews on here. I know a lot of people do Skype interviews, but mines in person two weeks from now. Can anyone please help me out and give me some advice on the interview?! Maybe some questions you were asked or how formal it was? Anything will help! Thank you! :)
Posting the same question on three different threads isn't going to get you an answer any quicker. I just did a quick search for Ross Interviews by clicking on Search Forums at the top of this page, then searching for "ross interview" and indicated the pre-vet forum and got plenty of matches with information.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/preparing-for-ross-interview.703590/#post-9287784

that thread has a lot of sample questions :)

Congrats! When did you submit your application? Was it through VMCAS or through Ross? I applied through VMCAS for August 2014 and haven't heard from them since they sent me an email confirming they received my application.

Congrats! When did you submit your application? Was it through VMCAS or through Ross? I applied through VMCAS for August 2014 and haven't heard from them since they sent me an email confirming they received my application.

I applied through VMCAS. they emailed me about a month ago saying my application was received and again earlier this week saying it was in review. and then the next day I got the email saying I got an interview.

I just got accepted for the January 2014 term YESTERDAY!
I feel like i have zero time to prepare, im freaking out just a little bit.....!

What has everyone done so far to prepare? I have no idea where to start!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!
I was just accepted yesterday to the January 2014 class (interviewed on 11/7). Boy, do I have a lot to do! I'm still waiting on my official packet in the mail.
Anyone know if 2 or 3 bedroom apartments are left? I really want to live with a roommate or two. Anyone else coming from the Dallas area?

Also-- I'm waiting on my official packet. When does orientation start? I need to start looking at plane tickets.

Hi everyone!
I was just accepted yesterday to the January 2014 class (interviewed on 11/7). Boy, do I have a lot to do! I'm still waiting on my official packet in the mail.
Anyone know if 2 or 3 bedroom apartments are left? I really want to live with a roommate or two. Anyone else coming from the Dallas area?

Also-- I'm waiting on my official packet. When does orientation start? I need to start looking at plane tickets.

All of the doubles and triples have been assigned, so if there is still enough housing for you, you will be in a single :( The semester starts on January 6th so you will fly in sometime during the weekend of Dec 27-29 and your orientation week will start on Monday, December 30th officially, although a lot of groups will do stuff the weekend before if everyone from your group has arrived. You should be getting a swarm of emails any day now with more specific, concrete dates and information so don't make any plans based on what I've said lol.

Congrats to both of you on your acceptances! I couldn't imagine trying to get everything prepared to move in less than a month...good luck! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I feel you, no idea how I'll get it all done
But we will! Go join the Facebook group!

I feel you, no idea how I'll get it all done
But we will! Go join the Facebook group!
Oh I'm already here on the island :) Ross has a Vet Prep program that some people have to pass before gaining admittance into the actual first semester and I've been here since August doing that. But I will be part of the January class!

I'm trying to figure out when I should put my two weeks in at work. I want all the extra cash I can take but need a little R&R with family and friends before class starts. I've been obsessively checking my email for any more instructions. I am submitting my $1000 deposit tonight and am hoping that I get the Facebook group invite soon.
Also-- you have to live on campus the first year, correct? And if you live on campus you can't bring pets? I wanted to bring my cat but from what it looks like, I may have to wait til 2nd year?

I'm trying to figure out when I should put my two weeks in at work. I want all the extra cash I can take but need a little R&R with family and friends before class starts. I've been obsessively checking my email for any more instructions. I am submitting my $1000 deposit tonight and am hoping that I get the Facebook group invite soon.
Also-- you have to live on campus the first year, correct? And if you live on campus you can't bring pets? I wanted to bring my cat but from what it looks like, I may have to wait til 2nd year?

Correct- you have to live on campus unless they run out of housing, which they did for my incoming class. And you're not allowed animals on campus. If you absolutely must bring your cat now, I think you can forego the on campus housing and move directly off campus. Otherwise, you don't have to wait until second YEAR, just second semester, which will start in May..so you'll only be without your cat for a few months :)

As far as working goes...I gave myself one full week before I left to just relax with my boyfriend and family and I thought it was a suitable amount of time. Any more down time and I think I may have gone crazy just from anxiety, nervousness, and excitement.

I don't even know how I'd go about looking for off campus housing, ah!
With only a little over a month before needing to leave, I really can't afford to wait two weeks for my admissions packet.

I don't even know how I'd go about looking for off campus housing, ah!
With only a little over a month before needing to leave, I really can't afford to wait two weeks for my admissions packet.

I really wouldn't recommend living off campus at first anyway- living in the apartments on campus has really made for a smooth and comfortable transition to "island life" without the hassle of living on your own in a foreign country. If you can find a family member or friend to take care of your cat for the few months that you're away, I think that's the best way to go.

Hello,
I had an interview at the beginning of February and have yet to hear anything back.. During my interview, I was told 4-6 weeks, and this is the 6th week!
I'm getting anxious!

Hello,
I had an interview at the beginning of February and have yet to hear anything back.. During my interview, I was told 4-6 weeks, and this is the 6th week!
I'm getting anxious!

I had an interview with RUSVM last week, and was told I would know their final decision mid-week of this week. I have not been contacted yet though, and am getting anxious also. Maybe we'll get contacted tomorrow or early next week?